1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LO Battle League

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Xlcontiqu, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Xlcontiqu
    Ripperdactil

Xlcontiqu New Member

Hello fellow Lustrians!

After a discussion with a couple of other forum members, I have decided that there might be some interest in an online battle league. Two participants would play a battle every two weeks as part of the league. The battles would only require between three or four hours to complete. The battle would be played on this battle server

Some screenshots of the battle server:

LizardmenArmyPicture.png

LizardmenvsHighElvesEndofDeployment.png

LizardmenvsHighElvesEndofHighElvesTurn1.png

Sneak a look at my battle report for a couple others. I am hoping to have ten or more people to form the league. If there is enough interest I will add more formal rules, but I am mainly just looking for interest at the moment. I would like to have this running in a couple weeks.

Any takers?

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Sounds interesting, I'll give it a go.

The link you posted to the battle server didn't work for me though.

3. Sammy the Squib
    Salamander

Sammy the Squib Member

fixed

4. strewart
    OldBlood

Cool, I have just had a play with the program for half an hour or so. Will take a little bit of fiddling from everyone interested to get used to it, when you are in a battle there is a chat window but would also be handy to combine with our IRC channel.

Basic stuff is free, which includes a few simple armies but not the ability to save games midway through. The basic armies are:
    -Human (fairly complete, would work for Bret or Empire easy)
    -Elf (reasonable selection, could field any elf armies)
    -Lizardmen (biggest omission is the Slann unfortunately)
    -Dwarfs (I'm not that familiar with them, seemed decent amount of choice)
    -Mutant rats (Skaven, this army was very very limited though)
    -Undead (not a lot of variety, but enough for either army)
    -Orcs and Goblins (again, bit limited, but enough for everything)
    -Ogres (decent selection)

You can name any units whatever you want, so it would be easy to grab say the carnosaur, name it a Slann, and put it in the middle of a Temple Guard named saurus unit. Looks like there is enough to sub for any army.

Additionally, you can make your own army, which involves the basic models, equipping them with weapons, adding characters, customized (mixed) units etc. which would make a more complete battle, but will take a bit longer to do. And unfortunately, saving a custom army costs you a pro membership... So basic for a lot of us I would guess.

Anyway, I suggest we start with really small battles, I'm thinking 500 points maximum, just to get used to how the program works and such. When people start getting more familiar with it, and more people see how fun it is and join, then we can think about expanding to big battles.

Just a few thoughts from my play so far.

5. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I am interested in this. I think it would be fun.

6. rammramm
    Chameleon Skink

rammramm New Member

I am interested as well. Would be fun.
    I have allready played a few games with the server and it is easy to get used to.

7. Arli
    Skink Priest

If you do not use the Pro version, do you have to create your army every time?

8. strewart
    OldBlood

Well when you use the pro version, it is unit types that you create not actual units. For example, a saurus as a base model can then be equipped with a shield and either hand weapon or spear, it can also be given custom colours and armour etc. When you join a battle, you still need to create actual units and an army out of the base types.

Same as the free version, but with the free version you don't get the customization, just the few unit types they give you for free.

9. Arli
    Skink Priest

I tried it out today. I went ahead and sprung for a pro trail (for a whole week). It was fun. It really takes alot of focus though. It will definately help you learn the rules.

10. Xlcontiqu
    Ripperdactil

Xlcontiqu New Member

LO Battle League Rules and Registration

First of all, I would just like a formal registration from everyone to allow me to figure out exactly how many people are competing and what they are competing with. So just fill out the following form in your reply.

To begin with, the battle league will be an escalation league to get everyone used to the battle server and to allow people to get acquainted with each other through quick games. The schedule will run as follow:

Round 1 (Dates TBA)
    Game 1: 500 pts
    Game 2: 500 pts
    Game 3: 625 pts
    Game 4: 750 pts
    Game 5: 875 pts
    Game 6: 1000 pts

Army List Composition
    Each player must keep the same race for the entire round. That means no switching once you have decided.
    Each game (besides the first two) will have additional points added to each army. These additional points are subject to the same restrictions. Each new list must have at least half (points-wise) of the previous list. For example, when preparing one's list for game three, 250 points from game two's list must be present.

Restrictions
    No lords over 150 points are allowed.
    Power Scroll is banned.
    No core units above 50 models or special units above 30 models are allowed.

Army List Denial
    Lists will only be denied if three or more of the tournament's entrants deem the list too hard for the environment. If this is the case, the list must be changed and resubmitted. All army lists are to be emailed to me before each new game to check point values and restrictions.

Regarding Games
    The map used for each game will be posted before the game starts. That map is to be used, and no other. All battles will be Pitched Battles. Each player has two weeks to complete their game, and if unfinished, points will be counted for units eliminated in the game up to the point. Points will be given for units below half strength. If your opponent does not show, they will be given a warning. If no response is heard from in two days, the opponent will receive zero points, and active player will receive points equivalent to two-thirds of his opponent's army. Additionally, each player is responsible to keep an active battle report thread with points scored as the bare minimum. Full length battle reports are encouraged, but not required.

Above all, I want this league to be competitive, but fun. Please try to keep lists at that level and do not build a hard list just for the sake of winning. Additionally, I would like a high level of truthfulness and honesty in games, as not everyone will have access to race-specific books. Feel free to ask me any questions, and you can email your lists to: lo.battleleague@gmail.com.

11. Xlcontiqu
    Ripperdactil

Xlcontiqu New Member

Server name: Xlcontiqu
    Army you plan to play: Wood Elves
    Time zone: Pacific

12. novatomato
    Razordon

novatomato Member

Server name: novatomato
    Army you plan to play: Warriors of Chaos
    Time zone: GMT - 5 hours.

13. rammramm
    Chameleon Skink

rammramm New Member

Server name: rammramm
    Army you plan to play: Lizardmen
    Time zone: GMT +1 hours.

14. Arli
    Skink Priest

Server name: Arli
    Army you plan to play: Lizardmen
    Time zone: GMT +5 hours.

15. Xlcontiqu
    Ripperdactil

Xlcontiqu New Member

Okay, just finished up my conference, so I have a fair bit more time to spend on this. If everyone could start sending their lists in, it would be fantastic to have this started up in a few days.

16. Arli
    Skink Priest

So, now you need the 500 pt lists? Or do you want a few lists?

17. Xlcontiqu
    Ripperdactil

Xlcontiqu New Member

Just the 500 pt lists for now. The other ones can be sent in when necessary.

18. Arli
    Skink Priest

Email sent. I also put a question in there. I can just ask it here. I considered using Ogre Kingdoms. However, at 500 pts, there is no hero that is within the 125 pt cap for Heroes. How would you handle that at the 500 pt level?

19. Xlcontiqu
    Ripperdactil

Xlcontiqu New Member

I think there are two routes we could go. We could either just a Champion as the General, or allow a cheap hero. Either option is fine for me, though just keeping it to a Champion is probably easier for the OK player.

20. strewart
    OldBlood

I believe most tournaments allow Ogres and TK/VC/Bret (all need either 2 characters or one is very expensive) to go beyond the character points limit as long as just 1 character is selected. Up to you how you handle it.

I want to join this, but to be honest the next week or so is really busy for me.. I'm probably better off entering later. GMT +10.5 hours for the record.