1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Lava Lizardmen: Updated 13/10/2015

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Haemoglobin, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

Haemoglobin 9th Age Army Support

Hello

I have been looking for a new painting scheme for my army for a while now. I have come up with lava lizards. For now I only have a unit of terradons and a small unit of saurus painted (not entirely done even). I am a fairly slow painter but yeah , I'll Just show what I got for now!

Saurus:

7kgh.jpg
    dvt.JPG

The unit as it is (banner needs paint, models need finishing etc etc, definately not finished):

jvao.jpg

The terradon unit:

sytc.jpg
    941g.jpg

I've got a unit of 6 chameleon skinks that still need paint.

I was thinking of taking this army to Armies on Parade, but that is going to be a lot of work to finish it.

In any case any comments and remarks are appreciated

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Re: Lava Lizardmen

Woah :jawdrop:

(Simply Gorgeous) :depressed:

3. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

I like the effects you've got there! Have you/are you doing to use PVA or a water effects type of substance to add some liquid effect on the lava?

4. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Beautiful models. Those terradon wings are wicked! The jade contrasts really well with the lava and red/yellow parts, but maybe gets lost a bit with the muted-green skin colour.

5. bonz
    Cold One

bonz Active Member

very nice!! :smug: i like the ash colour skin tone and the wings on the terradons look fantastic! one thing i would consider is highlighting the yellow up to white or near white on the very edges, just to take the white-hot lava look even further :smug: looking forward to seeing more!

6. APhilmon
    Cold One

APhilmon New Member

First things first, kudos to a beautifully executed paint scheme. I don't recall seeing it done like this before. Very nice. Only thing I have to point out is that the scales on the shields look very flat, no depth. Perhaps a little highlighting or creation of depth?

All in all a very nice standard. I love the way the jade stands out. very noticeable!

7. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

Yeah I know the shield looks flat, got me some extra paint to solve that problem. Only had that particular brown atm.

I'll try to do some work today but dont expect a huge amount of updates :p I am a pretty slow painter.

Thanks for all of the nice comments!

8. Kroxigor83
    Jungle Swarm

Kroxigor83 New Member

Very Nice Models!

9. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

Lava Lizardmen: Updated 02/07

Minor update:

I painted up a couple of shields to finish the first rank of the saurus. There is still work on the champion and the banner but its mostly done:

vsii.jpg

I also have a close up on the shield effect I chose. I realise it looks a little flat but I'm not sure how i would highlight the brown on the shields. Imo it looks pretty good:

z6e1.jpg

Would you guys change anything about the shields?

And what would you guy do about the banner? I've got no idea how to paint that one to be honest.

In any case comments are appreciated

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Xlanax_lot likes this.
  10. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

Re: Lava Lizardmen: Updated 02/07

Looking good! I love the green instead of gold.

When I paint shields, I generally do it in the order of:
    basecoat
    appropriate wash
    basecoat highlight
    highlight colour highlight
    flicks of bright colour

But I don't think that can work for you, as you have the colours in the crevaces. That means you'll have to do it Old-School (without inks/washes) haha.
    If you take a look at the photo you took, you can see the light reflecting off each scale, so I'd find a colour similar to that of the reflection and just add it as you see in the photo. I might also (after each dob of paint) use my finger to rub the hard lines away from the highlight.
    The other thing you could do is to find a colour that irepresents the lava glowing over the shield, and decrease the intensity as you go up the shield. The only downside to that is that you'd have to apply that too everything else (skinn weapons etc.) to make it look realistic.

....Coz giant walking lizards are real...

As for the Totem, what issues are you having?

11. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Perhaps some slight blue/dark grey shades for highlights ?
    ertale-lava-peter_1403_600x450.jpg

Attached Files:

Xlanax_lot likes this.
  12. Marekai
    Skink

Marekai New Member

very cool scheme! I was actually thinking of doing something like this also but what I had in mind was not as detailed as yours.

One thing i was thinking of doing with mine was to try a texture paint on the shields to make it seem like the shields were made of rocks from a volcano. I haven't tried it yet so i don't know how it will look but I figured it was worth mentioning.

13. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

Thanks for the tips!

I was also wondering if I would do some small osl on the shields, but then I would have to apply it to the rest of the model and I cannot be bothered to put that much effort into them. They are taking alot of time already.

The blue gray seems like a good idea, I'll definately try it. Problem is the dark spots are a dark brown (Rhinox Hide, comparable to the old Scorched Earth), perhaps the blue will clash with it. I'll try it out tomorrow.

And about the totem: I don't really have an idea on how to paint it. I don't want to make it one big green thing. Same goes for red or grey (the models have plenty of that color). I was thinking some kind of turqoise green, but that might look too close to the green I'm using now.

Texture paint might be a nice idea aswell, perhaps I'll try it later on considering I don't own any of those pots atm.

In any case, next update in a couple of days probably. Thanks for the C&C!

14. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

Well you have a couple of choices here, and it depends on what you're going to do with the rest of the army.
    You could do a fluff-type of thing and paint it similar to that of the volcanic rock they are standing on (as if carved from the site around them), or you could do it a cool blue to contrast with the firey colours (or perhaps red or yellow to MATCH your scale colours).
    You may also like to paint it a metallic colour as though metals are precious and so only used for totems.

Another option could be to paint it similar to your shields?

Looking forward to seeing what you decide to go with!!!

15. Pofadder
    Cold One

Pofadder New Member

Just want to say those minis look awesome, love it!!

16. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

So after a long while I finally got some time to update this post. I have since then finished the saurus warriors for about 90%. Still gotta add bone, redo some detail and finish up the bases. I have also started on the unitfiller for that unit:

aulr.jpg

Here are a couple of pics of the unitfiller in the saurus unit:

spx5.jpg
    be0d.jpg
    7ydc.jpg

I still gotta make 5-10 extra saurus for that block, but I think I will wait for the new book first.

Also here are some 90% finished Terradons. I've got another 3 of them that need paint, so I'll have 6 of these boys when I'm done with them.

u151.jpg
    4qq3.jpg

And a pic to show the detail a bit more:

ds6n.jpg

I also have a unit of 10 skink skirmishers and 6 chameleon skinks to paint, but those aren't even primed yet so that will probably be for the next update.

Depending on what the new book gives us I will be using the K'daai fireborn from Forgeworld to represent Kroxigor. I sure hope that Krox will still be worth taking considering I really want those models in my army :p

And as a finisher, I am planning to convert a slann using the high elf phoenix kit, the lothern skycutter and a 6th edition slann. I plan on making it seem that the slann is summoning/conjuring a phoenix. Still gotta work out the details on that though.

Thanks for checking it out!

17. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Re: Lava Lizardmen: Updated 21/07

Where is the jaw drop smiley when you need it?

18. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

I love the whole effect, but the unit filler is quite special!

19. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

Thanks for all the comments!

I have been working on my models for a while, yet I did not get alot of painting done. I just did some base work on my terradon and skirmisher unit, not enough to show on here.

I have however been working on my Slann.

Behold, WIP Slann summoning a phoenix:

Front of the Palanquin:
    pu89.jpg

A bit of a closeup:
    hvzp.jpg

Phoenix + Slann
    m379.jpg

Slann + Palanquin
    jwdv.jpg

Keep in mind theres is still a hell of a lot of work to be done. I still have to model the "spell" itsself, Atm I've got a metal rod that has a coiled wire around it. I'm tempted to just leave it like that and only add fire effects around the hand and base of the Phoenix. I have used 4 rare-earth magnets in the base and I hope it wil be enough to keep the palanquin on the metal movement tray.
    If needed I can fix up some extra pics and give details on how I made the phoenix etc etc.

Not to mention my new book and models will be arriving tomorrow. So much work, so much work...

In any case, thanks for watching!

20. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Re: Lava Lizardmen: Updated 05/08

Sweet! Can't wait to see it completed!