1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lizardmen army of KoboldArt [PAPO Velociraptor as Carnosaur]

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by KoboldArt, May 13, 2010.

1. KoboldArt
    Jungle Swarm

KoboldArt New Member

Greetings everyone!

This is my very first post here, and I decided to start with two newly painted models (a skink and a saurus warrior champion) of my upcoming lizardmen army.
    The main scheme is not much different than the original GW style, but a bit darker.
    I hope you'll like them :)

skink001.jpg sauruschamp001.jpg

I have some conversion ideas in my mind. I'll submit the documentations as soon as possible, if you're interested :)

Note: I know the photoes and my english are not the best, please forgive me!

2. Centzon
    Jungle Swarm

Centzon New Member

Re: Lizardmen army of KoboldArt

They look very well painted to me. I especially like the gold on the saurus' shield, and the skinks crest. The skink's eyes are the best part of the models to me. They look very lifelike and give a lot of character to the model.

3. Arsenal
    Temple Guard

Arsenal New Member

They look very good. I like the darker tone much better than the lighter one of the GW scheme. What are you going to do to base them? I can't wait to see them complete. Keep it up.

4. KoboldArt
    Jungle Swarm

KoboldArt New Member

I'm planing some deep jungle style basing for them, like mossy rocks, water, leaves, braches, small snakes, frogs, etc. I'll do the main basing with these to try out what works the best.

5. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Cool head crests, great work!

6. KoboldArt
    Jungle Swarm

KoboldArt New Member

Hello

I've a little problem. In the past few weeks I'm on to find a good alternative to Carnosaur (I don't realy like the original one for that price).
    I've found two potencial basic figure to be converted az a Carnosaur.

The first one is the good old Jurassic Park toy Coelophysis:
    jurassicparkraptor3c.jpg
    pros: It is almost the same size as the GW carni, I can pose it as I like with a low amount of "cut and putty"
    cons: I have to use a bounch of GS to cover those huge joints, and it has a silly looking head for an ultimate predator

The second one is a Papo toy Velociraptor:

pros: It is greatly sculpted, it looks just like a mini
    cons: It is too big for a carni (5,7" long and 4" tall...as long as a steg and two times high), not so variable with poses.

I like the second one more, but I think it would be too large.

What do you think? Which one would you use as a carni?

7. Arsenal
    Temple Guard

Arsenal New Member

The 1st is too long and thin and hardly represents an apex predator. The second works much better, but I would just like to see how you would get the rider positioned on it.

I wouldn't worry about the scale, since being on 50x50 base it should fit even if bigger than the GW model. the only time I could see it being an issue is using TLOS.

Can you take a pic of both of those models up against some GW models for scale comparison?

8. KoboldArt
    Jungle Swarm

KoboldArt New Member

I don't have any of these :( That's why I'm trying to get some help to decide which one to buy.

Te only scale comparison that may make any sence is this one about the raptor:
    3fc7e03ae7a02a1bd3091210.L.jpg

I don't know how big is this PSP thing, so I can't imagine how big is the raptor could be...I know the written parameters, but I don't know if they're true.

Maybe I should wait till the 8th ed to see if there will be any TLOS rules (I hope not)...

9. Nakai
    Saurus

Nakai Member

hell id mount that on a base and scratch build a saurus oldblood to ride it anyway that thing is bad ass. who cares about scale as long as its on the right size base should be no problem.

10. Arsenal
    Temple Guard

Arsenal New Member

The height of the PSP if you flipped it up on it's side is 74mm. The base for the Carno should be 50x50. I think you will have to put him on the base on the diagonal to get him to fit on it. You could always build the base up with something like a big piece of shale and accommodate it that way as well.

I just wonder how small the rider will look, but the smaller he looks, the more imposing the Carno looks.

I wanted to use one of Hordes War Beasts as a conversion for a carnosaur myself, but I just couldn't figure out how to get a rider on the damn thing.

worm.jpg

I may just use it as a unit filler once it's built and painted.

11. KoboldArt
    Jungle Swarm

KoboldArt New Member

Thank you all. I think I'll buy this little fella anyway :) I'm not toying with such things, I will always be a great fan of diosaurs :D

Arsenal: it's an unusual idea, but I'm looking forward to see your conversion of this :)

12. KoboldArt
    Jungle Swarm

KoboldArt New Member

Hello everyone!

I've just got my PAPO Velociraptor figure and I can say that it is a bit larger than the original, but who cares, it looks awsome :D

Here's some pictures:
    Kp007-2.jpg
    Comparition with stegadon and saurus champion

Kp008-3.jpg
    Just behind a stegadon

Kp009-4.jpg
    And with rider (maybe I'll put the saurus closer to the neck)

It fits the 50mm base perfectly!

I think I'll do some repositioning on it, and put on some "lizardmanish" thingies, and ofc. I'll repaint it :)

What do you think?

13. Bentistos
    Saurus

Bentistos New Member

Yea, you should put him closer to the neck, but besides that: great idea! The rider seems to fit perfectly and the size is not too big at all, seeing as he fits on the base.
    Looks awesome, can't wait to see it painted!

14. Arsenal
    Temple Guard

Arsenal New Member

That mouth looks like a D3 wounds per bite to me. I think we have a winner!