1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My first lizardmen (FINISHED! 21/11/2009)

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Aikar, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Aikar
    Saurus

Aikar New Member

Hi everyone! im new to these forums and I recently started painting an army of lizardmen. I always wanted to have an army of these guys and now with the new models I just couldnt resist! so here are my first takes on a saurus unit: ( these pics are around 2 weeks old I progressed a bit more on it and fixed some of the miniatures )

Since i love the official colour scheme I will be following it mostly, but there are still a few differences between my miniatures and GW ones like shields for example or heads.

Tell me what you think!

PD: I will try to update this topic with current unit status soon and so on.

2. Sammy the Squib
    Salamander

Sammy the Squib Member

Re: My first lizardmen

Hi, can you resize large images please else it makes the thread difficult to read, thanks :)

3. Aikar
    Saurus

Aikar New Member

another pic:

I can follow the thread perfectly, i dont see my pictures disrupting it o_O

4. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

Absolutely fine for me, even the larger last one. Very nice and careful painting. I wish now that I had that patience when I first started my lizards too. I have honed my skills on the more special individual models. Once the last of them are done (getting me to 1.5k - hooray!) I will go back and repaint my saurus especially, as they are such great models. Lots more blending and proper scale highlights.

I particularly like your metal highlights, what paints do you use for your metals? Your shields are also particularly excellent.

They only criticism I can make is that I would have definitely have given them spears instead, simply for gameplay reasons!

5. Aikar
    Saurus

Aikar New Member

Hey there thanks for the reply!

Yes I understand you... when I was younger I started in warhammer with an ork army and I just didnt have the patience that I have nowadays... thats the main reason my mini's are far better now.

Metallic parts are done with 50/50 scorched brown, shining gold as base, then highligting with shining gold. After that I apply a devlan mud wash to the darker areas (like around the nails) then i highlight with burnished gold and perfilate/highlight with 50/50 burnished gold , mithril silver as the finishing step. The key to this is using well the devlan mud ink and carefully paint the last lights.

Yes I know that they are more effective attack-wise with spears but I wanted this huge unit (20 saurus) to be a base receptor of enemy charges... and having 1handed+shield gives me +1 to armour salvation in the frontline... also I save 20 points to spend in other things... anyway im probably going to include in the future a 16 saurus unit with spears in my 2k army.

Also this pics are a bit outdated... on my new saurus I improved a bit more my technique and also fixed many mistakes , polished and redid a few areas on some minis... still have to do command group :rolleyes:

6. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

Aaaah, I actually do nearly exactly the same for my metals, except my phone camera is all that I have so it ends up much worse in pictures. I thought maybe you blend up the metal highlights with mithril/skull white, but it's just the good light and camera.

7. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Wow they look fantastic, great work!

I also lack patience and time thus my best work is reserved for characters, units get the short end a bit. Very cool though, really like the highlighting on the shields.

8. Cuachicqueh
    Saurus

Cuachicqueh New Member

Wow amazing work. How do you do the Shields red and the Bony parts? Looks awesome dude. Truly.

9. Aikar
    Saurus

Aikar New Member

Hey there and thanks for the comment!

for the shields I start with scab red and black ink. Then going with mechrite red leaving some areas with the previous base. Then instead of going directly with bordering blazing orange, I apply 2 extra coats. First one with around 70/30 blood red / scab red and then blood red making the effect that you can see on the close-up picture. After that I apply blazing orange to the silouethe of each scale and then bubonic brown to some of the corners. You can see it on the pictures.

Shield bones are done the regular GM way I think but I still dont make it but still nice.

10. Aikar
    Saurus

Aikar New Member

Hey I would like some advice relating bases. I dont make it very good on my lizardmen.... i dont know if its the dry brush that I fail or something but bases look more like mud instead of soil... please if someone that is more experienced at this could give me a little tutorial would be very helpful. Thanks!

11. slannfrog
    Cold One

slannfrog Member

Very well done.
    Looks just like the GW painted ones.
    Great work on the shields.

12. Aikar
    Saurus

Aikar New Member

Update:

There are some new recruits and I decided to take some more pictures! enjoy.

only 5 minis left! I will update again when im finally done... hope you like the results here! im taking a shitload of time for each single miniature :p

13. slannfrog
    Cold One

slannfrog Member

Re: My first lizardmen (updated 11/10/2009)

The new pics look great but I'm not a fan of the basing. It doesn't realistic to me.

Did u "Hard Coat" the mouths? Looks great! I do the same.

14. Aikar
    Saurus

Aikar New Member

Well if you mean the bases itself I know they suck I did them pretty badly... I really need to improve my skills there. The dry brush is completely wrong and I will probably redo those that suck the most.... If you mean the overall scheme , well I just took GW example and tried to do the same. I will also add some little jungle-like bushes to some of them with a more darker green when im done with the painting and maybe even some red mold-like fungus.

I dont know what do you mean by hard coat . What I do on mouth and bones is usual highlighting from kemhri brown to white with some devlan mud wash here and there. :p

15. Kai-Boq
    Skink

Kai-Boq New Member

.......I wish I could paint like that :depressed:

Other than that......HOLY ****! They are so sweet!!! :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

16. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

Give us bigger pictures if you can (or links to bigger pictures). What other armies do you have? Show us pictures or links to them too.

Will you also follow the GW scheme for your skinks etc? What about any CO's, terrdons or Stegadons? What are you planning on getting?

For painting the saurus' flesh, what process do you follow? Basecoat, highlight, wash, highlight?

Attention to detail has really paid off with these models. I'll be sorting out my basing soon so I can't really give advice yet, how do you do yours? Maybe drybrush the sand with darker browns or even go for a gravel look instead.

17. Aikar
    Saurus

Aikar New Member

hey there!

I started on lizardmen this summer and those saurus are all what I have painted. I bought the batallion and I will move onto skinks after im done with saurus wich should be soon. I plan on getting at least 1 EotG and 1 unit of terradons after I painted all the batallion ( dont wanna have more miniatures if i didnt deal with the ones I own first ) and keep upgrading till I have a wide variety of units and form a 2k army.... hopefully by next summer.

I painted a little ~1k orc&gob army back 4-5 years ago when I was younger and didnt touch on warhammer since then... But there is nothing really impressive about those.

I will try to get better pictures and upload them here soon.

Skin tones go from a mix of 50/50 regal blue&hawk turquoise to ice blue in 4 layers (basically same as GW tutorial but putting some ink here and there) and in the face i even put some space wolves grey for a last extent.

Thanks for the basing advice I will keep it in mind. For them I first paint the soil with bestial brown. Then a drybrush layer of bubonic brown and then a last one of bleached bone.

18. Aikar
    Saurus

Aikar New Member

Posting closeups as requested!
    Dumble if you want one of an specific angle please say :p

19. Eternity_Warden
    Terradon

Eternity_Warden New Member

I LOVE the little ridgety line highlights on the sauruses' crests! So detailed :jawdrop: !

20. The Lybithian
    Chameleon Skink

The Lybithian New Member

Superb, superb.

Excellent! Can't wait to see more.