1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Josh Ichimaru's Grey Lizardmen

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Josh Ichimaru, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Josh Ichimaru
    Cold One

Josh Ichimaru Member

Here are my lizzie's i would like to note that I lack experince and skill in painting minatures and any contructive critisim and tips are appreciated :)

(I would like to note that i took these photos in the middle of the day although the setting which allowed me to get detail into the photo's caused a loss of light)

056.jpg 055.jpg 053.jpg 052.jpg 051.jpg 057.jpg 058.jpg
    Next up is my saurus, I have only painted one so far, and plan on making the shields purple. I also spilt some red ink on him accidently XD, Yes I havent painted the spear yet, I was trying to make it look firey then abandoned the idea.

059.jpg 061.jpg 062.jpg
    Last of all, I have started painting my stegadon, yes its not great but im trying :p

063.jpg 064.jpg 065.jpg

2. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Hi Josh, first of all, for someone who lacks experience in painting, I must say you did a great job with those first Lizardmen models. You seem to have good brush control, which will allow you to improve very fast if you care to spend the time learning some more advanced painting techniques. Now, onward with the constructive criticism:

- I like the skin tone for both the saurus and the skinks, but I think there could be a more defined constrast between between the scales and the skin. I think highlighting the scales would work but you would have to check with a more experienced painter.

- The skink crest could stand out more. Maybe a blue-ish to white-ish crest would do the trick. You could also look at a color wheel to find a complementary color to your skin tone.

- I really like the early work on the stegadon. I advice you glue the head before you keep working on him though, the glue might mess some part of your paintjob.

3. Rokanos
    Kroxigor

Rokanos Well-Known Member

SebM pretty much covered everything, but I'll throw in a couple tidbits of my own.

My skinks' skin tone are also based grey (you can see them through my painting log via my sig). I did a fair amount of trying different colors until I got something I liked, but it really just comes down to what feel you are going for. I wanted mine to look a bit poisonous so I went with a brighter yellow/orange and went with a blue to teal crest. You want to stick with brighter colors if you are going for the same poisonous feel. If you want a more natural feel, I would go with something darker, like this or even a brown, the scales, however, I would do a darker green with very minimal highlights.

The saurus - I honestly really love the shield the way it is, it looks great.

4. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

I agree with Rokanos on the shield, don't change it. You could add some white ''warpaint'' on it to create some contrast but it does look awesome as it is right now.

5. nightmareius
    Saurus

nightmareius New Member

i agree they are great for first goes, and i love the grey is it just the codex grey paint with no mix and fdid u water it down. also the shields do look cool. post more when you get it cant wait to see some more of your work.

6. Josh Ichimaru
    Cold One

Josh Ichimaru Member

Im think of either doing a poisionous green hilight which would look epic like THIS colour or blazing orange scales like THIS colour. Im htinking the green would look great in contrast with the black i want that poisiony green colour that contrasts well wiht black I can imagine it in my head but i cant pick out a specific tone. It need to be bright but not too bright if you know what i mean.

Thanks for the tips and help, yeh I was planing on glueing the stegs head on last, I only put a tiny amount of glue on the plastic bits i wish to paint then let them melt a little im not one of the too much glue everywhere poeple.

I have panted a carnifex a long time ago and I was about 12 or 13 and it looked like crap but other than that this is my first models other than my purple lizardmen which I didnt go into detail and paints messy and everywhere.

If anyone knows the perfect green please post it here thanks.
    I could call make them a venomhide brood.

7. Josh Ichimaru
    Cold One

Josh Ichimaru Member

I painted the scales on some skinks last night I made 3 with scorpion green scales and one with snot green scales, i presonly liked the green because it was mor striking, i might use snot green on my sarui though.
    Here is the snot green one:
    IMG_0623.jpg And here is the scropion green one.
    IMG_0629.jpg IMG_0630.jpg

Comments please.

8. nightmareius
    Saurus

nightmareius New Member

i like both but the second one stands out more

9. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

It's really hard to tell because of the bad quality of the pictures. From what I can see though, the 2nd one stand out a lot more but I'd rather keep my final judgement until I see better pictures.

10. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Use both. The brighter green does make them look more striking, but it looks unfinished. Try painting first snot green, then highlight or carefully drybrush scorpion green on top. It will take a little longer, but will look a lot better. Might even be worth throwing a wash over it after those two are done.

11. Josh Ichimaru
    Cold One

Josh Ichimaru Member

Yeh i was thinking about drubrushing them ive done it before its not that hard on skink scales, its alot more anoying on the salamnders.

12. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Yeah, as was mentioned in another thread painting is about getting out what you put in. Don't want to go to the trouble of layering them, no worries, tabletop models. Do want to, better models for photography. Up to you really.

13. Josh Ichimaru
    Cold One

Josh Ichimaru Member

I fianly got around to painitng my slann, I spent over 14 hours on him and although hes not perfect but perfect enough for me! = )
    Sorry hes not glued together yet, i need some greenstuff his chair fits horribly at the moment I will update after he is fully assembled!

Pics below

IMG_0681.jpg IMG_0677.jpg IMG_0676.jpg IMG_0675.jpg IMG_0674.jpg IMG_0679.jpg

So what do you guys think?

14. Rokanos
    Kroxigor

Rokanos Well-Known Member

I really like the colors of that slann! the red on the grey is superb! Great job!

15. lambobolt
    Skink

lambobolt New Member

very nice! and i applaud you for getting it done so quickly!

one thing that jumped out at me as i was looking at it, maybe because your signature has a picture of a cat, but are the slann's eyes just green? what about adding in a sliver of black to give it that cat-like look? or something else, i dont think an dot would look right on a slann, but it just seems like that would give it that little extra detail to really stand out!

and i like the color contract on the lower lip to make that stand out! great job!

16. Josh Ichimaru
    Cold One

Josh Ichimaru Member

Lazy Josh is lazy, yeh i havent bothered to update this, plus ive had a break from paiting I "might' get somthing done this weekend we will see :p anyway sarus:

17. Divinor
    Cold One

Divinor Member

Looking good! I was thinking of using a similar color for my saurus. Looking forward for more updates!