1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Moving from square bases to circle ones.

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Seraphage, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

Hello once again guys,

So as you probably already realized, I have a question about how to swap the square bases into circle ones. And I am not referring to the most common based ones.

Is there any thread or place that I can find a list or anything similar for the changes ?

For example I bought a Starseer from my local GW store that's from the previous version. Where can I find the size of its circle base and a place to buy it?
    Same will happen with many units since they have them stocked and I m gonna buy them in really good prices so it really would help me as I wanna play AoS.

Thank you once again,
    Seraphage

2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

AOS can be played with any shape so there's no need to rebase to play.

If you want all your models to look coherent then go for a round base that will allow your model to look good, for instance a skink would not look right on a 40mm round base, use a base that will enhance your models not hinder them, I don't think there is a legal size requirement but I don't play AOS any longer.

3. Freddy25
    Kroxigor

Freddy25 Well-Known Member

The most simple way is to look for the description of the very model in the Games Workshop website. At the end of the description of the miniature there are some indications of the base size!
    I don't know where you could by those bases, but I'm sure a simple visit to Ebay can solve all the problems: just look for "miniature round 32/40/etc mm base" or something similar!

Bowser likes this.
  4. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

If you go to it's description on the GW site it usually tells you base size. Starseer is 50 mm round. You may need to rebase everything to rounds though, as some tournaments will not allow square bases because it changes the number of models you can get into combat in a pile in. Most of the new models have slightly bigger rounds than the squares.

Seraphage likes this.
  5. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Reaper Minis is now doing hard plastic bases in all the sizes and shapes. Not sure how soon they go live in the store.

Seraphage likes this.
  6. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

Thank you very much guys, really appreciating it

Freddy25 likes this.
  7. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

That's actually a grey area, but I think that square bases will be fine (or, at least, I'm sure they actually are):
    - the two next official tournaments (Battle Brothers 10-11 dec, Grand Tournament jan 2017), all require the models to be based, but don't tell nothing about the shape
    - the FAQ explicitly tell that you can play with discontinued models, and all the discontinued models are on square bases.

In the future, who knows?

Bowser likes this.
  8. pendrake
    Skink Priest

Currently, two dozen types available. Here is a handy link. But I know even more are on the way (ovals). The link should continue to work even after the choices expand.

9. benclark
    Saurus

benclark Active Member

I've read that bases don't matter now with ranges being measured from model to model but to me that doesn't make any sense because then it just makes sense that I take my Carnosaur model and put it as far forward on the base as possible, using a stone at the back to counterbalance it just so I can reach whoever I want to. Or making all my celestite spears point as far forwards as possible since they're all longer than the clubs to start with and now have another 2" range on that. I'm assuming this is wrong therefore and that ranges should be measured from bases making the size of base actually matter?

10. Carnikang
    Carnasaur

Carnikang Well-Known Member

Last I saw/heard most people measure from the base anyway as that it much more coherent and less cumbersame than from the foremost tip of the model's weapon/arm/horns/toes.

I like round bases for my Lizards though, they look very nice on them, especially the sauras on 32mm rounds. Fits just right.

Seraphage likes this.
  11. Atelus
    Jungle Swarm

Atelus New Member

So this seems like a problem until you think about it; while you can absolutely do that, measurements like where you can deploy and stuff are also measured from where your model is. The basing at that point doesn't matter, it's the physical location of your model itself. So if you must deploy completely within or completely outside of something, you're measuring from that furthest forward point on the carnosaur. It's just as far back as it would have been, you've just made it more of a pain for yourself by doing very weird basing.

My meta uses base to base measuring, it's just a bit cleaner typically and kind of easier, at least in my experience. And yeah, they say on the GW site what base size they're on, I know for the most part it doesn't matter but I'm a bit ocd about having the base sizes represented on the pictures. Only model I have on a weird base size is my converted skink priest, he's a bit bigger physically than a normal one and I've got him flight based so using that super tiny base for him didn't seem like a good idea :p

Seraphage and Bowser like this.
  12. pendrake
    Skink Priest

Is there a place online where the dimensions of all the new circles and ovals are listed? Particulaly on a Was / Is basis? FREx:

Was.....................................................Is Now
    50x100 Chariot...................................53x105 Oval

Does something like that exist anywhere?
    If it does not; I propose we pool info and construct one.
    N.B: I have no idea if what I created above is correct.

13. benclark
    Saurus

benclark Active Member

Yeah I definitely want models on the right size bases and then using those bases for everything measurement based just makes more sense. Cleaner and no arguments over the model with his spear vertically vs the model with his spear horizontal. I'm going to be making a converted Troglodon as seen elsewhere on this forum but I'm going to leave the tail off so I can make it fit on the correct size base and look like it belongs there, then there can be no argument about what it is, how it functions in the game compared to a full model, etc. Thanks for the reply.

14. Carnikang
    Carnasaur

Troglodon would be on a 120mm oval base. I can't think of anything that might he the 160... Except maybe the everchosen champ.

15. benclark
    Saurus

benclark Active Member

Yup and for $6 for the base and maybe $20 in materials I'll be making myself a new Troglodon. The other advantage of not using the tail is that I get to use it on my Oldblood model since the plan is to also get a Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur too and so I can make the two Carnosaurs that little bit more different too.

Bowser likes this.
  16. Carnikang
    Carnasaur

I actually found that the cold one tail works really well for Old Blood conversion on foot. Don't have any pictures, but it makes the body look pretty thick, as most oldbloods would be.

Bowser and Seraphage like this.
  17. benclark
    Saurus

benclark Active Member

Oh sorry I meant use the Troglodon tail on my Oldbloods Carnosaur, make it stand out that much more not just a different head piece and other small details.

Bowser and Carnikang like this.