1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Lazoxoatls Army

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Lazoxoatl, May 20, 2009.

1. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Wow, great details on that Slann base/palanquin. Are you adding more detail to the support stand? I like my Slann floating, but that's just personal preference I guess. Loving the snakes, though.

2. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

Wow, can't wait to see this done. But you do know that snakes eat frogs, right?

3. Lazoxoatl
    Saurus

Lazoxoatl New Member

I would like to have my Slann floating too, but the stand coming with the model sucks as well as the hole for it. Plus I am planning to magnetize it, so I can take palanquin from the stand for easy transport.
    For the stand decoration I tried to make some vines around it but it looked awful, so I'll probably go with plain stand. Base will get some grass in the spooks though.

I think these snakes know better than eating THIS frog ;)

4. Lazoxoatl
    Saurus

Lazoxoatl New Member

So, my Slann is in the challenge, although its not 100% finished. So don't forget to vote here: September/October Painting Challenge Voting Thread (for me or for anyone else (I really like that Dark Elf Sorceress ;) ) ). I'll post pics here after the challenge is finished.

5. Lazoxoatl
    Saurus

Lazoxoatl New Member

So, last painting challenge finished. I ended up second (thanks to everyone who voted for me), 5 votes after Morikun's Dark elf sorceress (congrats to his mastery - it was really great job). And as promised there are pictures of my Slann. Hopefully he will finally cast his spell with success.

I still have to work on him a little (finish snakes, change the grass in crack in "floor" ('cause I had some with little red and yellow "flowers" and it got lost in these cracks as you can see) and some other things...

Slann11-10-121.jpg
    Slann11-10-122.jpg
    Slann11-10-123.jpg
    Slann11-10-124.jpg
    Slann11-10-125.jpg
    Slann11-10-126.jpg

Right now I am working on lizardmen-themed dice tower, so I'll try to post some pictures later (or I hope I will ;)).

C&C welcome.

Attached Files:

Imrahil likes this.
  6. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

While I voted for both the Dark elf and your slann, your Slann was my favourite. Absolutely freaking love him. Where'd the inspiration for his glowing veins come from?

7. Lazoxoatl
    Saurus

Lazoxoatl New Member

Thanks for kind words, Mossy. The basic inspiration came from that frog I posted earlier. But during the painting, when I started to work on the blue "spots" I decided to experiment a little and this was the result :)

8. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

very cool and unique stuff. you were my second vote in the competition :)

9. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

I miss this blog sooooooooooo much. Come back, Lazoxoatl!

10. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

Same here. I totally stole his skink musician idea.

Never got to see the finished EotG or the skink unit he was converting. A real shame.

11. Lazoxoatl
    Saurus

Lazoxoatl New Member

Sorry guys, I wasn't able to make much progress on my Lizardmen. I got caught by Infinity and attempted some terrain making... But I still have my coldblooded creatures close and I will try to get to them and finish different conversions I started... And paint them ;)

12. Lazoxoatl
    Saurus

Lazoxoatl New Member

All right, after really long time I got myself to work on some lizardmen conversions (or painting for that matter).

I was able to obtain two Blood Demon Miniatures from Mage Knight range for something like a dollar or so. Originaly they looked like this:
    BloodDemonS.jpg

I found them perfect for converting into salamanders. After some cutting, drilling, greenstuffing and milliputing a got this:
    ConvertedSalamander01-01.jpg
    ConvertedSalamander01-02.jpg
    ConvertedSalamander02-01.jpg
    ConvertedSalamander02-02.jpg
    ConvertedSalamander02-03.jpg

They are still pretty much WIP, but hopefuly they will be finished soon (at least sculpt-wise, painting is a whole different thing :D ).

And there is another project I have going on. I guess we all have sort of a surplus of saurus heads and arms... I really had no idea what to do with them so I decided to give it a try and scult myself some bodies for these. This is far for being comleted but still...
    SaurusSculpt01.jpg

13. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Salamanders look like they have potential! Get some paint on him :D

Personally, I would buy the bodies from bits suppliers, because sculpting that many bodies... wow.

14. Lazoxoatl
    Saurus

Lazoxoatl New Member

Well, thats a plan ;) But first I need to finish scuplting some additional scales. But I will try to finish it just after Christmas.

I just did a head count (see what I did there? :D ) and I have 9 regular saurus and 7 temple guard saurus heads. On BitzBox, one body is for £1.00... with a little math its not much cheaper than buying whole saurus box - there is just £4.00 difference (compared to standard GW prices; not adding shipping costs). And there is quite a lot of additional bits. So it really sounds like it would be cheaper to make it from scratch (I know there is the time to add, but it a hobby, so...).

15. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Really? That's more expensive than I thought. Go for it, then! I actually like sculpting tails :D It's easy to just roll a sausage :p

16. Soteks Prophet
    Skink

Soteks Prophet New Member

I've just read this whole thread. When you die can I harvest your DNA to extract your talent?