1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Kroak on Krack

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by darren watson, Aug 22, 2017.

1. darren watson
    Kroxigor

darren watson Well-Known Member

With all the new shizz being revealed, I think it's fair to say Seraphon will soon be pushing for podium finishes in tournaments. Here's a few lists I will be playing around with centered around my beloved Kroak.

Original list:

Allegiance: Order

Heroes
    Lord Kroak (540)450 < new points.
    - General
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer (160)160
    - Phoenix Stone
    Skink Starseer (160)200
    - Phoenix Stone
    Skink Starpriest (100)80

Battleline
    10 x Skinks (80)60
    - Boltspitters & Star Bucklers
    10 x Skinks (80)60
    10 x Skinks (80)60

Units
    6 x Ripperdactyl Riders (280)280

Behemoths
    Bastiladon (300)280

Battalions
    Shadowstrike Starhost (120)170

Scenery
    Balewind Vortex (100)

Total: 2000/2000

This bad boy get 100 points cheaper, I can simply save 100 points for summoning or increase a unit of Skinks to 20 leaving 40 points to summon a Razordon. Marvellous.
    This armies pre GHB2's main weakness was losing Kroak meant you lost the game. With the new ability to teleport a unit on 2+ (guaranteed with Curse of Fate cast on him) Kroak can now happily deploy behind scenery or literally right in a corner. Later teleport outside of 18" of any unbinder (27" of any Tzeentch general depending on their trait) and then go nuclear. This truly wondrous.
    Any double to cast will also add 6" to his range, he is very likely to hit everything on the board with d3 mortal wounds, especially if people turtle to avoid the Rippers. Difficult to shift of any objective as well.
    If you don't need to protect him first turn you can teleport the Basti in range, hopefully within 10" of your Astrolith for rerolls to hit. Another boon for this list.

Mortal Wound Bombing for Fun List

With the advent of Allies we only get access to Storm Cast Eternals. I both love and hate this. Love this because it will actual help keep competitive games balanced, Seraphon have become strong. I hate this for the obvious reason we could be even stronger! Going to try this list ASAP will update items later as currently unknown to me.

Allegiance: Seraphon

Heroes
    Lord Kroak 450- General
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer 160
    Skink Starseer 200
    Skink Starpriest 80

AllIes:

Cellestent Prime 340

Battleline

10 x Skinks 60
    10 x Skinks 60
    10 x Skinks 60

Units
    6 x Ripperdactyl Riders 280

Battalions
    Shadowstrike Starhost 170

Scenery
    Balewind Vortex 100

Summoning
    40 points for a Razordon

Total: 2000/2000

This list brings a reduction in drops thanks to Mr Prime being off the board. Another mortal wound bombing from the Prime should spell the end for any low/middle ranged characters, with the ability to do a guaranteed 3 mortal wounds from the Prime on a single target once a turn. This will also likely kill any small screening units, allowing more favourable charges for the Rippers.
    If you manage to save his choose a dice ability for the charge, reducing units bravery by 2 will cause plenty of troops to run away, seeing how most units will be needing a bravery roll.

A variation on the above would be to replace the Starseer and summoning pool for an Engine of the Gods. Teleport this bad boy in to 25" of a priority target and likely get another d6 mortal wounds on them. Combine this with Kroak/Prime and we are dropping Treeman Ancients possibly even Greater Demons of Tzeentch in a turn, with very little your opponent can do to mitigate this damage with clever deployment. You can even Vortex push him into range if he's deployed in front of Kroak (assuming you are going first or don't need to worry about Kroak being dropped first turn) saving the teleport move for the non Shadowstrike Skinks to get them in range also. Sexy.

If my understanding of what I have read so far is incorrect I apologise, my mind is ablaze with all the possibilities! Any thoughts on how to improve on the above is most welcome.

Let's get gaming and get these chaps where they belong, to the top!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Wow these are really brutal lists. They will hate you/us for that.
    But it could work.

Let the Age of Skinkmar begin! :D

Ritual, Saminator and darren watson like this.
  3. darren watson
    Kroxigor

I have had to play through the Kunnin Rukk/Skyfire spam/Tzeentch Deamon metas with GHB1 Seraphon. I will not feel guilty about our new found strengths :)

4. Aginor
    Slann

You have the bragging rights anyway. You played Seraphon _before_ they were strong and still made the top ten in tournaments. Twice!

That's also going to be a t-shirt for me to wear. "I played Seraphon before they were cool".

Ritual and Captaniser like this.
  5. darren watson
    Kroxigor

Put me down for a T-shirt as well!

Ritual, Captaniser and Aginor like this.
  6. Kadanga
    Saurus

Kadanga Active Member

Looks to me like some solid lists. My only thought is how it will fare against wound-heavy lists? There isnt that much dakka, even tho it is quality dakka :)

As an alternative:
    If you go for the skink-spell-trait you can save yourself 200pts for the starseer. (Provided it is the spell you are after).
    You could then go max-size on one of your skink regiments or increase your pool.

7/10 cases I would go for the double teleport tho, it is seems sooooo good.

Ritual likes this.
  7. darren watson
    Kroxigor

Kroak is a named character, so I don't believe he will benefit from these rules?

How we get on will depend if the meta shifts to large units and how the new scenarios work. Scenarios that are about the late game I don't imagine it being to much of an issue. Games that require quick objectives being taken and held will be more of a struggle. But then again they always were.

My army doesn't have the dakka, but let's not forget the Rippers and their average 45 wounds on a unit when they drop. That's one large unit scrapped off the board.. A double turn and it will be 2 :)

Ritual likes this.
  8. Kadanga
    Saurus

Kadanga Active Member

Edit: I was way off on this. Sorry mate!

Ritual likes this.
  9. darren watson
    Kroxigor

No additional bonuses for named characters currently.

Ritual likes this.
  10. darren watson
    Kroxigor

No bother mate

Ritual likes this.
  11. Kadanga
    Saurus

Kadanga Active Member

Yeah, my memtel (memory intel) was corrupt.

How do you get 45 wounds out of the rippers with the rules for matched play saying that generated attacks cannot generate additional attacks? Or did this get revized somewhere? Or have I been misslead all this time? :O

Ritual likes this.
  12. darren watson
    Kroxigor

6 Rippers on average generate 45 odd wounds even with this ruling (assuming you attack a unit next to their toad). Each ripper gets 7 attacks. 3 hit on 3's (total of 18) with rerolls wounding on 2's with rerolls. 3 get hit on 4's (total of 18) with rerolls and then generate extra attacks for each hit. These also all wound on 2's with rerolls. Then the riders get 1 attack (total of 7 as there's a champion) that hit on 4's with rerolls and wound on 3's with rerolls. they get the extra plus 1 to wound from the Shadowstrike formation first time they charge and reroll hits and wounds from their Warscroll on the charge.

these guys scrape units of the table. They were my anti kunnin rukk arrer boy answer. Most large units with points saving bonuses have low saves. Happy hunting for these chaps

Ritual, Aginor and Kadanga like this.
  13. Kadanga
    Saurus

Kadanga Active Member

Thanks for going the long way explaining it. I havn't fielded my rippers yet, but now I am eager to!

Ritual likes this.
  14. darren watson
    Kroxigor

You won't regret it, use the Shadowstrike formation if possible. Not only does it rule, it'll make your opponent second guess where your Ripperdactyls are coming down. Letting you take the initiative during deployment

Ritual, Aginor and Kadanga like this.
  15. Tozon
    Saurus

Tozon Active Member

What are your thoughts on squeezing a second unit of Rippers in?

The second toad and ability to deal with the soon-to-be-prevalent hordes makes it a pretty attractive proposition to me.

Ritual and darren watson like this.
  16. darren watson
    Kroxigor

Oh yes for sure. Looking at a double Shadowstrike list with 160 skinks in it

X2 of this

40 skinks 200
    40 skinks 200
    6 Ripperdactyls 280
    Starpriest 80
    Shadowstrike 170

Skink Chief-General 60
    Skink priest 80

Skinks ftw!

Captaniser and Ritual like this.
  17. Aginor
    Slann

Ha. Ahaha.
    BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Ok, that's a lot of Skinks to build and paint, but I imagine it would create great looks on opponents' faces.

Captaniser, Ritual and darren watson like this.
  18. Tozon
    Saurus

Tozon Active Member

Thats insane.

In that list though I'd definitely be considering dropping one of the 40's to a 10 and adding some chameleon skinks (or an allied Knight-Venator) for some sniping potential - try and get rid of the pesky mages/ command abilities that ruin our plans.

I was thinking based on the Kroak list how about something like:

Kroak 450
    Skink Starseer 200
    Astrolith Bearer 160

Skinks 60
    Skinks 60
    Skinks 60

6 Ripperdactyls 280
    3 Ripperdactyls 140

Bastiladon 280

Shadowstrike Starhost 170
    100pts for Balewind 100
    40pts for a beast 40

You lose the starpriest but gain that extra offensive unit.

Ritual likes this.
  19. darren watson
    Kroxigor

Need the priest to lead the Shadowstrike. Plus the second unit won't benefit from being off the board. They are a glass hammer after all.

That being said the benefit of laying 2 toads is worth considering

Play some games and let me know how you get on mate ☺

Aginor, Tozon and Ritual like this.
  20. Tozon
    Saurus

Tozon Active Member

Whoops. Slight oversight there.

I'm looking forward to seeing how your 160 skinks go

Aginor and darren watson like this.