Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by m0gstar, Jan 26, 2017.
Thanks guys. It was a real pain to do in such a small model!!
But worth it?
I dunno! I gave it away to my friend for Christmas that plays dwarves
Been a bit delayed, but figured I'd post up my meager progress! Sorry for the crummy photos, my work light does a lot to alter the colors and isnt very bright so there are a lot of shadows and hard to focus, its not a fancy one.
I decided to call it a day on the Cold Ones, so have some base accents to put on and they will be done.
Also finished up the Saurus Oldblood on foot as well as the Skink Chiefy.
Painted up a couple of little blot toad replacements, since I purchased my rippers online and they didn't come with them.
Also posting up a WIP of my custom Balewind Vortex. Figured I'd take a quick break from the units try mess around and practice some airbrushing where it doesnt matter as much. Hoping to paint it as a cosmic theme on the sides with some glowy celestial water effects on the base etc. I am undecided as to filling in the spiral with something, but cant figure out what . Perhaps you all have some ideas?
Base is made from polystyrene (obviously) and is 6" in diameter to accurately reflect the 3" no-go zone from the Balewind. The spiral was from a cheap christmas tree ornament thing I got at Wal-Mart for like 75% off (like $0.50). The flame looking sides and main body of the top is from bowling trophy I found at a thrift store, the floor of the main body is a recycled movement tray, and the orb on pedestal was from Hobby Lobby for like a buck.
That vortex looks promising! Really looking forward to seeing it finished!
And your bloat toad replacements... they aren't made of chocolate, are they? Got some chocolate frogs for my daughter last year for Easter, that looked nearly the same... only with crowns...
Good job all the way!
Nice. No the toads came from some little fairytail garden type thing. I think they are made from a plaster or something .
Looking great so far, the Vortex, could you place a battery operated fan facing upwards and have coloured ribbon blowing around, just an idea for you if your feeling like a challenge.
I like how you did the feathers on your skink chief. The toadies are a nice addition too!
Here is some more stuff that has been done in the past. I will be working on just basing some Mordheim terrain for a friend, so I may or may not post those!
Stegadons - The stegadon that I painted before and posted was all done with a brush. These two were done with an airbrush in about an hour total, not including the horns etc, which I tried some different techniques on.
Skeletons - I bought a huge lot of skeletons from some guy on eBay with a friend for Christmas for our other friend that plays death. The lot came with 92 skeletons, so I created 8 more to even it out to 100.
Dwarves - I painted up a unit of dwarf warriors which I included in the gift to my Duardin friend along with the LED flame cannon that I posted earlier.
Trees - Trees were made from a "Gutter brush" cut down and shaped, and inserted into a trunk made from air drying crafting clay and then painted. I made about 12 of these to create our own Sylvaneth wildwoods.
Pond - Pond has a few WIP pics along with it for anyone wondering how it was made. Was MDF board in a few layers, then some fish tank rocks and some rocks from outside. Cheap plumber epoxy putty was used to create the actual pond outline, which was then painted using various greens by stippling to create the illusion (hopefully) of underwater foliage. Dock was made with popsicle sticks. Water is the Woodland Scenics blue water.
Just realized the up close photos of the dwarf slayer and crew member were from before they had eyeballs; which they most certainly have. No blind dwarves
Those are great. Love the pond especially.
Finished off the Steg minus the magnetized weapons. This model came prebuilt with a lot of "melting" seemingly from excessive plastic glue. But did what I could with it. In a painting mood lately, so hopefully going to bust out the airbrush and get some more stuff started. Just need to finish off the base on this guy.
Lighting again is abysmal, so I have the flash from my phone on one of the photos. Still looking into artist lighting so that I can get a true read on colors.
The skin of the stegadon looks really good, as does the rest of the model. Nice job on the skink eyes, I am not brave enough to attempt those yet.
Thank you. Stegadon skin was all done with airbrush. Rest of the model, because it came already assembled, was done with regular brush.
Also, first use of the gemstone effects GW technical paints. Not sure how I feel about them. Maybe after varnish I'll try to apply them again
Now that I look at them again, the only thing that jumps out at me is the gems in the front... three different colors looked a bit jarring to me at first glance.
Think I should take it down to two? I just wanted to get a feel for each of them. But hey, I also still have 5 more stegadons
I don't like them, I've got them and tried them, they are easy enough to use and produce a fast method but I prefer the look of a conventional painted gem.
Get yourself a sharpie pen, easy mode
Sharpie pens are pretty good for that. I certainly have one but haven't needed to use it. I did all of the eyes with a Winsor & Newton Series 7 #0.
Some people paint the eyes in all black and then paint in the sclera in around the iris/cornea. I don't do it this way, however, because multiple layers working around something in the center seems illogical to me. Black covers bright color much better than bright colors cover black.