1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with army colours. (Also hi, I'm new.)

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Snowshark, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Snowshark
    Jungle Swarm

Snowshark New Member

Hey there, I'm new. I've forayed into Warhammer before but last time was just before the recession hit and money was too tight to mention at that time so I had to leave it be. Currently I'm in a much better (and wealthier) position to get working on building an army. I've already snapped up a Codex on the day it came out and I've got some ideas about what I want my army to look like but with limited painting experience I honestly can't say for sure what I want to go with.

I plan to cycle through some of the styles on a set of Saurus since they've got a good balance of everything I'll end up painting in the army (Metal, scales, skin, teeth/bones and the like.)

My thinking is that I want an army that doesn't assault you visually with a swathe of electric-bright colours but rather a more subtle, reptilian colour scheme which can then be offset by the feathers, facepaint, some dappling on the scales perhaps, armour and other features which will be more attention-seeking.

(Please bear in mind I've not had models to really try these schemes out on yet.)

Scheme 1:

I was thinking of a beige skin with light brown scales perhaps? However that may not sit well with the brighter colours of the ornaments and make them look too flashy for the style.

Scheme 2:

A cloudy green for the skin with a darker green for the scales? (This I'm really unsure about as I can't see gold or bronze looking good on this scheme.)

Scheme 3:

We kill the Batman... yeah I'm out of Ideas. Chock it up to inexperience rather than a lack of creativity... please.

I'd really welcome suggestions but at this time I am just worried I'll make a wrong choice and end up changing my mind later throwing money away.

2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum.

As far as color schemes go, have a look around. Google lizards that are close to the schemes you mentioned above to see how those colors look for real. What I usually do is try to pick colors that compliment or contrast well. I use a color wheel to do that.

Look through the painting area as well. There are lots of ideas in there.