1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS line of sight

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Erta Wanderer, May 29, 2020.

1. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

hey all quick question does anything block line of sight beyond terrain? like if a model was big enough could it hide foot heroes behind it from incoming ranged attacks and spells?

LizardWizard likes this.
  2. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Not based on experience, but I would say yes.

Grrr, Imrahil

LizardWizard and Erta Wanderer like this.
  3. Imrahil
    Slann

I know that in the Middle Earth SBG you can target a model that stands behind another model.

After hitting roll a dice on a 4-6 you hit your target on a 1-3 you hit the model in front.

You could use this if there is no exact answer and your opponent agrees with it.

Grrr, Imrahil

LizardWizard and Erta Wanderer like this.
  4. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

not sure how that would work with a stegadon but thank you. i'm going to keep digging

LizardWizard and Imrahil like this.
  5. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

Line of sight is TRUE line of sight in tournaments for 40k, I see no reason why it would be different here

6. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

here is the rules from the CORE PDF. it is true line of sight, ignoring models in the same unit.

Attached Files:

7. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

awesome i just found another way that krokagor make great body guards

LizardWizard likes this.
  8. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

RAW - yes, but it has to be really big, and the hero has to be really small, so the enemy unit actually draw a true LoS to it. Other things, that block line of sight are Overgrown terrain (purely luck-based, but we can take a Sylvaneth allies to bring one Wyldwood) or Prismatic Palisade endless spell.

9. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

it's very fiddly though as most models aren't small enough to hide behind just 1 kroxigor. And the rules don't clearly state how partial LoS works. And kroxigor models leave quite large gaps between them, which can make it difficult to determine if they're hidden enough.

Imrahil and Erta Wanderer like this.
  10. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

star priests are much smaller and if you can put a fern between their legs then bam thats at least no spells hitting him. so hard but doable and if you use 3-6 of them you can get solid coverage

Imrahil likes this.
  11. Imrahil
    Slann

The problem would be that you also don't have LoS if you are hiding behind your Kroxigor ;)

Grrr, Imrahil

Erta Wanderer likes this.
  12. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

movement happens after casting so you can set it up where he taps some one ether of to the side or behind him(then LoSaT) and they go off to do the good work of sotec or he can just buff the krox before they go smash and die.
    mostly im just looking for ways to keep our glass heroes in the fight past turn1-2 you only really have to hide them from enimy casters and dangerous shooting guys not every one. you can even use it to force bad positioning on opponents who want them dead
    to be honest i wish guard could protect other heroes that would go a lot farther towards keeping them safe but as they can't we have to fall back on gimmicks like this

Imrahil likes this.
  13. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

Well, wouldn't this be equal to modeling for advantage?

14. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

kinda? if that was the gole then i guess but lots of people do thick jungle basses and if it works out that way i don't see the problem.
    my carnasuar has a big piece of ruins on it that would definitely block LoS but that was not what i was trying to do at the time

Imrahil likes this.
  15. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

In this case it's not just the area between the kroxigor legs but also the area between 2 kroxigors.

[​IMG]
    Just look at the massive gapes between Kroxigor 1 & 2 and between 2 & 3. You're going to need 2 ranks of honeycombed kroxigor to really start blocking LoS.

And filling those areas up with plants and whatnot would definitly be modelling to gain an advantage.

Admittadly it's doable with 2 ranks, but that probably interferse with using the kroxigor.

imho decoration of bases doesn't count as blocking LoS unless it's part of the original model. If you start including it it introduces all sorts of problems like your carnosaur which should have a large empty base and shouldn't really hide anything behind it.

On that note though, how many saurus warriors and skinks do you think you would need to hide say a skink priest? Imho, it should work, an archer isn't going to spot a skink priest hidden behind hordes of skinks. But modelwise it seems tricky.

Imrahil and Nart like this.
  16. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

or just 3 guys in a triangle

and i never suggested something that extreme

that seems fair

i think thats what look out sir is for and is why im going to try to make it work with the very tall krox it just seems weird to me that if his staff is poking up that you can shoot him and they even put him on a staircase so he would be taller. my star priests are worse as the way i kit bashed them they are all bigger then the slandered ones

Imrahil likes this.
  17. Imrahil
    Slann

True, but lets say in turn 3 you act as you explained, first casting and then moving in to cover. In turn 4 you're not able to see a Target for casting.

So you need to cast a buff spell.

In terms of modelling to your advantage, I think it is cool and a good idea to make the base of your model as nice as you like. But you're not allowed to take advantage off it.

On the other hand, when I creat a base to ellevate my monster (due to it being cool ;) ) sould it not count as disadvantage?

Grrr, Imrahil

Erta Wanderer likes this.
  18. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Issue with 3 guys in a triangle is that you're only blocking a fairly limited angle. Which is enough when you're dealing with 1 wizard, but 2 wizards should easily be able to position such that one of them can always see behind the triangle. With a larger group of kroxigor this becomes far more difficult.

Wasn't there a rule-snippet somewhere that stated that a bit of weapon or single outstretched arm or some such pointing out shouldn't count. Because 1) shooting his staff won't kill the starpriest anyway and 2) You can reasonably assume that the model is smart enough to lower his staff when he's trying to hide behind cover.

As for look out sir, that is not nearly enough to protect the especially squishy support heroes like our skinks. And it also creates odd situations where a skaven clawlord is protected, but a valuable weaponteam isn't. Which also kinda sucks. Would expect to be able to hide both of them in a horde of skaven.

19. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Grotpunter Well-Known Member

True line of sight is such a terrible rule honestly, especially with people kitbashing/converting/proxying models and thats without considering people making fancy bases etc. There is no way people will accept you blocking line of sight because you put a tree, tall grass or whatever on your base.

Im not sure how people are doing it at the big tournaments @LizardWizard but whenever I play in smaller tournaments or with my mates it is kinda a gentlemen thing. Usually you can shoot whatever is within range, unless there is an obvious thing blocking line of sight, like a terrain hill/wall/building in, or if there is a huge model like a Greater Unclean One. I dont think any of our models are big enough to give reasonable line of sight blocking.

Imrahil and LizardWizard like this.
  20. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

That has also been my experience at events. most of the big models also have lots of negative space around the legs as well. So, even if the model is large it probably isn't line of slight blocking. GUO is one of the few models you could hide others behind consistently. In terms of Seraphon I think the best bet might be to hide some skink priest from line of sight with Steggadons.

Occasionally at the club where I play in outside of tournaments we will use the fences and walls rules to apply cover to heavily obscured models. Which is all pretty subjective, but helps maintain the immersion.

Imrahil, Erta Wanderer and Grotpunter like this.