1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Neveroddoreven's New Lizardmen

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by neveroddoreven, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

Thanks a lot, :)

2. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Would love to see your Infinity stuff! I have some Nomads, and got two games under my belt before the Third Edition hit. Haven't had the time to read the new rules :(

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Awesome... can't wait to see it. Your models are always fantastic!

4. woogity
    Cold One

woogity Active Member

have you tried Stillwater?

5. neveroddoreven
    Temple Guard

neveroddoreven Well-Known Member

So this has been a long time coming. I got a Carnosaur for christmas and finished it back in January.

Axl2.jpg

Axl5.jpg

Axl4.jpg

It all came about when I experimented with the spare Carnosaur head I had left over from my Troglodon. I've been outspoken before about my dislike for it. I felt like an apex predator that hunts other dinosaurs needed a bigger bite, so I extended it's jaws in a crocodilian fashion.
    The reins have slipped off the head there. It's not broken though, the rider is removable for storage purposes.

Axl3.jpg

Not much left to say really, other than I don't really like it and it took a long time to paint. I didn't really enjoy painting this one, it felt like work.
    So here's the last Warhammer model I painted, shortly after.

Vartok2.jpg

(Yeah I know it's not a Lizard, but his little rat buddy has a piece of cheese so everything's ok now)

6. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

:artist: < Master class work as always.)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  7. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

That's ridiculous. Gief skillz

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

9. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Wow.
    I even like the rat.

10. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

11. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Very impressive, you have a style which is very much like Duncan Rhodes, very crisp and sharp highlights.

12. neveroddoreven
    Temple Guard

Is Duncan Rhodes the guy that does the tutorial videos on the GW site? If so I'm not a fan, I cringe when I watch those.
    In all fairness though I always recommend them to newbies, and wish they were around when I first started all those years ago.
    I've always aspired to the 'Eavy Metal style, and learned most of what I know from when they did those White Dwarf tutorials. At my best I try to aim to emulate Darren Latham or Anja Wettergren. I had a chance to talk with Anja at one Games Day and she gave me some great tips.

Seraphage likes this.
  13. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Yeah he is the one on the site, he is a prat to watch but he can paint, Mike Mcvie was the main guy when I first started painting and Paul Bonner used to do alot of the white dwarf drawings

14. Altek
    Jungle Swarm

Altek New Member

I'm just getting back into the hobby after a good few years (I mostly just painted the models for fun, and maybe someday I'll be as good a painter as you and half the other posters on the site), and I've always had a similar gripe with the carnosaur having such short jaws, especially the new model. How did you go about lengthening the jaws? Was it just cut + sculpt in the gap areas, or were other parts used?

Crowsfoot likes this.
  15. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

I love that Carnosaur.

16. neveroddoreven
    Temple Guard

Pretty much just that. I used some scrap plastic parts to glue the tips of the jaws and to make a kind of armature to sculpt on to. The front of the bottom jaw was already a separate part, but the upper jaw had to be cut. I made the cut along the rear of the metal plate.

n810 likes this.
  17. Altek
    Jungle Swarm

Altek New Member

Sweet, I'll have to get some practice with green stuff in between now and the nebulous future when I can afford a carnosaur. A bit off-topic, but do you have any basic advice/links to resources regarding sculpting with green stuff or epoxy putty? I was quite young when I was originally into the hobby and mostly just painted already built models for myself or for my brother and his friends, so I have very little knowledge about conversions and the like.

18. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Have seen the thread by Rikard, a fantastic talent with anything green

http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/how-to-sculpt-lizardmen-salamander-finished.13652/

And a thread were he helps you master the art.

http://www.lustria-online.com/threa...green-bring-your-green-stuff-woes-here.16278/

n810 likes this.
  19. bora-boka424
    Saurus

bora-boka424 Active Member

Great job on the tiger stripes on the Carnosaur, looks really good. I love those purple skinks though, especially the terradon rider!!

20. Chicken Lips
    Carnasaur

Chicken Lips Well-Known Member

Wow. Just. Wow.

The Carnosaur is so amazing to look at that, unfortunately, the other stunning areas such as the marbling on the weapon handle, the "swampy" look and feel of the base or even the subtle tones on the Oldblood riding him, are glazed over upon first viewing. Further inspection reveals so many gems!

I love it. Are you going to submit him in a Golden Deamon contest? You should. :spiderman:

BeardyGecko likes this.