1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Lizardmen Army

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Suppe, May 4, 2009.

1. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

Hi all you lizardmen collectors out there, just wanted to show my first painted Lizardman and would like any feedback (any!)
    dsc00778.jpg
    dsc00779.jpg
    The glued part as promised (I promised in another topic)
    dsc00780.jpg
    dsc00776e.jpg
    The last is not finished

2. SlipKnoT
    Skink

SlipKnoT New Member

Re: My first painted Lizardman

I think u didnt make something right, i cant open those links.

3. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

there.... u should be able to see them now :D

4. Sammy the Squib
    Salamander

Sammy the Squib Member

Looking pretty good atm, don't forget to do a good job on the base :)

5. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

Im trying to find some grass in the mess of the old warhammers... havent been lucky tho i found a jar of RL rocks

6. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Rocks or pebbles work quite well, you may want to check out a hobby shop, like a place that sells model trains. They generally have a wider selection of terrain options and usually at a lower cost then warhammer.

7. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

I'll just go down to the book store... they sell all sorts of stuff (books to) Live RPG, Warhammers etc.

8. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Yeah it looks alright. Looks like you drybrushed him, yes? That is the chalky kinda look across his body. Washes can help reduce that a bit, but in future you might want to try using a bit of a wetter brush, even if you don't try to highlight just selectively run it lightly over the raised areas, this will give you a much more natural feel to the models. And they can still be cleaned up with ink/wash after.

Other than that, looking good.

9. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

Thanks for the advice... I will get an updated picture of it soon since ive made some more details at it, but anyways this is how I did it: I started off with an easy layer of regal blue, then a more detailed layer of hawk torquoise, and finally a layer of ice blue (dry brushed) for the small scales i did a 50/50 mix of hawk turquoise and regal blue, the head fin is painted with Scab Red, all the golden objects with shinning gold. The elf head is first dry brushed with elf flesh, then a very thin layer of bleached bone (making it look a bit more dead), hair colour is sunburst yellow. All claws, spikes (on the back) is painted with bleached bone. I'm waiting to attach his shield since i ran out of chaos black spray and I forgot to spray it.....
    Which wash colour would you advice me to use? never tried washing anything before oh yes and 1 question about that what is the different between ink and washes, and what do you use ink for?

10. strewart
    OldBlood

GW used to make inks, they were a lot darker than washes, tended to head for the crevices more than give an even coverage, and since they were ink based they stained anything and when they dried on the models they looked shiny.

Now GW makes washes, which are water based and have a lot less pigment, they are far more subtle and in many cases you will need to do several coats before you see an effect anywhere near as striking as the inks. Washes also can be used straight from the pot while inks need to be watered down, some of them quite heavily.

I personally prefer the look of inks on lizardmen, and I will definitely be seeking a blue ink from another company when my GW ink runs out, I don't like the asurman blue wash at all. Some of the washes are ok though. I mainly included both since it hasn't been that long since GW switched so many people still have both and I didn't know what you would have, both are for the same thing.

11. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

So what ink or wash do you recommend to my figure?

12. strewart
    OldBlood

Blue ink or asurman blue wash on all the blue areas, devlan mud or 50/50 fleshwash(ink)/black ink on the bone areas and the gold.

13. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

Do you know another company who makes washes/inks? and which ink/wash would you advice me to use on the figure?

14. strewart
    OldBlood

I just suggested ink/washes you could use, from the GW line.

As to other companies, they certainly do exist, I personally have only ever used GW paints. However, right now I am researching and investigating other brands. Coat D'arms is the company that actually originally made the GW paints, so you will find their line is quite similar to GW paints in how they work.

I have heard mixed reviews about Vallejo, some say they are great and some say they rub off easily. Vallejo have several lines, the two you would be interested in are model and game. The model line doesn't contain as much sticking power, so if you don't seal your models after painting and intend to expose them to the rigours of the gaming table then probably look at the game line which, I might add, has been designed to tie in with GW colours and has many very similar names. The pots also contain twice as much paint, cost LESS, are thinner so take up less room and expose less paint to air so they don't dry out, and have eye dropers in the lids so you can dispense the right amount easier. I'm definitely going to look into them, they make inks similar to GWs old ones which is what I am most interested in.

Reaper make a line called the Masterclass which is apparently very good. I think from what I have discovered so far, the paints are all slightly different, if you aren't a master painter you probably won't even notice much difference, and which is the 'best' is really up to personal preference, so do a bit of research and try a few different sorts.

Hope that helps.

15. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

Sorry didnt know there was a page two so I just send it same message a couple of times :p

16. strewart
    OldBlood

All your questions have been answered if you read page two, there is no need to bump the thread unless you have something new to add.

17. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

After having problems posting I can now finally say that I added some new pictures

18. strewart
    OldBlood

Uff.. I think even if you don't want to just use image tags on the forum and show the pictures here, at least give a link to the right page where your new stuff is. I searched around the link in your sig a bit and didn't really find what was meant to be new. You will get much more replies if you show people a bit more clearly where the pics are.

19. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

you mean my webpage?

20. strewart
    OldBlood

Yes. Post actual links.