1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 40k

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Lord-Marcus, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

I got two games of new 40k today. It was fun, though I lost both games. Partly due to hanging my hive tyrant out without support, partly because I couldn't get to Typhus to kill him. But it was fun.

Ritual and Jorgik like this.
  2. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

OK are neutral.

Ritual likes this.
  3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

They are listed as such in the 8th edition rule book. What type of neutral? Lawful, true or chaotic?

Ritual likes this.
  4. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Given that they are mercenaries & bandits, true neutral I suppose, they don't really uphold any code to be lawfull, but they're also not particularly chaotic and unpredictable and can reliably be bribed.

Ritual and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  5. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Oops my bad. I would say Ogres are Chaotic Neutral along with Greenskins.

Ritual and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  6. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Hooray! Another Tyranid player! You should have bogged down the Chaos Marines with gribblies before getting some Carnifexes and Hive Tyrants in to chase Typhus across the board. Also, bring Tyrant Guard! It is a must in a Tyranid list to give the Hive Tyrant some permanent support and automatic look out Sirs

Ritual and Jorgik like this.
  7. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was a learning game, so I'm not too worried about it. I need to be better at keeping my units mutually supporting each other. The second d game, I experimented with the all MC army again, (i.e. the second coming of Nidzilla). It worked, but my units got isolated and separated, so defeated in detail. Next game, I will probably try broodlord and 20 genestealers.

Ritual likes this.
  8. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

That'll be expensive in points, but trust me, it will hurt the enemy! I have a Broodlord and 15 Genestealers and it generally hurts the enemy quite badly.

Jorgik and Ritual like this.
  9. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

Captaniser Well-Known Member

10. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Literary genius.

Captaniser likes this.
  11. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

Captaniser Well-Known Member

Out there, somewhere, is the single greatest law teacher.

[​IMG]

BTW, the right answear is ´torch Prospero´.

12. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

@Captaniser that is amazing.

I'll be buying the Dark Imperium box tomorrow. Can't wait to get my hands dirty with some Death Guard!

Captaniser, Ritual and Jorgik like this.
  13. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

I hopefully will receive my rulebook tomorrow, so I´m really looking forward to it :D

Captaniser and Ritual like this.
  14. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Is that an actual question from an actual law paper or are my Necron photoreceptors deceiving me?

Jorgik, Captaniser and Ritual like this.
  15. IronLizard
    Skink

IronLizard Member

Played my first game of new 40k tonight; I managed to scrape a really lucky draw, and I can confirm that they've actually managed to make orks worse so that's great news for the 3,000 points of green I have :(

On a positive note the rule set flowed really nicely despite it being the first game of 8th for both me and my opponent.

My advice to a new player whonwants to win games would be to choose a shooty army.

Ritual likes this.
  16. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

I've heard Orks got a pretty raw deal in 8th but I haven't seen any of the Xenos index books yet.

Picked up my Dark Imperium box yesterday and I'm pretty impressed. They've really upped their game on the packaging! My god that box was neat and impressive. I had a mini nerdgasm when I realised I had to break the purity seal to open the part with the models. I think my wife thinks I'm a bit of a weirdo for getting so excited over a damn box!

The models are very impressive at first glance. The Chaos stuff in particular has incredibly fine detail that I've never seen in a GW kit before, let alone a damned starter box! A quick comparison shows that the Plague Marines are a bit taller than my Mk3 and Chaos models and a fair bit bulkier, but I think they'll fit in just fine. I didn't look too hard at the Primaris guys, but they actually seem smaller than I expected, especially the guy in Gravis armour. That Lord of Contagion though, oh my god he is massive. That dude dwarfs every other character model I own by a pretty significant margain. Makes Abaddon look like a chump! I was thinking of picking up Typhus but seeing how huge this guy is I might wait for the new version.

Still on the topic of the models, even the freaking assembly instructions are better! This might be the norm now, but colour coding is really useful (it's been a long time since I built something from the instructions!). I'm still pretty confused about all the Nurgle guys, so these instructions are going to be invaluable I think.

The rulebook itself is quite cool. It's significantly thinner than other editions, but I suppose that's what happens when the rules portion goes from 100+ pages down to like 10. I've resisted the urge to flip to the back and dive into the Advanced rules and am reading it front to back. So far I'm enjoying it, it has the usual "what is warhammer" and "why collect" things, then dives into the organisation and history of the Imperium. Not a whole lot I haven't read already, but the layout and the visuals are really nice. I do miss some of the old Blanche artwork but I think it would look out of place in the new style. The new artwork is pretty amazing, I've seen people ratting on it "oh it's too CGI, it's too clean, it doesn't look like proper art" and I get that art is subjective, but man they've done a lot of good work in this. I also noticed a healthy dose of Primaris marines fighting alongside regular marines, so I'm pretty sure Marines aren't getting squatted any time soon.

I've read the core rules pamphlet and have a pretty good idea of how the game works, and it looks smooth. I'm still not sold on Morale mechanic, vehicles being locked in combat or Psychic phase (love the mechanic, but it needs more oomph) but other than that I'm pretty excited to jump in headfirst.

Time for me to get building and line up a game!

Jorgik, Crowsfoot and Ritual like this.
  17. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

How so? I took a short look at their rules the other night, although I wouldn't claim to be any kind of an expert. The fact that you can use their numbers as their leadership (and in a six inch bubble) is pretty powerful. Also, hordes are pretty powerful and the improvements to vehicles would be helpful to them as well.

IronLizard and Ritual like this.
  18. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Here's my list for tonight.

17 heavy bolters, 3 battle cannons, 1 punisher, 3 manticores, 2 inferno cannons, and an artillery barrage.

Near everything hits on 3+, rerolls 1s or both. Pask doing 29 str 5 hitting on 2+. 3 manticores doing 6d6 str10 shots across the board.

Attached Files:

19. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

I disagree there because I found that GW were really hoping to up Tyranids in the game, according to a post on Warhammer Community. Have a look at this:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/21/warhammer-40000-faction-focus-tyranids/

The artwork does look good, and I am pleased that they brought back the artwork on boxed games after Dark Vengeance in 6th Ed just featured a boring grey box with 'Warhammer 40,000 Dark Vengeance' on it. What really irritates me is the fact that GW are making it more like Fantasy 8th Ed by making all the lore biased heavily towards the 'Imperium vs Chaos' theme, and the boxed game is a good example of that. I was hoping that GW would go back to doing Imperium vs Aliens after Dark Vengeance (which they had the nerve of keeping in 7th Ed) but no they decided to go the boring way and do yet more Imperium vs Chaos stuff. Please forgive me for being really many but I just think good Space Marines vs bad Space Marines is boring. I'm not going to get stuck into 8th until GW release codexes for the alien races, which according to a rumour discussed on Necrontyr Online is not going to be until next year when they will start doing some Ork and Tyranid stuff, perhaps based around the Octarius campaign.

The symptoms you describe are incredibly similar to the feelings I had when I bought Battle For Skull Pass at the age of 10 and properly started Warhammer. Oh the memories...

20. IronLizard
    Skink

IronLizard Member

The ork close combat synergies are amazing, but are totally hamstrung by the fact that you never make it to the assault with any decent sized units intact. Space Marine shooting is filthy now (5 terminators now chucking out 16 bolter shots and 3 assault cannon shots, hitting on 3's and rerolling 1's etc - the rerolling 1's seems to be all over the space marine characters now, my opponent had 3 characters providing this).

Exacerbating this is the fact that orks are an inch slower now. Trucks used to move 12" and boost 12", but now move 12" and boost d6", plus you have to disembark before a truck moves so your opponent will get 3 rounds of shooting before you can get the boys out, and on top of that only 12 boys fit in a truck and a mob had to be minimum 20 before you start getting their main assault bonus. Also if they're in trucks the chances of disembarking them along with the hq's you need to buff them with within their bubble to get the bonuses is highly unlikely.

There are also myriad other problems, but I'm just going to persevere with it and see how it goes - Kermit wasn't kidding when he said it ain't easy being green.

Ritual likes this.