1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost Temple Bases and Carnosaur from ManicWorkbench

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by WorkbenchManiac, Jul 29, 2010.

1. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Mate its looking awesome, great work! I'm definitely very keen to see it finished.

2. WorkbenchManiac
    Skink

WorkbenchManiac New Member

Cheers Strewart! (by the way, are you the same strewart over on warseer? I´d assume so, but I keep wondering).

I got more workdone on the tyrannosaurs head and neck:
    WIP+Trex+24.09.2010.jpg

Still WIP, but the features are coming together.

Not much to write about, so I´ll be back to sculpting. Just wanted to share my enthusiasm :D

Greetz, the Maniac

3. Larinus
    Chameleon Skink

Larinus New Member

It's going to look great, mate. I can just imagine a beautifully sculpted gameboard with a host of Saurus Warriors surrounding a massive Carnosaur.

One question, are you going to put a rider on it?

4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Any thoughts on adding some Lizardmen style armor to him ?

5. WorkbenchManiac
    Skink

I do not intend to put any armour or deco directly on the Tyrannosaurus itself, but I am planning to do some "upgrade-armor" with fitting parts to put on him. If I get this model cast it would be a shame to not have the option of having it without the lizardmen-stuff. A friend of mine already talks about having his Death Korp of Krieg riding on dinosaurs... :D

The rider is another thing. I want to have one, but I´m still kicking ideas around. I could sculpt one myself, but I don´t want to copy GW´s style. I think it could be a great idea to have a harness on the rex, that allows the saddle of a cold one rider to be fitted on it. This way it would be very easy to customize the rider.
    But I´m open for and would appreciate any suggestions.

6. Rokanos
    Kroxigor

Rokanos Well-Known Member

I totally want to buy a cast of that rex.. :jawdrop:

and i'd use it in every game i could...even though :beaver: is likely to happen D:

I can't wait to see this thing fully finished!

7. WorkbenchManiac
    Skink

@ Rokanos: Thanks, I appreciate the enthusiasm.

Quick Update:

WIP+Trex+26.09.2010.jpg

The basic proportions are now done. I fleshed out the feet, and tinkered with neck, spine and pelvis.
    Now I´ll work on the detail of the skin.

I also included a comparison with two of Reaper´s dinosaurs, a Carnotaurus and a Velociraptor. I figured now would be a good time, since the basic silhouette of this beast is not likely to change any more.

Hope you like it.

Greetz, the Maniac

8. Tycko_D
    Skink

Tycko_D New Member

Wow truly amazing!! This is the stage where you wouldn´t think you could make it any better :O

It looks really good!

9. WorkbenchManiac
    Skink

Thanks Tycko_D!

I can always try!

Case in point: Update

WIP+Trex+30.09.2010.jpg

The skin is still WIP, it takes forever to detail such a large model. Every wrinkle, every line is sculpted one by one and there is soo much surface...

Anyway, enough undeserved selfpity. I want to convey a sense of mass and weigth with the leathery skin texture, a thick wrinkly hide on a 6 ton apex predator.

Let me know what you think!

Greetz, the Maniac

10. Rokanos
    Kroxigor

Rokanos Well-Known Member

This carny so far has done the following: :chicken: (it is the smiley face...and the chicken is my mind)

It is beyond epic already, and every time you post it just looks more and more insanely good.

I wish I could sculpt even a snow man, let alone something like you have going here.

My hat is off to you...and you can keep it, because well...the :chicken: didnt leave much of a head to cover :D

Seriously though...I love it!

11. Chahlie
    Cold One

Chahlie New Member

I think that the Carnosaur is brilliant! But if I could offer some constructive criticism, it's start to look a lot like some t-rex toy you could buy in a store. I would really recommend a saddle or some armor, just so people will know you didn't just buy a souvenir from a museum and stick a lizardman on it.

12. Eternity_Warden
    Terradon

Eternity_Warden New Member

I am in awe. Incredible work!!!

13. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Looking better and better every update, great work!

Yeah thats me. I haven't been around in the last week with uni games though.

14. WorkbenchManiac
    Skink

@ Rokanos: Cheers mate! And just try yourself on sculpting, I have started without any former experience a year ago. It´s ll practice and patience...

@ Chahlie: Thanks! There will be armor, decoration, a rider and so on, but I intend to have that as seperate pieces, because I want to keep the option of a "naked" rex.
    After all, I primarily sculpted this model because I wanted to see if I could (and because I like dinosaurs), and gaming with it is only the cherry on top.

@ Eternity Warden & Strewart: Thanks!

I am currently putting the finishing touches on the Tyrannosaurus model and should be done next week. It could have been finished already, but I have been busy organizing wargaming tournaments and planning a spontaneous (we had the idea on tuesday) roadtrip to Nottingham. I swear I phoned half of the UK to find a place to stay, probably amusing everyone with my horrific German accent. :D

In addition I have been writing e-mails to various companies looking for a casting service for my Rex. I have found a company to produce my tyrannosaurus, which means high quality casting instead of me improvising in my living room. It is all very exciting!

Greetz, the Maniac

15. WorkbenchManiac
    Skink

I´ve been busy with sculpting non-lizardmen related stuff (and organizing the first Kings of War tournament- great game, check it out!), but I now have something to share here again:

Lost%2BTemple%2BBase%2B50x50mm%2Bpainted%2B17.11.2010.jpg

An iguana!

Because small critters are fun.

And since I had to do another mould for the 25mm bases (so I´m able to cast more bases quicker), I moulded the iguana as well.

I´ll be doing 40mm bases this week, and I already started work on a giant cobra (don´t ask :D)
    I intend to do and mould more little critters, and maybe plants or pieces of ruins to give more variability to my bases.

Cheers, the Maniac

16. Chahlie
    Cold One

Chahlie New Member

How did you make that iguana? It's wonderful!

17. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

...*speechless*...

18. WorkbenchManiac
    Skink

Thanks. guys!

I sculpted the iguana out of green and brown stuff.

19. Chahlie
    Cold One

Chahlie New Member

Sorry if I'm ignorant, but what is brown stuff? I know all about green stuff and blue stuff, and grey stuff, but what is brown stuff?

20. WorkbenchManiac
    Skink

es_215_Brown.jpg

Brown stuff is similar to green stuff, but cures much harder. While cured green stuff has some plasticity to it, brown stuff is hard and brittle. This makes brown stuff the putty of choice for hard edges, like in armour.

The iguana however has brown stuff on it, because I had some spare mixed brown stuff, and I did not want it to go to waste.