1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contest Lizardmen April Poetry Contest Voting Thread

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by SlanntaClause, May 2, 2017.

?

Please vote for your favourite 3 Poems

Poll closed May 30, 2017.
  1. Poem 1

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Poem 2

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Poem 3

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Poem 4

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  5. Poem 5

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. Poem 6

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  7. Poem 7

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  8. Poem 8

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
  9. Poem 9

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  10. Poem 10

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  11. Poem 11

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  12. Poem 12

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
  13. Poem 13

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Yeah, Bowser took a massive amount of votes!

2. Wolfwerty33
    Cold One

Wolfwerty33 Active Member

The tie between 8 and 12 is starting to get on my nerves.

Ritual and Bowser like this.
  3. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Seriously! Though I suppose the Rat vs. Sotek is an eternal struggle, so I am somewhat rooting for a tie here.

4. Y'ttar Scaletail
    Troglodon

Y'ttar Scaletail Well-Known Member

You're only saying that because you wrote both of them, Bowser. :p

In either case I find it funny how it is so neck and neck. I thought the Rat had it until the serpent awoke.

Ritual, Bowser and SlanntaClause like this.
  5. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

SlanntaClause Well-Known Member

I hadn't dreamt up a tie breaker challenge but if there is a tie there will be torturous consequences for all those involved :p gruelling challenges ahead...

Ritual and Bowser like this.
  6. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I am prepared to compete against myself in the event of a tie!

7. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

Not long left and It's still a close run race if you haven't voted or read these yet its time to do so :D

Ritual, Bowser and Y'ttar Scaletail like this.
  8. Y'ttar Scaletail
    Troglodon

The fight between rat and serpent continues. XD

Well done to the writer-things/Bowser.

Ritual, Bowser and SlanntaClause like this.
  9. thedarkfourth
    Kroxigor

thedarkfourth Well-Known Member

Wey-oh. Hark ye to the tale of the poetry.

The competition is over and yet the losers still live, their names unknown, their blood unspilled on the temple steps.

The rat and the serpent remain locked in battle for eternity, as it should be.

Bowser has yet to claim his rewards for the winning entries, and his punishment for the losing ones.

Our master of rituals/archives has already claimed his (magnificent) entry on a separate thread, finally losing his patience after all these years and going rogue, outside the system, unkempt hair and tattered robe flapping behind him as he storms around his private chambers, muttering to himself and trying to drown out the visions of bamboo that keep flashing before his eyes.

The master of ceremonies (for this comp) has not been seen for many cycles and is believed lost down a chimney somewhere.

The court jester, he of the eggshell cap, is equally evasive, babbling incoherently of work in a "real world" that supposedly exists outside Fluff and Stories.

The rival competition, for short stories, languishes with only 9 votes and 3 sets of reviews. The believers are abandoning the faith. The altars left unfurnished, the incantations left un-intoned.

My poem got a whopping two votes. For the longest time it was on zero, where I was secretly hoping it would stay, confirming that I need to stick to prose. Fortunately I have just begun a new ongoing story that everyone should check out.

We all wait grimly for a hero to lead us from our malaise. We need fresh offerings of creativity, and renewed engagement. Luckily we have several promising newcomers who I am quite excited about.

Harken ye to my words!

10. Killer Angel
    Slann

Mine too. Prose FTW! ;)

Aginor and Ritual like this.
  11. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

I'd just like to thank @Bowser for his contribution to this competition below is the unofficial list of authors:

Poem 1 @Bowser
    Poem 2 @Bowser
    Poem 3 @Bowser
    Poem 4 @Bowser
    Poem 5 @Bowser
    Poem 6 @Bowser
    Poem 7 @Bowser
    Poem 8 @Bowser
    Poem 9 @Bowser
    Poem 10 @Bowser
    Poem 11 @Bowser
    Poem 12 @Bowser
    Poem 13 @Bowser

But below this is the official list of authors :)

Poem 1 @Crowsfoot
    Poem 2 @Killer Angel
    Poem 3 @Aginor
    Poem 4 @Bowser
    Poem 5 @thedarkfourth
    Poem 6 @spawning of Bob
    Poem 7 @Scalenex
    Poem 8 @Wolfwerty33
    Poem 9 @Soxii
    Poem 10 @Soxii
    Poem 11 @Essmir
    Poem 12 @Y'ttar Scaletail
    Poem 13 @SlanntaClause

There is a tie between Poems 8 And 12 - If both authors want to message me if they're happy to tie for 1st if either of them aren't then we will find a way to resolve it.

thedarkfourth, Crowsfoot and Bowser like this.
  12. Y'ttar Scaletail
    Troglodon

Well then

Crowsfoot likes this.
  13. Y'ttar Scaletail
    Troglodon

Okies, I should do a better reply-thing.

I was actually expecting to do poorly and possibly irritate with my portrayal of Sotek. Especially given how I describe his/her/its twin tail as in reality wings, and whatever entity it was merely takes up the identity of the twin tailed serpent to best serve the orphans. I generally don't really like writing poetry so much, as once I get the first lines I will then spend the next 15-30ish minutes feverishly writing and polishing something, which can be just a tad draining. I still think a few lines are a bit janky, but the vote-things say it did the trick.

In all this was a terrific competition with brilliant entries of varying and fun styles. It really wasn't easy to vote for and just so.

Thirteen hundred cheers and sacrifices to the Big Hatted Old One to our entrants, voters, and that jolly ol' Slanntaclause!

Bowser likes this.
  14. Killer Angel
    Slann

Nope, it was me.;)
    I wrote it almost in a rush, it came to me almost in "real time", while I was writing it. Then I polished it a little and submit.
    BTW, it wasn't (in my mind) cynical about AoS... it was more "hey, don't cry too much over the end of 8th, we can have fun also with this new universe!".
    Then, it was most a matter to give it a symmetry, giving it a good solid rhyming scheme (6 stanzas, respectively with 4-4-6-6-4-4 lines, ABAB with 4 lines, ABABCC with 6), and a somewhat common pattern of syllables (8-9 per line: to create a real pattern is beyond by skills).

But it was overall a piece written for fun. :)

Sigh.
    For the life of me, I cannot understand why i keep mixing Slaan and Slann. I don't know, it's not the first time. And I don't even like Slaanesh! :bag:

Bowser likes this.
  15. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I want to say thank you to the three guys who voted for my war song about the Shadowstrike Starhost. :)

It is funny how quickly I was able to write it, it took me only an hour or two, with the text being completely original and not in my native language I thought it would be much harder, but it was fun to do. I am not too good with rhymes so I chose a simple scheme and a song with a simple melody that I know rather well since it is the unofficial anthem of the area I live in.

Thank you! The idea behind the form you see it in is that it looks like the lyrics sheets I use when playing the guitar. That's why it just says "Repeat Chorus"

I think I may actually record it some day, just for fun. Will need a few drinks before doing it though. :D

Great work with the poems everyone, it was a pleasure to read them all, and clearly there are some really talented guys among us. Cool contest @SlanntaClause ! :)

16. Killer Angel
    Slann

You're welcome. ;)

Bowser and Aginor like this.
  17. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

The Winner(s) have spoken a tie has been decreed :D

18. Y'ttar Scaletail
    Troglodon

Huh, and here I was amassing as many doomwheels and warp-paint throwers...I mean...I am glad that the Big Hatted Old One-thing has smiled upon us in this declaration of a tie-thing. It'd be bad-bad for two Skaven totally lizard-things to continue to battle over word-things. :p

I did find it funny how Bowser thought number 8 was clearly me. I did once write a Skaven parody of the Raven a long time ago though...not to mention my first campaign story epic being titled "Why is a Skaven like a man-thing desk?"

thedarkfourth and SlanntaClause like this.
  19. Wolfwerty33
    Cold One

Wolfwerty33 Active Member

Okay. I have a confession to make. My poem was not inspired purely by love of writing or by love of Poe. It was, in fact, a political manoeuvre.

I play a play-by-post roleplaying game on another forum. This forum is, in fact, entirely set up for this one game. The game itself centres around the Skaven stronghold of Hell Pit, now flying through the warp, and the Moulders on it. In the game, you take on the role of a Moulder, and create beasts that beat (or cut, or bite, or fireball, or...) each other to incapacitation in an arena to win you money and glory (or somehow manage to paralyse themselves and get beaten up instead).

And yes, you can play a Lizardman. I wouldn’t be advertising here otherwise.

Here’s the link: http://s9.zetaboards.com/Moulder_Pitfighters/index/. The site explains it better than I ever could. The game is currently in an update phase, with about a week still to go, so it’s a good time to go over, read the rules and figure out if you want to play or not.

If you do decide to play, I'm still called Wolfwerty33 over there, and I'll be willing to help out any fellow lizards.

thedarkfourth likes this.
  20. Essmir
    Chameleon Skink

Essmir Well-Known Member

I am intrigued, you might want to start a new tread and advertise it. I have a few questions but it does not feel appropriate for this tread.