1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Need experienced player! Please help me with this one!

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by jevan, Aug 3, 2017.

1. jevan
    Skink

jevan New Member

I am currently fighting a friend in my very first Warhammer game. I have spent the last year buying, assembling, and painting my army. I think it's awesome! I love the Seraphon.
    Here is my question: My Old One on Carnosaur engaged a unit of Storm Vermin and destroyed it down to one model. Right next to him, my Cavalry unit did the same thing, down to one model. I now want to leave those singular skaven and go engage other full units, but somehow I can't find anything that says I can just move away, or charge another unit that is close by. Somehow, one rat is holding up a thousand year old veteran on a massive dinosaur, and next to him, a 5 Seraphon unit on Cold Ones can't run past a single skaven with a halberd. Please help a newbie Seraphon brother! Thank you in advance!
    -Jevan

Captaniser and Freddy25 like this.
  2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

If I recall you can retreat in your movement turn but you cannot attack in the combat phase, that's how we played it any how.

Remember though if he has a unit of say 40 clanrats and you kill 39 the unit is still classed as valid the points are not counted as destroyed better to finish off the unit then move on to the next combat.

jevan, Ecozh and Captaniser like this.
  3. Freddy25
    Kroxigor

Freddy25 Well-Known Member

As @Crowsfoot said, if you have a unit (your carnosaur or your knights in your example) engaged with other units (those rats) your unit must continue to fight until:
    - one of the units in combat is completely destroyed
    OR
    - one of the two units retreats from combat (but remember, if you retreat a unit from combat, that unit can't charge that turn).

So it may happen that just one remaining enemy model locks your stronger unit in combat untill it dies as its comrades did!

One small consideration, by the way:
    remember to do the Battleshock Test for units which suffer casualties.
    It often causes those few remaining (enemy) models to flee in terror, and so your Carnosaur or Knights to freely be able to charge again in the following turn!

Oh, and the carnosaur's Bloodroar ability can help too!

Crowsfoot and Captaniser like this.
  4. jevan
    Skink

jevan New Member

Well thanks guys! It appears that we have been dealing with that situation correctly. They have an army battle standard unit with the standard planted and within range and so they are not subject to Battleshock tests. Otherwise those rats would have fled in terror from the onslaught.

Crowsfoot and Freddy25 like this.
  5. m0gstar
    Temple Guard

m0gstar Well-Known Member

Other option is to try to shoot the clan rats off next turn so that frees up your Carno / knights during the charge phase

6. Freddy25
    Kroxigor

Freddy25 Well-Known Member

Right!
    The Oldblood on Carnosaur has a pretty nice ranged attack which can be handy in these situations.

Crowsfoot, jevan and tom ndege like this.