1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Legion of the green ones - O&G + Lizzies = a mess of low Ld? Need advice

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Pinktaco, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

So my friend and I are going for a semi-casual 2v2 tournament next sunday, in our local doll store.
    Tbh I havent played or painted miniatures for 2-3 months so I'm a bit rusty and are having a hard time getting the overall perspective of our combined army.

Anyway let me just present you the rules of the tournament:

1250pts pr army so a total of 2500pts for each side.
    You have 1 general and 1 BSB and are considered trustful allies so we can mix and match the various armies.
    All the new mixed armies are available.
    Special characters are available.
    We don't play with ET:Khaine magic rules so normal 8th edition magic.
    We play with 25% lords and 25% heroes like regular warhammer 8th edition.
    The various new ET units such as Morghast and what not are available.
    We're allowed to pick the Undeath lore and whatever the chaos faction recieved back in the Glottkin book.

So this creates a set of interesting options while also creating some less interesting ones. For instance the combined legions of elves are .. utter bullshit to be honest. At least the chaos one comes with an increase in point if you want to give the various Beastmen units a mark. So obviously it might create a bit of an "unbalanced" scenario, but we'll see how it goes.

At 1250pts I don't find the Slann an attractive option. He'll be "naked" which mean that I'd be paying a premium price for a regular lvl 4 mage. On the contrary the O&G magic is... well not exactly super exciting either.

HOWEVER 1250pts creates a new very potent (IMO) opportunity. Consider this: The worst demon prince builds, vamp lord builds and warriors of chaos lord builds will be out of the question. Sure the demon prince can be quite nasty, but we won't be able to fly nor eat your face with death magic. The vamp lord is... a complete no-go and the same can almost be said about the WoC lord.

But here's the thing - since the worst of the bunch are more or less out of the question this mean that we're next in line. At 266pts we can have the following Oldblood: Dawnstone, Armour of Destiny, Great weapon, CO and Other Trickster Shard. He was a beast in normal games and at this point he'd be absolutely devastating against most units. He'll come off as nearly unbeatable while also maintaining a good damage output and mobility.

So here's the army list I had in mind:

General for our army: OB with said equipment.
    Beast priest lvl 2 with cube.
    Light Weight Cowboy for anti-etheral duty, includes a luckstone and CO.

3 skink skirmisher (javelin) units
    1 unit of 19 skink cohort with musician

2 units of 5 cameleon skinks for warmachine hunting
    1 unit of 6 CORs to bunker the general.

1 salamander with snack.

It comes in at 1246pts.

My friend and I will be meeting up tomorrow night and talk about units, but he'll likely use:

Lvl 4 goblin mage with scroll.
    BSB

Unit of Orc Boys Big Uns
    Gobling Wolf Riders
    Night Goblins with fanatics

Trolls for special

1-2 Doom divers for rare.
    Mangler squig

My role in the army
    As you can see I'll likely serve more as support. Skinks to redirect, salamanders to burn hordes/big units, cameleons for warmachines, extra magic/scroll and the cowboys for multi-purpose roles.
    My friend will have the backbone of the army being able to field larger units and can deal with high armoured units with his doomdivers.

The only thing currently worrying me are big units of white lions since they'll tear up everything or Throgg in a unit of Trolls. He's one of the few characters that'll be hard to deal with for my OB.

Another issue is the potential of low leadership considering a core of skinks, goblins and trolls <.<

Thoughts?