1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Lets talk Ripperdactyls

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Pinktaco, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Khornefed
    Skink

Khornefed Member

They would be good at taking out the chimera, marauder cav, swd & bd inf. Even droggers. Just not a lot of good match-ups there, at least with common stuff in WoC lists. WoC are just very resilient against most things. Rippers are going to suffer from low init against them, and even base st 4 is going to put the hurt on you due to high weapon skill ant multiple attacks. No, I think rippers become opportunistic flankers and hunters. Waiting for the right time to support another unit.

2. Ondjage
    Razordon

Ondjage Member

Allright, I just got the ripper/terra kit for my 24th birthday from my parents (yes)

Can anyone sum up why I would assemble them as terradons?

Rippers just seem better..

3. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

Rippers ARE more awesome O:

Unless you fancy the cameleon skink + terradon combo on warmachines. Also would your opponent really say too much if you one day decides you'll use them as terradons? I mean the model isn't that much different anyway, just make them aware of it.

4. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

My rippers went absolutetly bunkers today :jawdrop: :D

So I put the toad on a horde of empire greatswords today. Figured their T3/AS4+ would be good targets, especially because they'd hit last anyway.

SO what happend? They decided to give me the finger and failed their Ld frenzy test (despite being near slann), no BSB in sight, so they charged a unit of 15 IC Knights w/ GW head-on. At first I was a little sad, but then came the attacks. With no toad they do normal frenzy so +1A for each, with 4 attacking models it resulted in a total of 12 kills. I then decided to roll like a mad man and managed to kill 5 + 2 KB kills so a total of 7/15 knights died before they had even hit. Then he retaliated and killed.. 2 models.

For whatever reasons though the dice god wasn't finished with me. He rolled high twice with his IC Knights in the break test and they fled, however I persuied and caught him. Bam 15 IC Knights dead due to a random frenzy charge. With full command that's 405ps in one round.

For 240pts these guys are definately worth it and my friend outright told me he feared those more than my steg. Not just because what they did, but I suppose it has something to do with how they are more mobile + somewhat more reliable. The steg relies on impact hit + thunderstomps so should it ever get charged by a bunch of knights it's GG WP.

I'll try these out some more. I'm liking them more and more.

5. RipperDerek
    Razordon

RipperDerek Active Member

If you're going to keep trying them, you might want to try my strategy out and see how it works for you. As I mentioned earlier, I run both one large block and one small block. I find it's really helpful to have 2 toad markers for the larger block to take advantage of, while the smaller block doesn't need them to be useful in hunting warmachines and chaff. Plus, very rarely you might get to double-charge something with both units of rippers, which is hilarious when it happens.

The greatswords were good targets, btw. 4 rippers in combat average over 13 wounds / round against them!

6. Sleboda
    Troglodon

Sleboda Active Member

It's not a squadron of them, I'll grant you, but I had one chief on a ripper hold up an Iron Demon through 6 rounds of combat tonight. That's was joyous.

7. harbinger334
    Saurus

harbinger334 New Member

Hey guys i have a question about rippers soz if this sounds dumb but if they are technically monstterous cavalry will they get there toad rage ability in the second rank so a 3 frontage unit gets up to 18 attacks + max 18 for back rank in a unit of 6 thats awsome if thatd right XD sorry for my terrible spelling guys im on my phone here

8. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

They Are still just cavalry, so anyone in the back will just be the skink attacking. They mostly serve as extra wounds.

9. harbinger334
    Saurus

harbinger334 New Member

But arent they also monstrous cavalry same as empire gryphon thingys and juggernaoughts ? Monsterous cavalry can fight in several ranks cant they?

10. Screamer
    Temple Guard

Screamer Member

Only the rider can strike from second rank, not the beast.

11. harbinger334
    Saurus

harbinger334 New Member

No i am sorry piktaco i just looked it up your right i shall pick our empire player up on that next time thank you for straiftening that one out

12. harbinger334
    Saurus

harbinger334 New Member

Ok then thanks guys i think for now then ill field them in un its of 3 i have one more question guys if anyone can answer i would appteciate it so i have 4 ripper units in my army = 4 blot toads if i then put 1 blot toad from unit A in an empire zwordsmen unit and then charge them with a unit B that has its marker somwhere else does unit B benefit from unit As blot toad ? Thanks guys

13. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

This.. Is.. Awesome o: I should have 2 toads so I better get both painted if I consider to use then more often :)
    Anyway I just realized that the toad not only gains frenzy but also reroll to hit to the unit, I thought they had reroll at all times, oh well..

Anyway thanks for the advice(s).

14. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

@ripperderek do you usually take 3 or 4 rippers in the second unit?

15. RipperDerek
    Razordon

I think either 3 or 4 is defensible. The numbers in my list have been bouncing around a bit...I'm currently at 4, but I keep wondering if I should be using the points for the extra ripper on something else. Either way, my list is currently this:

Ethereal Battle Slann w/Focus of Mystery
    4x Scar-Vet Cowboys
    36x Skink Cohorts w/ 3 Krox
    10x Skink Skirmishers
    10x Skink Skirmishers
    10x Skink Skirmishers
    10x Skink Skirmishers
    6x Cold One Riders
    6x Ripperdactyl Riders
    4x Ripperdactyl Riders
    6x Chameleon Skinks
    6x Chameleon Skinks

I've been playing around with the infantry block (how big, whether Saurus or Skinks), the exact number of Ripperactyl Riders, and the exact number of Cold One Riders, but the general format has been pretty stable for me for a while now.

16. Sleboda
    Troglodon

Sleboda Active Member

A bit off topic, I know, but RipperDerek's list just made me sit back for a moment and appreciate just how fortunate we are to have the book we have. There are so many ways to build a Lizarmen army, and lots of those ways are competitive. It's great to have a book with such good internal balance that supports such variety.

I mean, my army and RipperDerek's could not be much more different, but looking at his list makes me want to give it a try at some point.

It's pretty cool to have options, is all I'm saying.

17. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Hmm with my current skills I think a skink heavy list as yours will be too hard for me to dance with.

Im still meswing around with what I want to play with and after 20 games I've hardly even found a stable core in my lists. While lizardmen might not have a ton of different models to play around with I think what we got allows for some varied lists.. As long as you're open minded.

For my next list I consider something like:

Slann w/ high magic and dispel scroll.
    Oldblood w/ glit scales, dawnstone and halbard, on CO
    Scar vet w/ armour of fortune, halbard and BSB, on foot.

2 x 30 saurus.
    2 x 10 skirmish javelins.
    10 skink cohort.

8-10 krox.
    6 rippers.
    3 rippers.

2 salamanders w/ snack.

BSB can be given to Slann and then not have the scar vet, but I dunno. Walk between worlds will be nasty on most of my units.
    It's against empire.

18. RipperDerek
    Razordon

Also, you probably already know this, but I figure it should be stated explicitly just in case: don't forget you can face your rippers away from enemy units at the end of their movement if you don't want them charging next turn. They follow the rules for fast cav, so they can reform to face any direction for free as many times as you want.

19. harbinger334
    Saurus

harbinger334 New Member

also rippers are great for messing up their positions due to their fast cav rule they have feigned flight which just is very useful get them within charge range (barely) make sure he cant redirect and then when he charges the lovely placed squidgy rippers run away re form and move behind him then hey presto you have an enemy unit out of possition and your rippers are in the firing line for a good flank or rear charge :)

20. RipperDerek
    Razordon

Rippers cannot flee, they are frenzied.