1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog My Lord Kroak and Other Models

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by DeathBringer125, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Only way to fix it is strip the model I'm afraid, you can never take away a bit of paint but you can always add more.

Lizerd likes this.
  2. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

DeathBringer125 Well-Known Member

Crap. Maybe I could go over the details with a drybrush to bring them out? I also will admit that the lighting for those pics weren’t ideal. Any ideas on if a dry brush would work?

Lizerd likes this.
  3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

It will bring out some detail yes.

Lizerd likes this.
  4. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

So in the future how much water should I add to paints? Like half of the paint size added in water? 1/4th? Also did the stone on the banner come out nice? That was thick but I think since there was no details it was ok.

Lizerd likes this.
  5. Crowsfoot
    Slann

The paint needs to leave the brush smoothly so it's trial and error for the amount of water needed, aim for a consistency that when you draw the brush on a ceramic plate it's slightly opaque, thicker than milk but not by much.

What size brush, quality of brush etc etc can also effect how the paint lays down on the model.

Rule of thumb, buy the best brush you can, Sable is better than synthetic as it holds paint better and takes longer to dry, also the right size brush don't paint large areas with size 00 for instance.

Lizerd likes this.
  6. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

Yeah I should look into a better brush. Do you know any good brands? Also what color should I do he drybrush with for the banner holder?

Lizerd likes this.
  7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Brushes are a personal thing, I use Windsor and Newton series 7 but I have recently tried Escoda reserva which have longer bristles and hold paint well (quite impressed with them) but these are expensive brushes anything from £12 to £20 each

What ever you do don't buy GW sable brushes they are bad, I've tried them and found them very poor.

Ideally you want Kolinsky Sable

Lizerd and Paradoxical Pacifism like this.
  8. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

Ty also what is kolinsky sable? Is it a brush brand? Or a paint color?

Lizerd likes this.
  9. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Kolinsky sable is the bristle material.

Lizerd, LizardWizard and tom ndege like this.
  10. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

The type of bristles on the brush... referring to the quality of the brush and the animal that gave it's fur for the bristles... there are many brands that sell brushes in this quality... though the quality of kolinsky brushes can also varry a lot...

Lizerd and Crowsfoot like this.
  11. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

Short and quickly...

12. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I agree with this - I’ve looked back at models I painted when I was younger and thought ‘urgh, I should’ve covered that splodge of brown on the bone’ or similar. However, I feel the best approach when you feel this way is not to simply ignore it and put your model away, but to take it back to the painting desk and touch it up - that’s what I do periodically with models I painted ages ago - and it’s certainly worth it. My Saurus Cavalry are an example - they were one of my first Lizardman units that I’d bought on holiday with the Lizardmen 7th Edition Army Book, and I’d painted them rather hurriedly in an attempt to finish them as quickly as possible - the Cold Ones had no eye highlights, the different greens for different layers of scales intruded on the layers they weren’t supposed to be on and I don’t even think I had painted the claws or teeth. Several years later I realised this and took them back to the painting table when I had nothing else going on and added those additional details and painted those mistakes, and now they look much better.

Lizerd likes this.
  13. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Are you adding water into your paints? That is easiest way to thin water based acrylics. Otherwise you can use acrylic mediums.

14. Crowsfoot
    Slann

That's my point you can always add more later.

15. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

F3DB05B6-15E5-466D-8AC8-7ABB82345FAD.jpeg Does this look better? I did some dry brushing.

16. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

image.jpg I added some yellow it’s not that noticeable thought. I need to get better colors.

Lizerd and Paradoxical Pacifism like this.
  17. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

18. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

I painted this skink and glued him onto the EotG. Post what you guys think! 4F1DFC1D-100F-4C8C-AF1C-909ED48BA1FA.jpeg F06AB9F7-64D1-4E6A-AB1D-DB09F92A682D.jpeg B32FE605-FE73-40E3-9566-98285D238CF1.jpeg

19. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Better but, (always a but) I reckon your brush is not up to the job, look at his bracelets the red has gone past the edge and on to his skin, this could be your painting skill or the brush.

Every brush should come to a fine tip, cheap brushes do not hold this tip well they spread and usually go into a forked tongue leaving you no control, I suspect this is the case here?

Lizerd likes this.
  20. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

Yeah I definitely need a smaller brush lol. My small brush is like a miniature painters medium lol. And yeah my tiny brush is messed up lol.