1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Lizardmen Army, Conversions, and terrain

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by raptorman, Mar 13, 2010.

1. raptorman
    Skink

raptorman New Member

Hello fellow Lustrians! Ive been colleting and painting my LM collection since last fall and started visiting this website shortly afterwards. So I finally caught up with modeling and painting my army, giving me an opportunity to take some good pics of them. Here is a good chunk of them and I'll be posting more soon!
    My theme when painting was to use the vast array of coloring that the LM can pull off with so many diverse creatures. In the background of most photos are some of my terrain pieces, many of which are custom made.

SkinkAmbush.jpg
    SkinkBraves.jpg

Above are my skink skirmishers and a close up of the 2 braves. The skinks are one of the few models I painted like the WH ones. And almost any important skink in my army has paler skin and a red crest. As for terrain, I painted & used water effects for the swamp, used spray-foam insulation and acrylic paint to make the boulder in back. The palm trees i bought and the other trees were the plastic ones that come with toy animals that I then painted. The bushes are fake flower petals in a washer that I saw some else do.

Warden and Bracnos like this.
  2. raptorman
    Skink

raptorman New Member

SkinksKrox2.jpg
    SkinkCommand3.jpg
    Kroxigor.jpg
    SkinkKrokUnit.jpg

Above are my regular Skinks (the last ones were skirmishers) and my Kroxigor. My Krox are a tad more purple than the WH ones. They used to be all purple, but me and my friend agreed that they looked like Barney, so I gave them a heavy blue wash. Unfortunately, I didnt realize that the store I bought them at had the old and new models, so I accidentally bought an old one. The new ones are so much better, but if I buy more Krox (not any time soon) Ill probably get the smaller old ones and say the big newer one is an ancient Krox (but then again, the big ones are so cool!).
    As for my skink command, the banner is an extra stegadon piece (I think) on a javelin hand and the musician is a blowpipe hand with a saurus drum stick and then a small flat icon at the end to make the trumpet. I also threw an extra bit on there to make it look a little nicer.
    The terrain is the same boulder & forest from before, but I put my river piece in there as well. Me and my friends call it "the amazon". I dont use it too much cause its a little cheesey, but its one of the few larger terrain pieces I have (nearly 2 feet I think).

Warden and Bracnos like this.
  3. raptorman
    Skink

raptorman New Member

SaurusWarriorsatSunTemple.jpg
    SaurusWarriorCommand.jpg
    Gorrok.jpg
    Gorrok-Behind2.jpg
    SaurusWarriorswithGorrok.jpg

For my Saurus Warriors I went with green, the albino SW is Gorrok. He was my first conversion so it was nothing too great, in fact I did him early because I wanted to make sure I could use any bit that I needed for him. His big difference is the armor he has, three small shields with spikes in it, and a strap that goes around him to hold it on. Had a little trouble with using to much glue on this one which killed some detail, but I still think he looks nice for his simplicity. That building in the background is my Sun Temple of Chotec. Just styrofoam packing taped togethor, and painted with acrylic. A little simple, but we had no buildings for Fantasy so it was nice to try it out.

Warden, Jorgik and Bracnos like this.
  4. KonektFor
    Skink

KonektFor New Member

I like your gor-rok model I think he fits well with the description, your saurus warriors look nice but somethings bugging me about them, it may just be the blurryness of the picture.

5. Marsdreamer
    Saurus

Marsdreamer New Member

Cool looking stuff, its always nice to see Lizardmen painted :)

If I may be so bold as to provide some advice, perhaps when you paint again, water down your paints a little, some places look splotchy and thick, obscuring some detail. I you want any advice on how to do that, just ask :bored:

Take it easy

--Mars

6. Aikar
    Saurus

Aikar New Member

Nice thanks for sharing

7. raptorman
    Skink

raptorman New Member

Been pretty busy so I havent been able to post any pics in quite a while. Anyways, heres some more pics for you.

SHP3.jpg
    ColdOneCav.jpg
    Hero-ScarVetChampwithColdOnes.jpg
    SkinkChief.jpg

First are my Salamanders. They are supposed to be a male & female (can you tell which ones which? I cant!), and behind them is kind of a dinosaur graveyard (made with gravel, WAY too much glue, extra aquarium plants, and a few dollar-store dino skeletons.
    Second Pic is the Cold One Cavalry, Third Pic is the Champ and a Scar-Vet. The Scar-Vet also has a banner and rides a Horned One. He is a little more blue to make him stand out, his Horned one is oragne with brown patches to make him look a little more wild. The background is a small castle that i found and painted, and some fences to use as obstacles.
    My last Pic is a pretty simple Skink Chief, use him as a mage sometimes. The little ruined temple is another dollar store find that I painted.

Warden, Jorgik and Bracnos like this.
  8. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Nicely done, you got a lot of great stuff here and some good unique paint schemes. :D

9. Aikar
    Saurus

Aikar New Member

Tons of scenery and lot of imagination, great job!

10. Gor-rok
    Terradon

Gor-rok Member

I'd be proud of an army like that! It has a good, cohesive theme to it. I like your idea of a mated pair of salamanders, with different skin tones for gender. It'd be neat to model a clutch of eggs for them on one of the terrain pieces, perhaps.

I'm also delighted to see my favorite hero well represented. I think he's the best special character we have access to, and love seeing other people's take on him. The skink warrior looks great too with his bird skull helmet- he looks spooky, in a good way.

My compliments for a job well done.

11. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

Wow, absolutely love the different painting ideas and schemes! The amount of terrain you have is great and you can certainly tell you have used that imagination ;-). Absolutely love the Gor-Rok conversion. He looks awesome! Certainly gives me inspiration when I make him someday. Overall a job well done and look forward to seeing more in the future :)

12. MasterSlann
    Cold One

MasterSlann New Member

great looking army! i especially like your gor-rok model and the cold ones!!!

13. raptorman
    Skink

raptorman New Member

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone! Unfortunately have been neglecting the boards as well as my LM lately, partly because of a new Tau army, mostly because I just wanted to wait for the new rule book. Can't wait to get back to seeing my Lizzies more often!

Tetto1.jpg
    Stegadon-Ancient.jpg
    Stegadon-AncientCloseUp.jpg
    Stegadon-SkinkPriestEOTG.jpg
    Stegadon-Regular.jpg
    Stegadon-RegCloseUp.jpg
    Stegadon-SkinkChiefHowdah.jpg
    Stegadons-StormingCastle.jpg

First pic is Tetto, just a skink priest with a chief's head to make him look a little different, the palaquin and staff (and the skink, for that matter) are all things pretty much all from extra Steg bits, easily made left overs.
    The rest are all pics of my Steg with chief & EOTG Steg, pretty basic throughout. I tried to make a distinct age difference between the two, the ancient being more uniformly colored, darker skin, and longer horns.
    I particularly like the last pic of two Steg's charging a Vamp, WOC, what have you castle. If i was that little flying imp guy up there, I would be pretty scared!

Warden and Jorgik like this.
  14. DavidSS
    Skink

DavidSS Member

Great painting. Would you mind telling us which colors you used where on that awesome red salamander(Which I defently think is the male) you got there? ;)

Bracnos likes this.
  15. raptorman
    Skink

raptorman New Member

Re: My Lizardmen Army, Conversions, and terrain *Updated w/SOTEK

This post is the last of my Lizzies (for now anyway...). That Sally was a mix of Citadel Mechrite Red & Citadel Iyanden Darksun. Finally got to play some new addition, Warriors of Chaos annihilated me big time! Our initiative is going to be painful... On the plus side I enjoy magic a lot! Nothing better then turning Knights with 1+ armor & 4+ ward saves into solid gold with NO saves :D TempleGaurd-SnowyGrave2.jpg Slann-WinterTime.jpg Carnosaur5.jpg Carnosaur3.jpg Sotek-WithJungleSwarms2.jpg LMArmy-3.jpg So that's my army to date! The temple guard might be my least favorite, found them tough to paint. The snow terrain is my WOC buddy's, although in reality reptiles would probably have a real tough time in a frozen tundra, it's tough being cold blooded. The Slann & Carnosaur are pretty close to what they show in the book, I just like there coloring. Carnosaur is standing next to a giant statue (toy + jelly jar top = nice statue). And let's not forget Sotek!!! Can anyone guess where this guy is from? He's accompanied with some Jungle Swarms there. I've been meaning to make a rule set for him, maybe Poisonous Attacks, First Strike, Killing Blow, and definitely something extra for tastey Skaven (not that I know anyone who plays them). At the very least, if I took the Lore that let's you turn into a dragon, definitely have to use him! The last pic is my entire army ready for battle, hopefully I'll get some new things soon (mmmm....Terradons.....).

16. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Woah where did you get Sotek from..? :walkingdead:

17. raptorman
    Skink

raptorman New Member

My Sotek model was just an action figure I had laying around for far too long. It's from McFarlane's Conan series and is called Red Dragon. I thought he made a fantastic looking Sotek, he even came with a base (although I put it on a real base as well for uniformity sake). I went to a game at my local store recently, kind of funny how many people thought it was an actual Lizardmen model (although I don't believe any of them were big Warhammer buffs). I guess he must fit in pretty well!

Warden and SlanntaClause like this.
  18. steam
    Skink

steam Member

I really like the army. :)

19. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

SlanntaClause Well-Known Member

Warden and Bowser like this.
  20. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

I was going to ask "Whatsa Sotek (ruleswise)?" Could he be an alternate model for the Bastilodon that releases snakes?

If you invent rules he should lower the LD value of all Skaven models. Across the same radius that a BSB works.

Warden and Bowser like this.