1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Lore Of Beasts Attribute Q

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Fhanados, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

Just a very quick question about the lore of beasts attribute - Does the -1 to cast for "Wildheart" take effect when targeting a unit like Salamanders (which is a mix of beasts and not beasts) or characters on ridden monsters (ie Saurus characters on a Carnosaur or Skink characters or Mazdamundi on Stegadons)?

Thanks in advance!

2. Man0waR
    Kroxigor

Man0waR Member

it affects the following units

All Beastmen.

Warbeast
    Cavalry
    Monster beast (salamanders, razordons)
    Monster infantry
    Monster cavalry
    Monster

3. Agrem
    Kroxigor

Agrem Active Member

Salamanders and razordons are a bit silly by their rules as you ignore the handlers almost so that the handler models weren't even there. So the unit is just monstrous beast.

And as per rules of characters that ride monsters (pg. 105) the model has troop type of monster so yes to the latter part of the question also.

BR
    Agrem

4. Fhanados
    Terradon

Reading into that literally, would that mean if I was to cast say Savage Beast on a Carno Oldblood I would not benefit from the attribute because the target is the character, not the mount.

Or would I get the bonus because it counts as one model, but the spell only affects the character?

5. Man0waR
    Kroxigor

Man0waR Member

Actually the target is a hero/lord character, this character count as Monster type while he is riding a monster. So you get the -1 to cast.

Although the spell grants +3 S +3 A to the model profile<--- Not the character.

So RAW both the character and the monster get the boost to their profiles. Which is huge.

Now think on a skink chief +4 common skink + Ancient Stegadon being affected by this spell.

Chief 6 attacks of Strength 7
    Howdah Skinks 16 Attacks of Strength 6
    Stegadon 6 Attacks of Strength 9

6. Fhanados
    Terradon

Oh wow I missed that when reading about character mounts. It makes skinks on stegs a bit better and carnos far more killy!

7. owain_b
    Saurus

owain_b Member

Is that the general consensus on here or is that just abusing RAW? Because that really is huge!! If it works like that that would make a chief on steg a must for every game

8. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Not necessarily. You aren't guaranteed Savage Beast of Horros and your opponent can always dispel it.

9. owain_b
    Saurus

owain_b Member

Well yeah, but if you pulled it off that steg would make a blender lord look like a old lady with a very soft handbag and a generally good temper

Qupakoco and n810 like this.
  10. krogui
    Jungle Swarm

krogui New Member

From the BRB says that Character and his mount are treated as a single character.

11. Screamer
    Temple Guard

Screamer Member

What happens if you target Wyssans on a unit of saurus with a cowboy scar-vet? Do you get +1 to cast since the scar-vet also is a target, or do you only count the saurus?

12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

That's a tough one. I don't think you can argue against it with RAW, but it feels a bit dirty.

I don't believe you would get the +1 to cast since the lore attribute takes effect when "targeted on one or more units of war beasts, cavalry...". A unit of saurus with a cowboy is not a unit of cavalry. If the cowboy was on his own, then for sure you'd eligible to get +1 to cast.

Trociu likes this.
  13. Agrem
    Kroxigor

Agrem Active Member

Agreed on this. The unit is still infantry. Also note that in cases the lore attribute would come into effect it's not a +1 to cast the spell but rather the casting value of the spell is lowered by one.

BR
    Agrem

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Silly me, you're absolutely right.