1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making a Gaming Table

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by That1Lizard, May 20, 2017.

1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I think you're selling yourself short. Seems like you've got quite the talent there. Awesome work! Looks great!

Warden, Bowser and That1Lizard like this.
  2. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

How do those cross braces interface with the folding table underneath?? Does it fit within the center bay between them?

Bowser likes this.
  3. That1Lizard
    Skink

That1Lizard Member

No they don't. It just sits on it but I have considered some rubber bumpers or something that would interface with the folding table below.

Bowser likes this.
  4. pendrake
    Skink Priest

So all the weight of the table surface, and whatever's on it, and whoever is leaning on it, is concentrated on the edges of those two cross braces..?

Bowser likes this.
  5. That1Lizard
    Skink

That1Lizard Member

So the table is sitting centered on the folding table below, and because of that the weight on the table is evenly spread and the mass of it is centered in the middle. Also the wood is pretty sturdy, heavy itself and not flimsy at all. The slates are pretty strong.

Bowser likes this.
  6. pendrake
    Skink Priest

What happens if someone pushes downward on one of the narrow ends?

It looks like it will act like a see-saw, with one of those last two slats (cross braces / stiffeners) functioning as a fulcrum.

BTW: Slates

Does the folding table look like this:

[​IMG]
    ...with a waterproof plastic top?

Bowser likes this.
  7. pendrake
    Skink Priest

They sell everything at that Lumber store @Crowsfootback supports are about $12 with tax.

Bowser and Crowsfoot like this.
  8. That1Lizard
    Skink

That1Lizard Member

The folding table underneath does look like that. Yes, the gaming surface does hang over each end about a foot and sure, lean on it and it would tip but nobody seems to lean on it during the couple test games I've done so not really an issue. Besides, there is still more I can do to improve it in the future so if you have any suggestions, please let me know. :D

Also, thanks for the verbage clarification. I know nothing about woodworking so this is all very new to me. Have you already made a table too?

Bowser likes this.
  9. pendrake
    Skink Priest

Not exactly. I bought a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 inch hardwood (White Ash?) plywood and just set it on an old dining room table. I think I paid about $28.53 including tax for it. (But that was in a prior century... :lurking: )

As far as the nomenclature of detail parts of things... ...airplanes are complicated, furniture is much simpler.

Bowser and That1Lizard like this.
  10. pendrake
    Skink Priest

Here is a picture, it looks like this:

[​IMG]
    ...smooth, no knots, both sides. Sources claim a chunk of lumber like this is $138.00 US these days.

That1Lizard and Bowser like this.