1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. Lizardman Starter Battalion Box

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Binz, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Binz
    Jungle Swarm

Binz New Member

Hey guys, could some one give me an approximate point value on the starter box for lizardmen? I dont have the army book yet, planning on getting that with the box once i have it, i just want to know how much points it can be, so to plan any additional purchases on the day :D

Basically, what i want to know, is can i buy a slann (because i love the model) and then pimp out the slann and some of the troops to give me a 2000 point army?

2. Babalu
    Skink

Babalu New Member

The Battalion has roughly 800-850 points, and contains no characters. At 2k you'd probably want a unit of Temple guard for your Slann (who would cost 4-500 points tooled up right) and either some Kroxigors or Sallys/Steg to round out our points. If your going Slann, a couple skink priests are a must for channeling and extra spell power. Personally I'd skip the steggy in a 2k game, hes too much to tie up for the points, terror is nice but kroxys can kill much more.
    hope it helps

3. Sammy the Squib
    Salamander

Sammy the Squib Member

The battalion is a great buy.

My advice would be to grab yourself a saurus character and maybe a skink priest at the same time you pick up the box, this will allow you to immediately start playing 1k point games while you decide on what you want for the rest of your force.

It's really up to you from here. If you want the Slann (and let's face it, who doesn't!) then depending on how you kit him out, he could take up a large chunk of your points. Possibly even more when you consider his bodyguard (the slann list I currently use, his unit is around 950pts!) but it sure is worth it as you'll will have a unrelenting magic phase and a rock hard unit to boot!

Krox, sallies, terradons, chameleons are all great units as well. There really isn't a bad choice! :p After a few games though, you'll find out which units you like best and which ones work best for you.

Another idea would be to get yourself another box of saurus. This will give you 40 which you could make into 2 blocks of 20 or, if you want to try a MSU style, 3 blocks of 12 or even 4 blocks of ten! :)

Let us know how you get on :)

4. Ychig0
    Skink

Ychig0 New Member

You can make the battalion a 1k pts army( not a good 1k army but you can use just to know how it is to play with the lizardmen) and you will need to buy a character.
    And , as stonehambey said, it is a good buy, but i think the saurus cavalry are kinda of useless,. :oops:

5. Saurus#1
    Skink

Saurus#1 New Member

I agree with Ychig0 that the saurus calvary is useless. IMO they should be like 25pts not 35 like they are now and that with no upgrade. Lizardmen are the most best army ever but a little pts heavy.

6. Sammy the Squib
    Salamander

Sammy the Squib Member

CoR are great, not many cavalry hit as hard as ours and cause fear! If they were 25 pts they would be underpriced IMO :)

7. SohCahToa
    Kroxigor

SohCahToa New Member

Except for that squishy 3+ save. At their points, every other cav. unit has a 1+ save, or offensive power superior to Saurus Cav (2 A, ASF dragon princes, or 2 A, Str 6 grail knights). They have there place, but I wouldnt call them great.

8. Sammy the Squib
    Salamander

Sammy the Squib Member

The save isn't great but grail knights and DP don't have t4, or s4 mounts, or fear...:p

They have done great for me many times, maybe I'm just not playing very good people :p

9. BlakkMetalRaaah
    Jungle Swarm

BlakkMetalRaaah New Member

No, I agree 100%. Saurus Calv are great for their points. Causing Fear, being T4 and being S4 without their gear (in case they get charged or dont break the enemy on the charge) is nice.

Comparing any other Cavalry to Grail Knights just isnt fair, as aside from the uttery expensive Blood Knights, they are superior to any other cavalry out there. Which is why they are a rare :D