1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Kill one to warn a hundred" Star Wars Rebels Scene

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Karak Norn Clansman, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Karak Norn Clansman
    Troglodon

Karak Norn Clansman Well-Known Member

Rebels, aimed at younger audiences, is on the one hand what one would expect: Light-hearted simple fun in the Star Wars vein, with meaningful rebel deaths as rare as are clever and successful imperials. On the other hand the show do capture the original trilogy atmosphere, and is surprisingly good (for being what it is), in my book. If you've got kids or are just curious yourself, with a taste for blasters and TIE-fighters, then this may be worth checking out if you haven't already. Not a masterpiece, but neither is it utter trash on the whole.

However, there is one Rebels scene which is surprisingly well thought-out. "Kill one to warn one hundred," as the Chinese saying goes. Androm till varnagel. Counter-insurgency measure.

Recommended viewing at 3 minutes, even for those not interested in Star Wars or animated kid series:

2. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

I've seen the entire series and it's fantastic. The characters are great and as the series progresses, you get to know them better. Each series is better than the last, especially once Thrawn enters the picture - in my opinion the best villain in Star Wars. It's got lighthearted episodes for children, but plenty of dark moments too that are on par and sometimes exceed those of the Clone Wars. If you've enjoyed the Clone Wars, you'll definitely want to watch this.

Karak Norn Clansman likes this.
  3. Karak Norn Clansman
    Troglodon

Aye, it's great stuff, but some things like the solution in the finale wasn't too well advised from my view. My praise would have been stronger with a stronger ending to the series (it contained lots of great moments, so no stark complaints here). Also, the original incidents of handling underlings from the Thrawn trilogy:

"The Empire is at war, Captain. We cannot afford the luxury of men whose minds are so limited they cannot adapt to unexpected situations."
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  4. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

"The Original Trilogy atmosphere" and "Light-hearted simple fun in the Star Wars vein, meaningful rebel deaths as rare as clever and successful Imperials" are one and the same, if you don't mind me saying ;)

Joking aside, I have seen bits of Rebels and although the characters are too similar to the OT characters for my liking (Ezra = Luke, Kanan = Obi-Wan, Chopper = R2-D2, Zeb = Chewie, Hera = Han), there was a very good plot about them meeting Captain Rex and General Kalani from the Clone Wars series ("The Last Battle") where you got to see some battle droids interact with Stormtroopers, which was quite fun to see, and also to have generals from both factions realise that the real threat was Darth Sidious and the Empire and to see them teaming up to beat up the Empire was great - seeing Droidekas rolling up to fight AT-ATs was glorious.

5. Karak Norn Clansman
    Troglodon

Haha, indeed!

I found the obvious similarities between characters in the OT and Rebels to be decidedly less jarring than the obvious similarities between overall plot in the OT and the new trilogy. We got a rehash of the original trilogy plot... when the original trilogy is fine as it is. Rather perplexing choice to make such a retro movie.

Also, Chopper is a murderous rust bucket. Can't get enough of it.