1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion Lizardmen oceanic travel?

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by Zlatchi, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Zlatchi
    Jungle Swarm

Zlatchi New Member

Apologies if this has been discussed in an earlier thread but there is something that had been bothering me for a while regarding the Lizardmen. Namely, do the Lizardmen travel across the great ocean seperating Lustria and the Isthmus from the Old World and the Southlands? And if so, how?

Do the Lizardmen have ship building technology? If so do they have a navy? Or do they have some other means of transportation such as the Slann using teleportation magic?

I've always been pretty curious because in my mind it wouldn't be too far-fetched for the Lustrian Lizardmen to occasionally reinforce the Southlands (or vice-versa). Also I remember Kroq-gar leading a Lizardmen host to Albion during a campagin, so how did he get there?

Appreciate the help guys.

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

We have a series of teleporters set in the intersecting geometric way lines.
    they connect Lustria to the southlands and Albion.
    and they have ben there longer that the other races have existed.
    (where set up by the Old Ones)

Slanputin likes this.
  3. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

Pretty much what N810 said, for long distances the LM are warped through magical waypoints connected by the geomantic web.

For more manageable distances,well, there's this rather lovely conversion for inspiration:
    [​IMG]

4. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

The Sauric Ace Well-Known Member

I always liked that turtle, it seems so prehistoric and feral. A perfect transportations system, for heaps of saurus warriors :D
    It's fan made though, or was there any rules covering seafaring, that sort of included them in a white dwarf? I might just have stumbled upon some random rules, though.

5. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

There are seafaring rules in the BRB,
    that where used by exactly 1 model. :meh:

6. Zlatchi
    Jungle Swarm

Zlatchi New Member

First of all, thank you for that. Much appreciated

Secondly, so does that mean the Lizardmen can teleport to to anywhere provided there is a geomantic intersection or does there have to be a "reciever" at the other end? Because after checking, the lore appears to say that Konquata (in Albion) was "recently" founded. Or is that simply the Lizardmen way of saying "we are gonna rebuild on the ruins of an ancient and ruined temple city we have just regained"?

That does look pretty neat, definitely not great for long distance travel though. :D

7. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I Can't recall if there was already a portal already there or if they made a new one,
    but I think it was ruins of an Old One city.

8. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

If they where to travel across water the Lizardmen could ride on Pliodons.

Lizardmen army book page 22: "Pliodons acted as living ferries across the wide canals"

9. Zlatchi
    Jungle Swarm

Zlatchi New Member

Considering that the Lizardmen ruled the world for quite a while before their fall, I guess it isn't much of a stretch for the odd temple city ruin to be dotted about. Mabye the reciever was only intact enough to let a few through to repair it or something before the rest of the host arrived? I don't know, I'm just specualting at this point.

My guess is that a dinosaur used to ferrying across canals might be unsuitable for ocean travel, but considering the amount of oceanic behemoths that were around in our world history I suppose its possible the Lizardmen were able to domesticate something like them.

10. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

In fifth edition Mazdamundi had the ability to part rivers and lakes on the tabletop. In fluff he could make a marching path for armies across the ocean.

11. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

I'm sure there was a Warhammer nautical expansion within the last 5 years, but Man O' War was a thing back in the day. Manowar never covered LM, but I'm sure people scratch built their own navies.

From a gaming / campaigning point of view, how they get around isn't a big problem - have a Slann hand wave a magic portal.

From a fluff point of view, I am happy with the lack of practical and well explained means of travel for LM. I can write about them being completely unknown in the Old World except by aggressive seafaring nations (High Elves, Norscans, DE, Ogres). Even the Tileans would have scant knowledge because they might have pulled ashore in Lustria,and then pulled off again as fast as possible.

To get from new world to old world I used a skaven tunnel below the ocean. To get back, I will need a Norscan ship.

@Kcibrihp-Esurc has his sea skinks as established seafarers. @Scalenex recently acquired Lustria's first small fleet - which will no doubt be important later in Lustria's not quite civil war. @Fhanados used "They were a long way from home, transported from one side of the world to the other by some arcane device and the phenomenal power of the Slann."

I'll be interested in reading about whatever solution you choose - it will be a Zlatchi original.

12. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

In regards to portals Lizardmen use to travel across the world, it's covered a fair bit in the Gotrek and Felix books (third omnibus I think?). A network of "Paths of the Old Ones" were created - extradimensional passageways that linked key places of the web. They are described as literal tunnels through the dimension of Chaos (think the Eldar Webway in 40k). You activate the entrance portal (a physical construct, normally at a temple of some sorts), walk into the path and navigate the maze to emerge at another portal. Over the ages since the Old Ones left they have steadily degraded and Chaos has seeped in and corrupted the paths - forming little mini realms of Chaos. Some of the paths are still safe, which the Lizardmen use to get places, but much of it is unusable now.

I think there's mention of travel over seas on the backs of giant creatures, but I could be thinking of that conversion! (and my own story...)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  13. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

That was from The General's Compedium which encouraged the building of Warhammer Watercraft for all the armies. There were skirmish-like rules for conducting battles involving deck-to-deck fighting and carronading or ramming enemy boats.

14. pendrake
    Skink Priest

Q1: Yes except when it is No.
    Q2: Yes unless it is No.

Bottom line is when Games Workshop felt like marketing a game called Man O' War, yes, all the different factions had naval forces. (Those gunpowder shunning Bretonnians had 18 gun three masted frigates! known in their service as corsairs.) But, when Man O' War went into mothballs the oceans were ignored, full of monsters, etc.

Q3: All the races have or had some sort of handwave means of getting from Point A to B on the Olde Warhammer globe. The handwave for both the High Elves and Dark Elves was always ships or ships and seamonsters respectively. The LM had magic leylines, portals, or something such as that: think Stargate SG1 with Sotek glyphs.

Slanputin likes this.
  15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Sure beats a ship doesn't it? :)

ASSASSIN_NR_1 likes this.
  16. pendrake
    Skink Priest

For some purposes.

17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Near instantaneous travel... YES please!

18. pendrake
    Skink Priest

Stuck / Lost / Stranded if the Slann is taken out.

19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Still better than a shipping sinking to the ocean floor. ;)

20. pendrake
    Skink Priest

Fair point, ancient, mundane transport modes are all problematic.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.