1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need ideas for slann conversion

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by strim.uphill, Jan 21, 2012.

1. strim.uphill
    Skink

strim.uphill New Member

Well, hi everybody. As you may know (or not) i'm trying to sculpt different palanquins for my slann, palanquins that have to match the different lores of magic i use. By now i have the common palanquin (the one from GW) and the "lore of live palanquin" (the throne of vines), and i am sculpting the "lore of death palanquin" and have the idea for the "lore of shadow palanquin".

But i am now playing 2 slanns with the lore of light and the lore of beasts, and have no idea how to make them. So, can you guys give me some ideas? I need ideas specially for the "lore of beasts palanquin", as for the lore of light i think i'll go with the common GW model.

Thank you all.

P.S.: I hope you understand my english, as i have it a little rusty at the moment.

2. Phoenixphire
    Jungle Swarm

Phoenixphire New Member

Lore of beasts, maybe you could buy a Minotaur box, and give your Slann horns?

Not the most fantastic idea, but may be something.

And maybe with the lore of Light, whack some skeletons on the base to indicate the effect the spells has one the dead?
    I'm terrible at the ideas, but may give you something to get your own ideas from

3. strim.uphill
    Skink

strim.uphill New Member

They are ok, thanks, but i wanted to keep the slann itself with minor conversions, like repositioning the arms or heads, or giving him a mask or something like that. The ideas i really need/want are for the palanquin itself.

I want my slanns to be slanns, you know what i mean? And all the slanns are the same, created by the Old Ones with a the same slann appearance, but i want the palanquins to show the different magic they have develop.

I imagine the palanquin of the "lore of beasts" slann with the looks of an old shaman hut, but not quite the same, as i also imagined as if the spirits of the jungle animals came from him. I will give him a stick, similar to the one the metal skink priest have, but i wanted that shamanic look to be even greater... But i just don't get the idea to really work, nor i can even imagine it, so that's why i need your help, guys.

For the palanquin of the "lore of light" slann... I don't have the slightest idea how to represent it, though i like your idea, Phoenixphire, a lot, and it has given me the idea of making something like the image of the old "incinerate" Magic The Gathering card, but i need more, i want to convert (or create) the palanquin itself, not just the base on which the palanquin stands.

This is the "incinerate" image i was talking about:

incinerate.jpg

Thanks, and any idea is welcome! As they say, the more, the merrier :D :D :D

4. Phoenixphire
    Jungle Swarm

Phoenixphire New Member

As I said, I didn't think my suggestions were great. but it was something.

Maybe with the beasts one then, you could put some "carvings" of animals on the stonework?

5. Deathfrisbee2000
    Kroxigor

Deathfrisbee2000 New Member

For Lore of Light I can see a crystalline theme. The crystals focus the pure light...

...now I have the image of a Slaan killing demons like a kid killing ants with a magnifying glass.

--DF2K

6. strim.uphill
    Skink

strim.uphill New Member

I like the crystal-themed palanquin... something like Superman's fortress of solitude, with skeletons/demons in it's base, burning and in pain... I like those ideas, thank you both ;) , but it may be quite tricky to sculpt and paint something like that, i'll have to think of how to do it.

Any more?

7. Deathfrisbee2000
    Kroxigor

My personal preference for the base idea for the Light slaan would be just demons. The fluff really focuses on lizzie/demon hatred. With the exception of the weird pirate vampires on the coastal town (can't remember their names off the top of my head) they don't really deal with undead.

--DF2K

8. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

If I were to make a lore of beasts palanquin, I would try and make it out of the extra head from a stegadon kit. I'd paint it all up to be made out of stone and bronze and add some green stuff to turn it into a seat. But that would more be an idea for myself. I myself can't sculpt and it would be a shortcut for me to just modify a model rather than sculpt one from scratch. But I've seen your stuff and I know that's not a shortcut you need to take. But if you are making one for almost every lore, a short cut may not be a bad idea. It's worth throwing out there.

9. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

Hmmm, I like the idea of the shaman hut for the lore of beasts. Maybe you could add some primitve bones necklaces, animal teeth and maybe some severed heads of beastment gors. Better yet, maybe add gors to the back of the palanguin and paint them as "tikis" or statues and maybe have them holding something or just posing, again, as statues.

10. strim.uphill
    Skink

strim.uphill New Member

An idea came just now for the "lore of beasts palanquin"... A wooden floor with giant chicken legs, like the ones from Baba Yaga's hut... What do you think?

This is Baba Yaga's hut:

idw92babayagahut2small.jpg

I like the idea of primitive bones and the totems around the slann, but I'm not going to use gors to represent them... too chaotic for lizardmen imo, but i think i'm gonna use the extra stegadon head... I'll try make a mask from it and see how it looks.

Thanks for the tips, people :) . Any more ideas? For the "lore of light palanquin"? Though i like the idea of crystal, it may not be that easy to implement, so i need more... I'll think of it and i'll let you know if i have more ideas.

11. Deathfrisbee2000
    Kroxigor

I would definitely give the Baba Yaga hut a try. That looks like it would be pretty sweet.

--DF2K

12. Naranek
    Skink

Naranek New Member

For the Light Lore Palanquin, I think a good idea could be placing it over the transparent rod and trying to make with wire / green stuff lightning bolts between the base and the throne. A bit more difficult idea would be to light the rod with a led (and a bit of electronics) under the square base.

For the beast lore one, jungle swarms creeping from the base to the palanquin.

13. Bush_Craft
    Skink

Bush_Craft New Member

I like Naranek's idea. Id's suggest using straightened paperclips to do a sort of "chain link fence" coming up fromt he ground that the palanquin sat on. Once you have the balance right, model some green stuff along the paper clips and paint so it looked like a "lightning fence" was holding it up. I was going to do something similar with lightning arcing between the slann's hands.

Looks like this could work for Life, too. Just model them like branches.

m470196_99110208044_LizardmenSlannMagePriestMain_873x627.jpg

I'm not a big fan of the flimsy plastic rod (is anyone???) and was also considering doing a greenstuff whirlwind the palanquin sat on. Here's a chain one I did:

slann.jpg

Warden likes this.
  14. strim.uphill
    Skink

strim.uphill New Member

Hummmm... I like that idea... But it reminds me too much of "The Three Storms" from "Big trouble in Little China". I'll have to think of it and see if it can be done, as i'm not much of a fan to make lightning made of wire (I tried it a few years back with a skink priest conversion and the results were so awful i had to dump the skink).

Any more? Thank you all

15. Ronisman
    Saurus

Ronisman New Member

Lore of Beasts Palanquin - I'm imagining it being draped in some pelts. Since this is Lustria, I suppose they would be reptillian in nature. Also maybe some extra horn bits such as from the stegadon kit. Here is the thing I really like though: add a whole mess of snakes and lizards and such crawling around on the palanquin amd the base; almost like a jungle swarm around the palanquin model.

Lore of Light - I rather like the crystal idea too. Granted I am not as good with sculpting/modelling/converting as some people are, but still, it seems like making and painting all he crystal formations would be extremely difficult. I was actually thinking if you could get some real quartz crystals or something you could try to just use those without needing paint or anythong but i dunno. Also, I don't know how good you are with object source lighting, but you could try your hand at making the palanquin appear radiant and shining on the base. Instead of crystals you could try to model something like lenses or glass or mirrors. Unfortunately all that stuff seems really, really challenging to pull off to me. Maybe you know some tricks that I don't though!

Warden likes this.
  16. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Well I supose you could make one of clear plaststrut.

17. Deathfrisbee2000
    Kroxigor

I just flashed to a modded palanquin with a little battery and light inside. It would be horribly time consuming work, but think of how AWESOME that would look!

--DF2K

18. Bush_Craft
    Skink

Bush_Craft New Member

+1 to DF2K

19. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

I'm currently converting my own Slann's palanquin to a Light theme. I'm going to use a few brass rods from 3 points on the palanquin tapering to the centre of the base, along with the flight stand. I want it to look like they're brilliant rays of light, powering the levitation of the palanquin, with some burn marks in the terrain behind him. I was thinking about scattering some quartz crystals about the palanquin too.

20. strim.uphill
    Skink

strim.uphill New Member

Wow... I like your ideas a lot, thanks, but i'm afraid i'll have to forget about the battery and the circuits and the light... it's just too much work and i know nothing about how to do it (yeah, i know i could google it, but it's just too much work).

Anyway, i now have a pretty good idea of how i'm gonna do the "lore of beasts palanquin", and i think i know how i'll do the "lore of light palanquin"; i'll go to a mixture of the "pulsing ball of light" idea, the lightnings, the crystals and the demons... and see how it looks in the end.

In order for you to have an idea of what i want it to look, i've found these 2 pictures, so just imagine is something in between but with some lightnings incinerating demons (something like Bush_Craft suggested) :D

techniquesforalightbody.jpg

ed82.jpg

Thank you all ;) , you've helped a lot.