1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost Temple Bases and Carnosaur from ManicWorkbench

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by WorkbenchManiac, Jul 29, 2010.

1. WorkbenchManiac
    Skink

WorkbenchManiac New Member

Gearing up for a new lizardmen army I started modelling custom bases for myself, but since 8th edition gave me a swift kick in the proverbial nuts i won´t be doing a new army after all. I might just convert some of the models I already bought for Blood Bowl though...

Anyway, not wanting to see my work go to waste I finished the first base anyway. I did enjoy making it after all.

Lost+Temple+Base+Finished+29.07.2010.jpg
    I originally intended to have an entire army on bases in this design, a withered temple city reclaimed by the lustrian jungle.

I hope you like it, feedback is always welcome!

Greetz, the Maniac

PS: This is my first post, so: Hi y´all! :D

PPS: I don´t seem to be able to link to the picture using [​IMG]

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Re: Lost Temple Base for Stegadons

Greetings, welcome to Lustria!
    I fixed the tags. We disabled img and url because SPAMbots were using them, instead we use linkeh and pic both working in the same way the old tags did but with a different name.

The base looks good! Awesome work, fairly timeconsuming though I imagine? :p A full army with those bases would look cool.

3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

8th edition isn't as bad as the internet troll make it out to be,
    Your base looks quite nice, it's a shame you don't feel
    up to making them for your whole army. :(

4. Mr.Esty
    Saurus

Mr.Esty New Member

Love that base! Those leaves are amazing, are they made from green stuff or brass etch? Hope you reconsider, and try your army out with some 8th edition games :D

5. WorkbenchManiac
    Skink

Thanks strewart, I assumed it was a protection against spam.

@ n810: I played 8th and it just is not my kind of game anymore. Which is sad, since I started in 5th with lizardmen and love the army and wanted to revisit them and do them justice by modelling the bases, sculpting new heads for the saurus that better match the artworks, as well as my own teradons and then paint these models to the best of my abilities, taking my time and using all the experience I gathered since my early days.

Now I have quite a few lizardmen sprues and three unfinished teradon greens lying around ;)

@Mr.Esty: Thanks mate. The leaves are green stuff and I tell you that I got fricking tired of sculpting these small leaves.

Oh and here is a WIP picture of the base, because I don´t think one could spot this little fellow on the other picture:
    WIP+Lost+Temple+03.06.2010.jpg

Greetz, the Maniac

6. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Good work. I wouldn't mind seeing a how to article on that base. Looks good.

7. Mr.Esty
    Saurus

Mr.Esty New Member

(I've added your blog to my blog-roll, hope you don't mind)

8. WorkbenchManiac
    Skink

@ Mr Esty: I appreciate that and have taken the libety to respond in kind :D

@ Arli: If I do more bases in the same design (as I am sorely tempted to do), I´ll make a tutorial with accompanying pictures, but for now a rough description of the process has to suffice.

1. Draw the floor ornaments on a piece of paper.

2. Apply sulpting clay to the base and smoothen the surface. I use milliput for this step, which dissolves in water and thus can be easily smoothed with a wet thumb. Just don´t get it too wet.
    Another bonus is that milliput cures much harder and more brittle than green stuff, which makes it easier to sand, scrape or chip, if one wishes to have the floor appear damaged.

3. copy the design of the floor from the sketch to the clay. This is the most difficult step, as you have to hurry to be done before the clay sets and you cant use a ruler for straight lines.

4. After the clay cured add damage to the floor, little cracks, broken parts etc.

5. Glue sand onto some patches, especially the broken areas of the floor to show that the temple city has been lost for ages and is decaying.

6. Break out your modelling clay again and sculpt vines, farns and other plants as you see fit. I used green stuff and ProCreate, which is similar to green stuff, but less sticky. ProCreate does take much much longer to cure, though, which can be a boon or a curse, depending how you look at it.

Greetz, the Maniac

9. WorkbenchManiac
    Skink

First I´d like to apologize in advance for double posting.

I have started work on the first 25x25mm bases in the lost temple design.

WIP+Lost+Temple+25x25+01.08.2010.jpg

You see the small sketch of the teradon pictogram I did and the base coated in clay, followed by a picture of the rough sculpts of the bases.

After curing I sanded them down and I washed them in clear water to remove the dust.

Next up I´ll add the damage and then the vines etc.

Let me know what you think!

Greetz, the Maniac

10. Elmquasmash
    Razordon

Elmquasmash New Member

Wow, that stuff looks pretty awesome! :D You're doing a very nice job! Have you thought of using your sketches as a stencil? You put the drawing over the clay and then follow the lines over the clay with a tool so that way the lines are in there already and you just have to make them deeper. I don't know if I'm explaining this very well...

11. WorkbenchManiac
    Skink

@ Elmsquash: Thanks mate!

Simply tracing the sketch over the clay does not work to well, the clay sticks to the paper, and removing the paper warps the designs.

I do it similarly, using a needle to prick the outlines roughly through the sketch into the clay. This avoids the sticking issue and works fairly well. It´s the same basic idea though.

The next two bases are semi-done Still lacking the vines etc.

WIP+Lost+Temple+25x25+06.08.2010.jpg

Let me know what you think. If anyone has ideas for further designs, I´d love to hear/see them!

Greetz, the Maniac

12. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Those look great. :D
    what kind of clay are you using ?

13. Elmquasmash
    Razordon

Elmquasmash New Member

Ahhhh yeah, sticking paper would be a problem.. I wonder if wax paper would still have the same problem? But pricking wholes through the drawing into the clay works as well :) Good idea!

My personal idea that I wold love to try is taking the actual Aztec sun/calendar for a ruin design seeing as our army is based on the Aztecs and dinosaurs :D It looks like this:

You could also do a smaller version of it and just do the middle as the larger one is a little intricate (that's the biggest understatement of the day ;) ) :

AztecCalendarReplicaGreenBlackGoldBlueGemsBig.JPG

Warden likes this.
  14. WorkbenchManiac
    Skink

@ N810: Cheers! For the floor I use Milliput, once cured it is hard and brittle and can easily be sanded and carved, making it a good clay for stonework, but not so much for sculpting on models.

@ Elmquasmash: Half the fun is coming up with solutions like this, isn´t it?

And dude, that is a sweet idea, if I may so :D

Really, I was wondering what to put on the 50x50mm base, and that is just fantastic. I have some rough sketches done already, and maybe I´ll even post a WIP over the weekend.

Thanks mate!

Greetz, the Maniac

15. Elmquasmash
    Razordon

Elmquasmash New Member

Awesome! I can't wait to see it :D I've been wanting to do it for the oldblood conversion that i'm doing so it'll be awesome to see something similar!

16. WorkbenchManiac
    Skink

WIP+Lost+Temple+50x50+08.08.2010.jpg

VERY heavily WIP, needs more sanding, the lines need more carving etc....
    But it is late, I am beat and off to get some sleep, yet I still wanted to post this, as I am quite pleased with how it came out.

The upper right corner will sport some vegetation, covering the unsightly blemish. Sculpting the pattern took quite long, and the clay was almost dry when I came around to that spot.

Anyway, feedback and criticisms are welcome as always. And if someone has more suggestions as awesome as this last one, I´d be thrilled to hear them, there are still 20x20 and 40x40 to do.

Greetz, the tired Maniac

17. Elmquasmash
    Razordon

Elmquasmash New Member

That looks awesome! :D Seriously man, nice work! I can't wait to see what it looks like all nice and finished and with something on top of it :)

18. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Thats going to be an amazing base for a model, fantastic work!

19. WorkbenchManiac
    Skink

Cheers guys!

I finished carving the floor pattern and sanding the base down.

WIP+Lost+Temple+50x50+08.08.2010+2.jpg

Greetz, the Maniac

Warden likes this.
  20. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Excelent work man,
    these are going to be some awesome bases. :D