1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's talk Marvel movies

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Scalenex, May 15, 2015.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Because I"m sick of Star Wars talk.

Note do not read past this sentence if you have not seen Avengers 2 and plan to see it.

Captain America seemed like he was dying but didn't.
    Loki seemed like he was dying but didn't...twice.
    Nick Fury seemed like he was dying and didn't.
    Tony Stark seemed like he was dying and didn't...twice.
    Groot died and came back.
    I can probably come up with more, but you get the idea.

The point is someone actually died in Avengers 2 and I didn't care. I kept thinking the dead person was coming back. By the time I realized they finally killed someone for reals, I no longer had any emotional investment in it.

That kind of bugged me, perhaps Marvel movies have peaked because they became too formulaic.

Maybe DC will take up the torch but just because Marvel is slipping doesn't mean DC will succeed. They have yet to make a decent movie in the last twenty years that didn't involve Batman, and they managed to make one really bad movie that did involve Batman. Green Lantern, Catwoman, and Jonah Hex were not just bad, but they were abominations. Other bad movies can be (theoretically fixed with a reboot) but I don't believe those characters will ever get a second chance. Catwoman also unfairly created trepidation against the creation of further super heroine movies, but Elektra did not help either.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
    William Jackson likes this.
  2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

lol so yea, just like the comics then. :p

3. Scalenex
    Slann

No reason for it. Since super hero movies have traditionally had characters die and then the series reboots. Comics can't get away with such a high percentage of reboots (I am aware that they do have reboots and parallel universes).

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

:(:(:(

On topic...

I think that part of the reason of the lack of deaths is due to their target audience. Many of these movies have a huge following of younger viewers, so they don't want to kill off their heroes (that would hurt toy sales too!). I'm not saying this is the only reason (or even the main reason), but I'm sure it plays a part. This is Disney after all. Furthermore, why change the recipe when they are making a fortune off of these things. Maybe Thanos can shake things up in the next two movies.

5. Scalenex
    Slann

Fingers crossed. But Thanos basically just sat in a chair all of Guardians of the Galaxy.

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That's true... but he was quite potent in the comics from what I have heard.

7. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

NIGHTBRINGER just sits in a chair all the time.

He still brings misery and chaos.

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

But I have a top hat! That's the source of the chaos. :happy:

9. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

The Sauric Ace Well-Known Member

I guess it's an issue that always arrive for more light hearted shows. But according to Josh Wheaton Coleson were actually meant to stay dead, to add some value. Where as none of the other really were meant for such things.
    Killing off a character always seem to me like it shouldn't just be an easy way to create tension. I'll be honest I never go watch a marvel movie believing the hero gets killed, that's just not their thing.

I defiantly think you have a point, it just doesn't really bother me that much ;)

10. Silverbolt
    Temple Guard

Silverbolt Active Member

Being a big Marvel comic and Marvel movie buff, I'll toss my thoughts out there. Warning, POSSIBLE spoilers for future movies depending on how closely they stay to the comics I discuss (Age of Ultron had NOTHING to do with the recent Age of Ultron comic event it should be noted)

As for deaths: most of the actors commit to several films (like 9 is the standard number). Notable exceptions are Quicksilver and Cap's Chris Evans. Evans only signed for 6. So we really shouldn't be expecting any permanent deaths until contracts start running out.

Also related to deaths: Thanos' "Infinity Guantlet" storyline in the comics has everything to do with death. He is actually in love with the character Death and wants to court her by killing over half the galaxy. So it is quite possible we might see some deaths in Phase 3 (Evans being likely) for them to be temporarily brought back to life to save the day before returning to the afterlife by the end of Avengers: Infinity War Part 2.

Cap dying: likely for several reasons. First of all, his contract as previously mentioned. Second, both Winter Soldier and Falcon have inherited his mantle in the comics and they both are being built up in the movies. Third, the next Captain America movie is titled Civil War and at the end of that series....Google if you don't know.

Iron Man dying: RDJ is in his fifties and coming up on his contract as well. I believe they have already renegotiated at least one extension so far. We've got War Machine being built up in the movies as a possible successor. Also, it is widely believed Spider-Man will take over the RDJ role of being the primary connective character now that Sony and Marvel have worked out a deal so Marvel/Disney can use Spidey. RDJ has been banking exponentially more than any of the other actors so moving a new character in the "big star" role means more profits staying at the studio.

Thor dying: probably going to happen, but not as a permanent thing. His next movie is Thor: Ragnarok. Basic Norse mythology tells us this is the Norse End Times. They all die. The comics have done Ragnarok several times over the decades. Each time the Norse gods get reborn, but often with some twist and new status quo. Very possible for him to die and be reborn with Hemsworth or a completely different actor, though the safe bet is still with Hemsworth due to his contract and his young age.

Thanos in Guardians: Yeah, he just sat there. It wasn't his movie. Ronin was the villain. Thanos was there to tie Guardians into the greater MCU movies. Also, the general public knows nothing about him (the general public knows more about DC villains due to the longer history of DC films and animated series) so it was a way of building him up. Now, at the end of A:AoU we have him basically saying "I'm done sitting and playing puppet master."

Quicksilver dying: Whedon's original cut of the film was just over three hours. He has stated most of the 40 minutes cut belonged to Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver and Black Widow characterization. If that was in there, one would assume you would have been more invested in Pietro. Apparently all of the DVDs and BRs will include the extended version :)

Coulson dying: this is kinda weird. Whedon has stated in the films he still is dead. It was meant to be real and permanent. Then they asked him to make the TV show...and things have gotten complicated. That's why Coulson has told Lady Sif not to say anything to Thor when she has appeared on the show. Also why Fury and Maria Hill have since been in movies and the show but Coulson has only been in the show.

11. Scalenex
    Slann

Yes and no.

It was pointed out by the head of Marvel studios, Kevin Feige, the contracts do NOT say actor X can only play part Y. He openly mentioned the idea that Robert Downey Junior could play Xanatos or Broadway in a Marvel Gargoyles movie. I am torn. I think Robert Downey Jr. has the acting chops to pull off either of those roles but I would prefer a younger actor for those two roles.

Marvel could move almost any of their contract stars from the Avenger's universe to Gargoyles (or some other movie). I think Chris Evans would make a good Owen, but I don't think Evans would consent to playing a supporting actor like that. The hardest parts to cast for a Garogyles movie would be finding a strong versatile actress that looks multi-ethnic enough to play Elisa Maza. Also Demona would be hard to cast. Demona is 90% about voice acting, (I vote Lucy Liu or Kelly Hu since they have lots of voice acting experience), but I fear Marvel might needlessly throw in a hot chick not known for her ability to speak.

Except for Ed Asner, I think most of the original voice cast of Gargoyles is getting a bit too old to reprise their original roles.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

OMG... I REALLY HOPE THAT THIS TURNS OUT TO BE TRUE!!! If so, they absolutely MUST get Keith David to reprise his voicing role of Goliath... no one else will do.

13. Scalenex
    Slann

I wouldn't mind Keith David coming back, but I don't want to say no one else will do. He's getting older and it's changing his voice. More to the point, I try not to jump on the "How dare you change greatness!" that you get whenever anyone other than Mark Hamil voice acts the Joker or people demanding someone other than Ben Affleck play Batman.

Sometimes new people do well. Sometimes they don't.

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

But in this case his voice was absolutely perfect for the role. It is a rare event when a character is voiced so brilliantly (Mako voicing Aku in Samurai Jack, James Earl Jones as Vader are other viable examples). If someone else took on the role, they would certainly have a lot to live up to and more importantly if they failed, the movie would probably fail with them.

15. Scalenex
    Slann

I have a counter example. Christian Bale's Batman voice sucked (admittedly he did well in Bruce Wayne scenes), but his Batman trilogy was still quite good.

16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That is true, Christopher Nolan's direction was amazing though. But Batman has had many voices throughout the years, so it is less defined. There is only one Goliath (the gargoyle), his voice is integrally tied to the character. It's not impossible for it to succeed otherwise, but the film would already be steps behind the cartoon (to which it will undoubtedly be compared to).

17. Silverbolt
    Temple Guard

Silverbolt Active Member

I, too, am a huge Gargoyles fan, but I hate to burst y'all's bubble...did you look at the date on the article?

It's April 1, 2014...April Fool's Day.

Notice how the last sentence of each paragraph is then the first sentence of the next paragraph as a quote by Feige?

Look at the other two animated series mentioned that Disney is "desperate for Marvel to do a movie with": Quack Pack and Mighty Ducks. Really? The Mighty Ducks is probably the worst of the Disney Afternoon cartoons. Classic characters like Donald, Daisy, and the nephews are probably not up for a live action blockbuster title like Feige is describing.

Look at the final thing Feige says: "what day is it?"

18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NOOOOOOOOO! In my excitement I completely missed that. What a disappointment.

19. Scalenex
    Slann

MAHRLECT!!!!!!!!!!

I hate you Internet! April Fools Day doesn't work in online articles where 90% of the views are when it's old. I don't want to check the date on nerdiness updates. Unfairs!

20. Lord Grok Of Xillaqua
    Kroxigor

Lord Grok Of Xillaqua Well-Known Member

April 1st is officially the only day of the year where I don't even bother to go online or read the news because until noon, how do I know there's a speck of truth to it? That and too many April 1st reports of "Brettonnia is getting a new rulebook!" to get fooled again by online journalism.