1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Lunch? Eat your greens - My Force for Orcs/Goblins

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by Lizards of Renown, Feb 9, 2020.

1. airjamy
    Terradon

airjamy Well-Known Member

Well have'nt we all been there, overthinking 8th because of a lack of local opponents. I would say that that is around 95% of my interaction with Warhammer nowadays XD.

I think Scalanex is right though that you are overthinking it, High Magic is IMHO never bad, even if you just consider the swapping out spells stuff, and Walk between Worlds and Fiery Convocation are generally just great, can't go wrong with the lore.

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  2. Lizards of Renown
    Skink Chief

Lizards of Renown Well-Known Member

Fair enough. Thanks @Scalenex @airjamy

Will stick with HM as the toolbox lore then.

airjamy likes this.
  3. Lizards of Renown
    Skink Chief

Having tinkered a LOT with the list, I have come up with the following. Any advice is welcome (although I may play the list anyways just for kicks ;)):

Right, so basic game plan is hold a solid center with the Saurus/OB units, cover one flank with Salamanders/Chamo Skinks, try to redirect charges/force charges with the Skink Cohorts (or sacrifice to draw out fanatics), use Chamo Skinks to neutralize Mangler Squigs and potentially Fanatics, use both Stegs on one side to break the flank followed by the M5 TG unit with Slann as a deathstar to charge flank, then swing in to the middle.

All combat units cause Fear/Terror and Salamanders cause panic tests on shooting so as to force as many leadership tests as possible.

Obviously plan will change on the fly depending on how he deploys, but I'm fairly confident that I have my bases covered to deal with what he brings to the table.

Slann: (High Magic) Becalming Cogitation, Harmonic Convergence, Channeling Staff, BSB, Skavenpelt Banner‎
    OB: Armour of Destiny, GW, CO
    OB: Talisman of Preservation, GW, CO

1 x Skink Priest

2 x 28 Saurus, SB, M
    2 x 10 Skinks

1 x 26 Temple Guard, SB, M, Banner of Swiftness
    1 x Revered Guardian, Shrieking Blade
    4 x 5 Chamo Skinks

2 x Ancient Stegadons (Giant Blowpipes)
    2 x Salamander

:D

Should be fun to play if nothing else.

EDIT: hopefully a bunch of people are alerted to this thread being updated, but also would like @Imrahil, @ChapterAquila92

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    ASSASSIN_NR_1 and Imrahil like this.
  4. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

An O&G general is never required to send a Fanatic into his own forces. They just have to launch the Fanatic when an enemy unit is within 8 inches.

I have used Chameleon Skinks and Terradon riders to trigger early releases of Goblin Fanatics hoping they would target the Chameleon Skinks or Terradons in the general direction of their support units only to find that he launches the Goblin Fanatics the opposite direction into an empty part of the battlefield.

You see, the O&G player gets to decide which part of the unit the Fanatics launch from and which direction they go the first round.

It's still a win for their opponent because launching a Fanatic into an empty portion of the field is better than launching into your Temple Guard, but it's not nearly as satisfying as sending it into a unit of goblin archers would be.

Your list is solid btw. Taking the Skavenpelt Banner is a little unorthodox but I cannot think any compelling reason not to do it other than I really love the Banner of Eternal Flame (as a troll killer). Though my usual opponents know I like that banner so they tend to give their general the Firebane gem....

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  5. Lizards of Renown
    Skink Chief

Thanks a lot.

I think the Skavenpelt Banner won't end up doing what I think it will, but I still love the idea of 3 S5 attacks per TG with PF.

There is nothing in the rules for the item saying that it never loses it's frenzy, so if it ends up losing combat theoretically I lose the ability...

Any thoughts on that?

6. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

As far as I know, your interpretation is correct. There is nothing in the wording of the magic item to suggest that it's special Frenzy.

7. Lizards of Renown
    Skink Chief

Yeah... I thought so. (Sigh) Disappointing. If it was like the Carnosaur Blood Frenzy then THAT would be a magic item. Ah well.