1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion July - Sept Visual Art Contest (WIP Thread)

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by spawning of Bob, Jul 17, 2016.

1. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

We Honour the Old One Aartzifartzi with sacrifices of fresh art.
    Will he / she / it be pleased with your offering?

The theme for the competition will be Conjunction and/or Choice

Entries Closed Aug 31, 2016. The Gallery and Voting Thread are HERE

Lustria Online's first visual art competition was a great success, with @Warden only just pipping @pendrake for the Great One's blessing and the accolades of his scaly brethren. @Warden was back to take the second comp, too.:eek:

The theme is Conjunction and/or Choice Any thematic resemblance to another competition or competitions is due to the Great Plan. If you don't believe me, you need to contemplate harder. Sounds like a tricky theme to illustrate? Use it as a insprational jumping off point. Great Aartzifartzi will catch you.
    Maybe.

The Rules...
    ... are as follows, but please be reminded that they are subject to alteration in future comps. The purpose of the comp is to encourage participation at all levels of ability, not to impede potential artists.

• The contest is not anonymous.
    • The work should be able to be able to be contained on an A4 page with reasonable resolution. This will allow for short graphic stories but not multi page stories. The emphasis is the art rather than an amazing plot.
    • The artist may include speech and thought bubbles, but the words should constitute less than one quarter of the page.
    • The artist may include a title and/or a caption of up two lines long after the image.
    • The image may not be animated or have embedded sounds or speech. This would be awesome and I hope we can do an animation comp in the future, but keep it steady (and quiet) please.
    • New rule! Animated 3D Sculpts are go go go! (just for @Phoedinn, or any other sculptoids)
    • The image must involve Lizardmen (or Seraphon or Salamanders or Skaven with disguises. Yes, really. Didn't you read the theme?
    • The image must stick roughly within the theme.
    • The image must be new. No recycling and re-purposing old images.
    • Photoshop art IS OK but the final image should be have at least half of the image as original work. i.e. The back ground could be from Leonardo Da Google and be less than 50% of the image. OR the background could be an originally taken photograph of a Mayan pyramid taken by the entrant and be larger than 50%. This rule links to the next one.
    • Wherever the image components come from, please acknowledge the attribution of other people's work. Your entry should include the web addresses of any images that you have enhanced by pasting lizardmen all over them. This is polite and possibly, you know, legal.
    • Only one entry allowed per person / collaboration.
    • Having said that, collaborative entries by multiple entrants are fine. Check what @details and @n810 did in the first comp and you will agree that this is a good thing. Also n810+details, n810+Bob and n810+Scolenex would all be eligible entries - one per collaboration.

• You must send your image to Spawning of Bob by the End Times Midnight Pago Pago time (just google it) on Aug 31, 2016.
    • You can paste the image in a PM to me, PM the image using a "direct link" on image hosting software such as photobucket or imageshack, or just email the .jpeg, .png or .bmp or whatever to spawningofbob@gmail.com

• Voting will be open for until the end of Sept 2016. Discussion with / about the artists is OK during the voting period. The number of votes for each voter will be one for each three entries (rounded down).
    • There is a tiny chance that voters will consider adherence to the theme.
    • There will be a Best of 2016 comp which will be about flat-out-awesomeness and not theme linkage.
    The NOT-Rules...
    • This thread is the official get inspiration / get help / just enjoy being creative together thread.
    • There are some other threads worth looking at for inspiration, advice and technological know how. These include the previous comp WIP thread and this even less complete than usual tutorial thread.
    • Please please please retain WIP stages of your project. We can all learn from / sympathise with the challenges you surmount on your journey. The rising tide floats all boats, and your experience will encourage others to contribute in future.
    • Please don't pretend you are dead if I contact you to write a tutorial about your chosen medium.
    • Include a description of the method / medium with your entry (e.g. pencil on paper watercolour on skaven-hide, computer and mouse with MS paint, tablet and finger) If you don't, I will make something up that you might regret.
    • Ask for help with electronica if it isn't your thing. I can advise about free tablet drawing software, image hosting and posting, and free software which does post-scanner enhancement of pencil and paper art. @n810 knows his way around Photoshop. @Hyperborean is a gun with Paint Tool SAI. MS Paint probably won't kill you for simple image editing - get the help you need to bring your image to life.
    • No inspiration? Slap yourself, then read the July August Short Story Contest entries - the competition host has stolen our theme idea! Feel free to do an illustration for someone else's story (or your own).
    • Be bold and experimental. If you want to raise your artistic banner, you are sure to get many salutes. Or nervous squeaks if your banner is the one made of skaven pelts.

Once again, I acknowledge the champions of forum comps, our own @Scalenex and Ratty Gnawtail of the unsuppressible Under-Empire Forum. Y'ttar Scaletail is just a lizard who sometimes appears and talks with a stutter.

You have until 31 August

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  2. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

24 days left for visual art comp entries, lizards.

Now that the story comp entries are out, there should be plenty of inspiration. Last art comp had 5 story inspired entries (and 2 Lord Tombo ones).

I have finally decided what I am going to do, and it is a moment from the Felrix and Eli-Nesz saga. (Although I am worried about depicting such well loved characters.)

I'll get some wip sketches up soon. In the meantime, I wonder if @Bowser will be doing more story illustrations. His Luluni the Lifebringer was beyond compare.

Warden, Bowser and Y'ttar Scaletail like this.
  3. Y'ttar Scaletail
    Troglodon

Y'ttar Scaletail Well-Known Member

Here's what visual descriptions of Felrix exist, though feel free to deviate if you wish:

First Appearance: Thanks to the bodily crippling genius work of the lunatic great Malthkus, Felrix actually is proportioned quite well to most normal Skaven males. In her strange tastes for attire she wears a dusty yellow longcoat (hiding a multitude of scars.) Underneath this is hidden a thick iron plate. Around her hips resides her two guns in their holsters, with extra ammo and powder on her belt. Also attached to her belt is a large knife that has been used in numerous paw to paw combat. Upon her head she had donned a strange man-thing hat with three warp-tobac cigars attached. As her name suggests, her fur is a bright blonde muting into an orange hue.

Inquisirat Physical Description: Long Inquisitorial red coat with armoured breast plate (Light Armour), Bowie Knife (Hand weapon), 2 Warplock Pistols (One named Oakley and one named Starr), a hat resembling a stetson, 6 warp-tobac cigars, a silver warpfuel lighter with the letters "KB" engraved on it, and a small bag containing 12 Warptokens. Thanks to the bodily crippling work of the lunatic Malthkus, Felrix actually is proportioned quite well to most normal Skaven males. As her name suggests, her fur is a bright blonde muting into an orange hue.

Warden and Bowser like this.
  4. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Eli-Nesz = Skink in cowboy gear. Great thing about AOS, he appears how you remember him!

Drawing Llama is not as easy as first thought. That and Pokemon Go has really taken over the spare time.

Warden and Y'ttar Scaletail like this.
  5. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

My re-imagining will be a little bit non canon, I think.

Goat daemons? Challenge accepted!

Warden, Y'ttar Scaletail and Bowser like this.
  6. Y'ttar Scaletail
    Troglodon

Good. I'm looking forward to see how you evolve those characters and/or events.

Bowser likes this.
  7. thedarkfourth
    Kroxigor

thedarkfourth Well-Known Member

A warhammer version of pokemon go would be superb. why haven't we made this yet?

Also why isn't this thread pinned? I totally forgot there was a new art comp.

Bob I'm struggling to deal with your lack of regular avatar. Please encourage your local slann to project the image we remember of you from the Old World. Also I want to hear some cryptic author guesses stat.

Warden and Bowser like this.
  8. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

There are TWO local slann/s. You'd think one of them would get it right.

thedarkfourth, Warden and Bowser like this.
  9. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

“Uh, One-Eye?” squeaked a companion, pointing an uncertain claw, “there seem-appears to be some kind of goat-demon behind you. Maybe flee-retreat a little?”
    [​IMG]

Warden, Bowser and thedarkfourth like this.
  10. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

Hooray! WIP!

My entry will be an illustration of a scene from Among the Dust. Essential things to portray are the visual concept of "out of bullets" and also a coin for a coin-toss.

Having spent weeks just drawing hands with coins from various angles (badly) I decided to crack on with the poses - which is the most important bit. But most of that day was spent drawing cowboy hats from various angles (badly) Having pretty close to nothing useful done, I resorted to "if in doubt, draw humans." which would get modified later, or in this case, having got a feel for the human poses, I could do a redraw with the correct species.

Here are the collected pen and ink sketches.

[​IMG]
    You can see I have diverged somewhat from Felrix's official load out, but I wanted her to be very noticeably Western and female, and the other western stereotype for western female is the generic painted whore.

next stage will be cutting and pasting the best bits from all of them and mashing them together. I will need to look at reference photos of hats, hands and guns at some point.

Warden, Y'ttar Scaletail and Bowser like this.
  11. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

Hey @Bowser, which one to illustrate next? The Rat and the Serpent?

Bowser likes this.
  12. Essmir
    Chameleon Skink

Essmir Well-Known Member

You know Bob getting a human to pose for you is usualy great to get corect anatomy, or ask @Rikard he is better on anatomy than real life ;)

Bowser likes this.
  13. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I was thinking The Induction Ceremony myself

14. Y'ttar Scaletail
    Troglodon

She looks great! :D
    I have no probs with the divergance. The light armour (stove plate) was just a parody of The Man With No Name's final duel in A Fistful of Dollars, whilst the long coat might be a reference to Col. Mortimer (Lee Van Cleef) in For a Few Dollars More. I really can't help but make my characters (even the serious ones) somewhat parodies/references of something. If anything, it might be good for her to evolve away into something more unique and original.

Bowser likes this.
  15. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

goat-demon to One Eye:
    [​IMG]

16. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

20160809_191317.jpg
    Just doodled this while waiting for my girlfriend to go see a play in the park. Just quick designs for the induction ceremony. These characters crack me up!

Warden likes this.
  17. Hyperborean
    Ripperdactil

Hyperborean Well-Known Member

Today in, I didn't even realize this was going on because my life was nuts.

TIME TO CRACK THEM

spawning of Bob and Bowser like this.
  18. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

more WIP

[​IMG]
    Just getting angles right. I'll adjust proportions more at rough lining in stage.

19. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

some outlines and resizing/. Note the hammer of the gun.
    [​IMG]
    Son of Bob immediately asks "where is his tail." The true answer is, I'm hoping that it will be covered up by the other character. The easy answer is "it got shot off."

Poor kid doesn't sleep much.

Y'ttar Scaletail and Bowser like this.
  20. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran