1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Mastering Lord Kroak

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by DeathBringer125, Sep 6, 2018.

1. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

DeathBringer125 Well-Known Member

Hey guys I have had a few other forums and one involved Lord Kroak but I thought that it might be a good Idea to make this one to focus on him alone. So my question is with Lord Kroak using balewind vortex and chronomantic cogs (6 spells a turn). What spells should I cast or should I cast and save some for points etc. I love Lord Kroak’s lore and want to traumatize my friends with his glory lol.

2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Summoning is the obvious one. 20+ summoning points a turn means you can put whole armies onto the table.

The problem with spells is: We don't have many different spells to choose from.

3. Deed525
    Stegadon

Deed525 Well-Known Member

And the whole summoning things with cogs/vortex means you have to use a spell in the first two rounds to get them (and hope that they don’t get dispelled) to benefit from them - it’s annoyingly hard to get both out and keep them there - especially as most opponents know it’s a bad idea to let a seraphon with Kroak have them just sat there unchecked :D

4. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

When I play my Lord Kroak I plan to have a skink starpriest to cast it for him and help maintain them

5. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

One of them atleast so that first turn Kroak will get to use 4 spells and then after that 6

6. Deed525
    Stegadon

Just bare in mind that just to pull off the summons (even at 20cp a turn) that combo will cost you;
    450(Kroak) 160(Astrolith) 80(priest) 100(endless spells) for a lovely total of = 690 points

What I now do is simply drop the Astrolith (granted he’s handy in other ways) priest and spells for a return of = 340 points.
    Then simply spend 240 on a carno (two turns worth of cp hoarding (with a little left over) and some razordons for Kroak protection/teleporting onto unsuspecting opponent heroes or objectives (I’m sure you can drum up a few extra points to make those new 2 razordons 4.
    Bare in mind Kroak alone without a bearer or spells generates 26cp in two turns - that’s another carno/Bastiladon or whatever you need.
    Bam you start with a pair of butch units and summon in another (or if the spells are needed you use them and don’t lose out on the heavy units)

Because if your opponent can send in a lot of badass units quickly (ogres or orcs) for example, you will instantly need to be on the defensive - having a skink priest a flag bearer and a cog won’t save you and you will need to sacrifice summoning for magic power, whereas a carno and a batch of razordons will hit back hard leaving Kroak to restore the carno if lost (or being a second into the fray) its a safer bet I think :)

Koriialstraz likes this.
  7. Deed525
    Stegadon

Also you should always have at least 1 engine of the gods near by - free unitsnkf skink 20 at a time...yes please.

8. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

How does Kroak get 26 a turn

9. Deed525
    Stegadon

6x spells at 3cp each + 1 for being a slaan general +1-3 for Astrolith = 26-28cp per round

10. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

Oh ok nice ty

11. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

Wait... 6x3=18 +1 is 19 and + 1-3 is 20-22

Seraphage likes this.
  12. Deed525
    Stegadon

Correct lol - gladnsomeone less tired than me was paying attention ;D

13. Hu3pfka3s3
    Saurus

Hu3pfka3s3 Member

Mastering Lord Kroak? Simple answer.. Dont use him for summoning and go as aggressive as you can with his spells. He is made to kill whole armies, not to summon units, we have normal Slanns for that, and the combo with them is 200 less points.... for just 3cp less.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  14. Dedragon
    Skink

Dedragon New Member

Please correct me, but in the first turn we can´t benefit from an endless spell a slann is casting, because we get conjuring points before the slann decided to cast a spell, or?

15. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

I just got my balewind vortex and cogs today. My plan is to use Kroak and a starpriest Kroak summons balewind starpriest summons cogs. Turn 1 Kroak gets 5 spells (4 spells balewind refunds itself when activated plus one from cogs) I use seraphon teleport ability and get him close and hit them with 3 celestial deliverance, 1 comets call and arcane bolt then I teleport Kroak back.

16. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

Any problems with that? Or will that work.

17. sorkyl
    Jungle Swarm

sorkyl New Member

I mean that does work, but is it really worth the cost of 2 endless spells and a priest for the extra summoning points? If you fail the cast, get unbound or your endless spells get dispelled it just feels bad.

Especially using Kroak instead of a Starmaster, I think you just have too many eggs in one basket here.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  18. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

Kroak with 2 spells and a priest will cost you 630 points, which is more than a quarter of a 2000 pts army. Even if you summon Engine of Gods every turn, starting from 2nd, it will take 3 turns to pay off. Kroak is a poor summoning platform. Before the FAQ he was used as damage dealer, because Celestial Deliverence with Spellportal, Vortex and Astro was insane.

Now is a questionable choice for competitive play, because CD became too hard to cast even with Astro.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  19. IronLizard
    Skink

IronLizard Member

Kroak isn’t optimal as a summoning generator - any buff you can put on Kroak you can put on the Slann, and he’s 190pts less. Basically you’re paying 190pts to get an extra 15 summoning points over a five turn game - that will get you 3 ripperdactyls which are 140pts plus 3 summoning points towards something else, so you may as well just take the Slann and the rippers to begin with.

On the other hand, if you feel like you want to try the high risk/high reward of difficult casting to shove a bunch of mortal wounds up your opponent, and you think you can be manoeuvrable enough to deal with the reduced range, dispelling etc, then Kroak is the man. If I was playing against an army I knew was slow/could not contest the magic phase I might be tempted.

I feel like Slann is reliable but doesn’t have the ‘wow factor’ of dealing a bunch of damage, but Kroak is like relying on a gun that may or may not work when you pull the trigger - I prefer reliable but that’s just me!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  20. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I don't think we should look at Kroak as a summoning tool, use him for this potential damage, buff him to be reliable and let the regular Slann gather points.

Getting all three CD's off is no easy fate. I think points can be better spent.

^^^Says it all really.

Hu3pfka3s3 likes this.