1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monthly Movie Club, February 2019 Glass

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Scalenex, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

We'll try it!

So lets all talk about Glass a sequel to the 2000 movie Unbreakable which can be streamed for $2.99 now.

If no one is interested in Glass (or even if it does), we'll try Alita Battle Angel next.

The director M. Night Shyamalan became famous overnight due to The Sixth Sense. He followed with Unbreakable which was also very good. Then he followed with Signs which was less good. Then he made a bunch of mediocre and subpar movies.

The Last Airbender was an iconic critically and fan-acclaimed television series, but the movie failed on pretty much every level.

But Glass was a good movie. I do not believe that this means Mr. Shyamalan has turned a corner but I will give his future movies a chance now...as long as my movie theater keeps doing $5 Tuesdays.

Glass is good. It's a perfect sequel. Not a perfect movie, that is basically impossible, but a perfect sequel is not impossible.

A perfect sequel must do the following. According to the youtube critic Schaffrilla's production
    1-Expands the Universe in meaningful ways.
    2-Continue the story in a new compelling way.
    3-Expand the theme/introduce new themes.
    4-Leave a positive impact on the franchise.

If there is a problem with this movie, the problem is that the sequel occurs nineteen years after the first one. We have active forumites who weren't alive when Unbreakable came out.

This movie is also right up my alley. I really like super hero movies, and I like deconstructing literary tropes. Both Unbreakable and Glass deconstruct super hero stories.

I also like movies that bend genres. Both these movies blend superhero stories with modern film noir. You have the dark shadowy cinematography and shifting lights common to noir and the cinematography mixes it organically with screen shots that look like comic panes.

I also like the way they mix colors. There are a lot of gray tones like you see in modern noir but the most important characters usually stand out in large crowds by being the only brightly colored characters in the scene. Standing out like...comic book characters.

I also add that Glass is very good because Samuel Jackson and Bruce Willis are very good though there are plenty of bad movies with good actors. At the risk of causing this thread to derail. Samuel Jackson could not save the Star Wars prequels.

2. Scalenex
    Slann

Anyway, other people are willing to comment on Unbreakable and Glass, or I can keep ranting if no one replies in a week or two and people keep like bombing this.

Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.
  3. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

I have not seen Glass, but I'm planning to see Alita.

4. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Diss the Prequel Trilogy at your peril while I'm here - if you want something Star Wars related to diss, diss The Force Awakens because of its cr@p storyline :vomit:

I do agree with this though - the War of the Worlds adaptation with Tom Cruise was atrocious yet I'm enjoying Oblivion that also stars Cruise

5. Scalenex
    Slann

Fair enough, in fact I started this because I was tired of Star Wars discussions dominating the subforum then I brought it up. My bad.

In any event Samuel Jackson is a very talented actor. He rarely says "no" when offered films, so he is in good and bad movies. Samuel Jackson is known for playing crazy screaming characters but he can do more. In Unbreakable and Glass he is calm, methodical, and very charismatic.

He was probably the best part of the movie, but James McAvoy was good too. I didn't realize Glass was a sequel to Unbreakable and Split. Has anyone watched Split? Split sort of came out during the run of moves when I gave up M. Night Shymalan. Is it worth my time? McAvoy's character was the first movie portrayal of a multiple personality character that I found convincing, but I'm not sure if I like it enough for it to carry an entire movie by itself. In Glass the mutliple personality villain was part of an ensemble.

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

[​IMG]

;)

7. Scalenex
    Slann

So no one has actually watched Glass but me and @Scolenex.

He never wants to talk about movies with me :( He hasn't forgiven me for losing that golden ring.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  8. Scolenex
    Ripperdactil

Scolenex Well-Known Member

Hissssss

You have no friends! Nobody likes the movies you like!

9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I'll be up for analysis of Avengers: Endgame when you set it up in April/May.

Alas I have not seen Glass, so I have nothing to contribute. :(

P.S. @Scalenex , pay no attention to @Scolenex , you've got plenty of friends here in Lustria! :)

10. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

We all love you Scalenex, but... I am just not a person who goes to the movies so if a movie isn't on Amazon Prime or BluRay, then I most likely haven't seen it unless it is Star Wars.

11. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

ATM, I could talk about the last "How to train your Dragon"... :p

Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.