1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Lord Kroak + Astrolith Bearer

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by jevan, Aug 11, 2017.

1. jevan
    Skink

jevan New Member

Rudimentary Combo. With the Astrolith bearer within 10" of him and the standard planted, Lord Kroak during hero phase uses his Command Ability: Impecable Foresight. Then casts the first of three Celestial Deliverance spells. If he fails one of the rolls then he just uses his dice reroll from his command ability. And the Astrolith Bearer adds a full 8" to his 3D6 range. This ability affects every single enemy unit within that range. The amount of mortal wounds that he can dish out is staggering. ( depending how many units are in range ) The fact that he can do this spell three times every hero phase plus Comets Call results in a killing machine. And remember: the Astrolith Bearer allows him a +1 when casting any spell as well. And ALL Seraphon units within 10" of the planted Standard get to reroll ALL failed to hit rolls. Super, super powerful I guess I do have one question: how many Astrolith Bearers can you have? It is not a named hero so I imagine as many as you want to pay for… Is that correct?

2. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

Not really sure but Astrolith sure is costy. Why would you wanna pay for a 2nd one ?

3. jevan
    Skink

jevan New Member

I rerolled so many misses that turned into hits, I was in awe of this unit. I actually have two of them and the thought imeadiately occurred to me to have two to cover the whole table, or to actually add their effects together? Would that work? Two, non-unique models that project effects are cumulative as far as I can tell. Is that correct? @Seraphage @Killer Angel

4. Seraphage
    Stegadon

360 is roughly 1/5 of your army. It is also way costly mobility - wise. This can hurt a lot. Besides : always keep in mind that not everything ismeant to deal damage so the 2nd reroll won't really pay for its cost

5. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

I don't have the reference right here, but you can reroll a dice just once.

6. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

It is in the core rules, page one in the middle.

7. Seraphage
    Stegadon

The way he implied it, was that they will be covering different parts of the armies so no double rerolls. My answer was on that anyway - still wouldn't worth it

8. Killer Angel
    Slann

Yeah, one is enough. The only case when you could need a second bearer is if the first one dies during bodyguard duty, and you summon another one.

Seraphage likes this.
  9. jevan
    Skink

jevan New Member

Ok so the reroll doesn't apply. What about the +1 to casting spells, and the +8" to spell range. Do those stack? This guy is a smorgasbord of beneficial effects! At some pint I need to understand what abilities stack and why

10. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I am not sure if there is really a consensus about the stacking of those two abilities, but I'd say they do.
    But it still isn't worth running two Astrolith Bearers IMO. Better one, and a Balewind Vortex.

Wazz likes this.
  11. Jbird460
    Saurus

Jbird460 Member

If you run the Astrolith and a Vortex you get 3d6 range plus 8 them double that. Thats on average a 34 inch bubble at max 52 that evething takes d3 wounds. If you wana play kroak you need a Vortex it makes him harder to kill and his spells way better.

12. Killer Angel
    Slann

To be fair, Balewind Vortex sits at the borders of the "OP territory"...

13. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Well considering how range is what really seems to overpower everything rest at AoS right now, I m not that sure about it. And the cost is not big but if your mage gets shot down and you don't have another, you lose quite the points

14. Killer Angel
    Slann

Your opponent needs to start first and kill your mage in the first turn. After that, there's only shooting.

15. Jbird460
    Saurus

Jbird460 Member

Its definitely not OP because the major flaws. You dont have much a army after kroak dies and the rest of your army needs to shore up that weakness. Also once kroak is planted your stuck so he may be in a bad spot if have to place him in the corner to keep alive.

Aginor and Seraphage like this.