1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My first unit done.

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Tepic, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Tepic
    Skink

Tepic New Member

Also my first attempt at a simple paint job.

2. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Looks pretty good. I have a few issues with the standard, it looks probably not as good as it could be. I think you'd benefit from layering thinner coats of paint together. The Saurus themselves look quite good. I'm guessing you painted them Ice Blue and then applied a wash of Azurmen Blue. Some additional highlights would look real good (eyes, teeth, claws, etc.). The shield looks like some highlights would help as well. Overall, it looks pretty good seeing as how it's your first time painting. I suggest browsing this and other forums and looking at how other people paint their models. You'd be amazed at how much you can learn just from that.

3. Aparach
    Troglodon

Aparach New Member

As asrodrig says, you got a fine start as for your first paintjob. Shades in the depressions between the scales is nice done, but you could realy benefit from an extra highlight layer on that shield and banner. Right now it looks kind of flat and you would whant the most prominent areas to come a bit more out.

Check out a technic called "drybrushing" for a fast and nice result. :)
    Also, if your not already doing it, I would recomend you to tone your colors by mixing them on a pallet of some sort to help you create a bigger varity of shades/highlights. This helps a lot when you whant a color to blend in.

4. giant stegadon
    Saurus

giant stegadon New Member

As someone who is also just starting out (except I'm still grinding through the Skull Pass set & havent even touched my LM), these came out pretty good. To echo the others, I think adding a little water to the paint will help. I think now that you've finished that entire unit you'll get more comfortable in adding in details (mouth, eyes, etc.) & attempting drybrushing & such. Nice though.