1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contest July-August 2017 Short Story Contest

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by Scalenex, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I'd thought I'd start the contest on time for a change.

The previous contest winner @Y'ttar Scaletail has given me a contest theme nice and quick. It is Time and/or Fire

The Rules
    -We would like you to try to keep your story between 500 and 2000 words. I am requiring that entries do not exceed 2400 words. This is counting title, poems, quotes, any add-ons. If I get a submission that exceeds 2400 words, I will trim it till it meets the limit, and you may not like what I choose to cut.
    -Your name must appear nowhere with the story. There is no point in having an anonymous competition based on skill if we know whose entry is whose.
    -You must send your story via private message to Scalenex before midnight (US Central time) on July 31st.
    -The story must be new. No dragging up a story you wrote months or years ago.
    -No plagiarism. This means no stealing a story verbatim. You are free to use characters or settings from other works including other writer's fluff pieces and past short story contest entries.
    -The story must involve Lizardmen (or Seraphon or Salamanders or Saurian Ancients) at least a little
    -The story must stick roughly within the theme, at least a little.
    -No comics or illustrations. This is a short story contest. Visuals are limited to fonts and text colors. We have regular contests for visual art.
    -Only one entry allowed per person.

I will do my best to providing proofreading and general advise to writers who ask for it though admittedly, July is a busy time for me at work with mandatory overtime a plenty, so expect general advice, not fine detail edits. Keep in mind there is usually a flood of entries coming in the last week, so the earlier you submit your piece to me, the easier it will be for me to help you.

You are welcome, even encouraged, to ask anyone else you wish for help or advice.

Once again, the winner of this contest has the honor of choosing the next contest theme if they so choose. This time because I do not want to be saddled with coming up with a last minute topic. If the winner does not give me a topic within a week of winning, I will pass this burden honor on to the runner-up.

If you want to talk about the theme or your eagerness to write or read something. Please do so below!

thedarkfourth and Ritual like this.
  2. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

The theme is a very broad one (two).

"time" will obviously be the main focus. "will i find the time to think to a good idea and write something?" :p

thedarkfourth, Essmir and Ritual like this.
  3. Essmir
    Chameleon Skink

Essmir Well-Known Member

Will I make it in time?

Ritual likes this.
  4. Y'ttar Scaletail
    Troglodon

Y'ttar Scaletail Well-Known Member

So, this is what happened:

I, humble and honest Y'ttar was sitting in my den totally not plotting the demise of the lizard-things when my door flew off its hinges and in strode Scalenex with an aura of decay and rotten flesh not far off from the scent of a pot noodle.

"Y'ttar!" he cried as in my rush to not hide my plans for domination I knocked over a totally not warp-lamp, "I need story themes! I want to be on time with this one." He pointed a bony digit for emphasis.

"Err..." I began as the smashed totally not warplamp's fuel caught and my den felt a lot warmer all of a sudden.

Scalenex drew in close with glowing eye sockets and added "or else..."

Desperately I tried to say that I needed more time but it came out as "time-time!"

Scalenex smiled, but it's hard to tell and began to leave. As I breathed a sigh of relief I turned and saw my totally not plans for domination ablaze. "Fire!" I cried. Scalenex merely jotted that down too and left.

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

It was the best of times (8th edition Warhammer), it was the worst of times (AoS). The Lizardmen would soon begin to understand suffering that was previously thought unimaginable.

The End.

It is short, beautiful and relevant. If it had been submitted anonymously, met the word length criteria and didn't plagiarize a major work of fiction, this contest would have been over before it had even started.

This is just for laughs, no need to get upset my fellow peeps/lizards/seraphons.

6. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

:sorry:
    :peeking:
    Dejá-Dejá ...Vu-Vu
    o_O

Paradoxical Pacifism and Ritual like this.
  7. Killer Angel
    Slann

Wasn't that the End of Times? ;)

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Nope... the End Times was the transition point leading from the best of times to the worst of times. :D

9. Scalenex
    Slann

Basically I scare my victim into randomly spewing words they see or are thinking about. I think School House Rock was playing during the Conjunction/Choices theme choosing.

10. Y'ttar Scaletail
    Troglodon

Y'ttar Scaletail Well-Known Member

Hm, think I might actually have something for this! XD

How's everyone else doing?

11. Killer Angel
    Slann

Real Life stroke me hard, so I am still at starting point. Waiting. :(

12. Wolfwerty33
    Cold One

Wolfwerty33 Active Member

I have a title, a plan for setting, and some advice. I can do this!

13. pendrake
    Skink Priest

No progress. I remember having a vague idea. But it is almost forgottenated. :(

Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.
  14. Scolenex
    Ripperdactil

Scolenex Well-Known Member

Scalenex informs me that most short story contest entries occur in the last week of the entry period, but usually there are a few early entrants. Scalenex does not have any yet.

When Scalenex tells me his "concerns" he wants a certain panda to make things better. Better get writing. I warn you, if I have to get cute it's gonna get ugly.

15. Scalenex
    Slann

I got two entries, so we can officially have a contest now. I am calling off the panda.

16. RoseThorn
    Saurus

RoseThorn Active Member

The suspense is killing me.

17. Essmir
    Chameleon Skink

Essmir Well-Known Member

I have also a entry if I managed all the previous times I will do it now. However in current time I only have a beginning and a beginning of the end so the time don't flow properly through the story.

18. pendrake
    Skink Priest

Maybe that is two different stories?

19. Essmir
    Chameleon Skink

Essmir Well-Known Member

Oh no, I won't have TIME fore that ;)

20. pendrake
    Skink Priest

Pick one?

(Do the other one later as either prequel or sequel.)