1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kingdom Death : Monster

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by neveroddoreven, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I really like that screaming antelope. The model is beautiful, but your paint job once again brings it to life. The milky coloured eyes and the blending of the colours on snout and antlers is expert.
    An amazing job on the hand as well. That regal purple really stands out against the armour. No metallics needed there!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    Crowsfoot likes this.
  2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

What a master class in painting, nothing more I can say really.

Bowser likes this.
  3. neveroddoreven
    Temple Guard

neveroddoreven Well-Known Member

There's a few more but I'm having a lot of trouble uploading the pictures. I feel like I've tried everything now, it's weird.

Attached Files:

Jorgik, Crowsfoot, Bowser and 2 others like this.
  4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Probably image size, try and keep it around 1 MB a piece. :photogenic:
    you could resize/down-sample/crop them without loosing too much detail.

Ps. man the monsters in this game are seriously creepy.
    Nice job painting them though.

Warden likes this.
  5. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Wow those are all terribly creepy. The screaming antelope thing reminds me of gluttony from fullmetal alchemist, except scarier!

Gluttony_unleashed.jpg

Really wish I had gotten a warning about that phoenix thing too! Also very shocking, and amazingly painted! I definitely like the Watcher the best, amazing model!

Bowser likes this.
  6. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Again amazing painting, I looked at the game system and that is one weird game.

Bowser likes this.
  7. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I was also having trouble with the pics yesterday. However these look incredible! Perfectly painted nightmare fuel! Haha!

Warden likes this.
  8. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Those models are simply amazing, and of course the paint job too

9. Silverbolt
    Temple Guard

Silverbolt Active Member

Hi everyone. I'm the client :cool: Kingdom Death: Monster is a board game I Kickstarted like 3.5 years ago and it's finally been produced and shipped out.

The game is a campaign game. You have a group of humans who wake up in a dark, nightmare world. They are set upon by monsters and various trials. You have three phases of the game: the Settlement Phase where you build your settlement using resources you have gathered from the monsters, develop your group's culture, and outfit your survivors with equipment you craft. In The Hunt Phase, your party of 4 survivors track down the chosen monster. Good stuff, but more likely bad stuff happens along the way. Finally, you have The Showdown Phase, where you battle the monster. If you kill the monster, your still-living survivors can loot his corpse. Rinse and repeat the three phases.

If anyone is curious, I am starting up my first campaign in a week or so. I could do a campaign log on here if there is interest...

I knew these models were beyond my ability and needed an amazing paint job. I sent Neveroddoreven every pic from the art/instruction booklet as reference, but told him to go nuts and just have fun. As he mentioned, I only gave a couple comments (hair highlights, lion tongue) cause I was blown away by what he was showing me. He sent me regular updates once a week with photos. I would get extra emails regarding ideas or questions for the next model before he finished the current one. Pricing was very reasonable. Shipping was fantastic. If there's a model you want done up special, he's your man!

Warden, Jorgik, Bowser and 1 other person like this.
  10. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Yea a battle report would be awesome. :D

Bowser likes this.
  11. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Absolutely would love to read how the campaign goes!

12. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Please please please, I would love to read your experiences with the game! I only learned about this game when it came out and I'm very intrigued, but it's so expensive now.

Bowser likes this.
  13. Silverbolt
    Temple Guard

Silverbolt Active Member

Yeah, there were various stages of the Kickstarter and the pricing.

One of the things that appealed to me was that the game is 1-4 player. I will probably start a solo campaign, as well. I might be getting ahead of myself, but if I did a battle rep for both campaigns the solo one could be much more detailed.

But back to these amazing models:

The freehand is just insane for the fur. The White Lion was one of the first sculpts made for the game, and is universally considered the lamest. But, man, that fur elevates the model way beyond the sculpt (as all truly brilliant paint jobs should)

Warden, Crowsfoot and Bowser like this.
  14. Crowsfoot
    Slann

He is talented and how he has not won a Golden Demon award is beyond me, a battle report would be most welcome along with pics of the models in action.

Bowser likes this.
  15. neveroddoreven
    Temple Guard

Oh boy, I'm blushing again.
    On the subject of competitions, I've signed up for Wyrd's Iron Painter. I'm #73 of 206 participants, and it sounds fiercer than Golden Demon, better prizes too. Gonna be fun/terrifying.
    In the meantime, I'm opening up for more commissions. They have to be small projects though because I've got a lot going on.

Warden, Bowser, Zenard and 1 other person like this.
  16. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Keep us posted on how you do in the comp and hope the commissions come knocking.

Bowser and Zenard like this.
  17. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

Man these are fantastic! The lighting and shadows on the humans is absolutely phenomenal. You've taken some very basic (but stunningly designed) models and made them into these incredible living characters. Looking at this after reading the report for the campaign really FEELS like these characters and monsters are real. The Lion is somehow creepy, but for the life of me I couldn't say why. The Antelope is pants-shittingly terrifying and I don't even have words for the Phoenix.

The Watcher and the Butcher are amazingly detailed and I find it hard to believe anyone else would do the models more justice than you. Well done - you win the hobby.

Bowser likes this.
  18. Crowsfoot
    Slann

How would you compare the Vallejo to Citadel paints?

19. neveroddoreven
    Temple Guard

In a word - consistent.
    I found that certain Citadel paints were chunky and transparent no matter how well mixed and shaken-up they were. The Vallejo ones seem to have a uniform pigmentation and consistency, making them all work the same. The downside is that they need breaking in, I'm finding them glossy when I use them for the first few times. The washes aren't as good as Citadel either, but I make all my own anyway so that doesn't bother me so much.
    The main reason I made the switch from Citadel was that I got annoyed at the recent discontinuation of some of their line. I wanted a range with some stability. Its been great to experiment with a new set of colours and not rely on formulas that I've become too comfortable with. It was intimidating at first but I adapted quickly.

Warden, Crowsfoot and Bowser like this.
  20. Crowsfoot
    Slann

I like the citadel range and I'm worried about using a different product but I might get a couple and have a try.