1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Kemmler

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by Padre, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

I had a quick game tonight against a VC player. He is still working on his army, so he only had 1000 pts.

Heinrich Kemmler
    A large block of Skeletons with Spears
    9 Hexwraithes
    Corpse cart

I fielded a pretty basic list.
    Oldblood on Cold One
    -1+ rerollable
    -Great Weapon

Level 2 priest with scroll

25 Saurus with shields and FC
    5 Cold One Cavalry
    Bastiladon with Solar Engine
    Razordon

I fully expected to lose when he told me he was brining a named character, particularly a level 4 Loremaster. Fortunately, he decided that he was going to be nice and not cast his template spell the entire game.

In deployment, he placed his skeletons in the center with Kemmler and put the corpse cart next to them, then placed the hexwraithes on his right flank (my left). I placed my saurus opposite his skeletons, the razordon next to them on the left, then the bastiladon and finally the COC. The priest went with the saurus and the OB with the COC.

Turn one, he moved forward, staying out of charge range. In his magic phase, I let him summon more skeletons on my right flank.

My turn one, I moved my saurus, bastiliadon and COC forward. The Razordon moved behind the Saurus and shot at the newly raised skeletons. In magic, I got nothing off.

His turn two, he moved forward again. His hexwraiths ran forward and killed off four of the five COC by moving through them and then set up facing their left flank. He cast Raise Dead again, raising more behind me, but miscast, killing a few skeletons and putting a wound on Kemmler. (Not that it mattered as he was going to heal it quickly...) In my turn two, I charge the skeletons with my Saurus, the remaining CO and the Cowboy into the Corpse Cart, and the Razordon into the flank of the skeletons raised on my right. No magic as his +3 advantage on dispel got rid of Wyssans. He killed my priest with Kemmler, I killed his champion in a challenge and won combat with my saurus. The CO and Cowboy killed the Corpse Cart and the Razordon crumbled some skeletons.

Turn three, he held with his unengaged skeletons, the ones behind me. His HW moved through my bastiladon and left it with one wound. He cast Danse and I failed to dispel which allowed him to finish of the Bastiladon. He also grew back some skeletons. I won combat again with both units, but lost my sergeant in a challenge with his newly raised champion. His last skeleton on my right crumbled, freeing my razordon. On my turn, my cav reformed and the razordon charged the skeleton behind me. I won combat by something big and crumbled a lot of his unit. I think he only had eleven skeletons left, but I was down to about 14 saurus as well.

Turn four, he charged in with his hexwraithes into the flank of my Saurus. In magic, he IRed Hellish Vigor, giving him a buff, but dropping him to level 2 and ending the magic phase. In combat he killed four saurus with his hexwraithes, but I rolled hot and killed off the rest of his skeletons and crumbled Kemmler. The rest of the game with clean up and crumbles.

Overall, it was a fun game. I probably should have lost, but I got lucky. Although, I think he was over-reliant on his magic. My saurus warriors were wonderful against his skeletons. I will probably have a chance to play him again, but next time I will be better prepared for his named characters. I'm thinking light slann.