1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 40k

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Lord-Marcus, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

Captaniser Well-Known Member

2. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

i/m super happy the captain is left handed btw.

also, reivers are not nightlords. not at all......*BLAM*

Warden, Aginor and Ritual like this.
  3. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

is it just me or the "heavy bolt pistols" look just like normal boltguns?

:joyful::joyful::joyful:

Captaniser, Aginor and Ritual like this.
  4. IronLizard
    Skink

IronLizard Member

Because clearly what 40k is short of is yet more guys in power armour

5. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Yawn...more good and bad space marines...

How can anyone be hyped up by this nonsense?

Ritual likes this.
  6. IronLizard
    Skink

IronLizard Member

I guess they know their customer base - I reckon at least 75% of players at my local store have some sort of SM in their list

Warden and Ritual like this.
  7. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Sure. There is hardly anything else in 40k.
    Soon in AoS: half of the armies is Stormcast of some sort....

Warden, Captaniser and Ritual like this.
  8. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Let's be honest, we're already there.

Aginor and Captaniser like this.
  9. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

Captaniser Well-Known Member

what are you talking about, look at these miniatures, from polar opposite factions, and say they look simila...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I take that back.

Warden, Jorgik, Ritual and 1 other person like this.
  10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I shall resist.
    [​IMG]

Warden, Ritual and Aginor like this.
  11. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

Been assembling my Death Guard and I'm pretty impressed so far. The guns on the Drone had HORRIBLE mold lines, I think I spent more time cleaning the Drone than it took me to assemble all the characters.

My first game is this weekend. I've been reading the rulebook and am super excited about the narrative missions more than the matched play ones, but I think we're just going to start with the "pamphlet" mission for our first few rounds to get the hang of things.

I've also suffered a horrible case of Legion Wobbles, and have no idea what to do with my enormous amount of unpainted non-Death Guard models.

BeardyGecko, Jorgik, Ritual and 2 others like this.
  12. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

I'm taking Orcs for a trial run tonight! Here's the list...

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Orks) [60 PL, 1003pts] ++

+ HQ [8 PL, 130pts] +

Warboss [4 PL, 68pts]: Big Choppa [9pts], Kustom Shoota [4pts]

Weirdboy [4 PL, 62pts]: 3. Da Jump

+ Troops [30 PL, 450pts] +

Boyz [13 PL, 180pts]: 30x Ork Boy W/ Slugga & Choppa [180pts]

Boyz [13 PL, 180pts]: 30x Ork Boy W/ Slugga & Choppa [180pts]

Gretchin [4 PL, 90pts]: 30x Gretchin [90pts]

+ Elites [7 PL, 170pts] +

Tankbustas [7 PL, 170pts]
    . 10x Tankbusta [170pts]: 10x Rokkit Launcha [120pts]

+ Heavy Support [10 PL, 171pts] +

Killa Kans [10 PL, 171pts]
    . Killa Kan [57pts]: Big Shoota [6pts]

+ Dedicated Transport [5 PL, 82pts] +

Trukk [5 PL, 82pts]: Big Shoota [6pts]

++ Total: [60 PL, 1003pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

IronLizard likes this.
  13. IronLizard
    Skink

IronLizard Member

I'll be intrigued to hear how you get on. This is a solid 1000pts "all purpose" list, at least on paper; I've yet to try my Kans so feedback on how they do would be much appreciated. Also, if you play against anything with multi-shot boltguns (i.e. stormbolter terminators, bikes with twinlinked bolters etc) be prepared for those 30-man boyz mobs to evaporate pretty much as soon as they step within 24" of the enemy. Broadly speaking my experience so far is that success for orks in the new edition is largely determined by what you're playing against and what mission/objective placement.

Crowsfoot and Ritual like this.
  14. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

My game plan is to shoot a unit of Boyz in behind enemy lines to take out heroes/powerful stuff straight off the bat using the weirdboy.

Tankbustas in the Trukk make a move towards anything strong. He played a knight last week and I can see it being there again this week so they're going full in on that.

Second Boyz unit go with the Warboss, advancing first turn to get up the board.

Second turn the Gretchins get launched up the board by the weirdboy, mainly to hold up the midfield and bog stuff down.

Killa Kans just gonna cruise around and do their thing.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  15. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

I got a game in yesterday. Two on two, Orks and my Genestealer Cult against double CSM.

Patriarch
    Primus
    10 Stealers
    10 neophytes with flamer, grenade launcher, and lascannon
    10 acolytes with leader and icon
    10 acolytes with leader and icon
    Chimera
    Leman Russ with battlecannon

The game only lasted two turns before I had to go, but my genestealers hit a squad of berzerkers and ate them alive. Over all, it was fun and I got to teach one of my best friends the game.

BeardyGecko, Aginor and Ritual like this.
  16. Fhanados
    Terradon

Love all the action in this thread!

Got my first game of 8th in on the weekend. Was hoping for 2 games but I had to assemble my Poxwalkers so that took up a heap of gaming time.

Love the game so far. Just played using the contents of the Dark Imperium box and used the basic mission. We rolled the scenario where you get 2 victory points per objective held, then D3 extra for the Warlord kill.

All his infantry formed a blob around his characters except the jetpack guys who were down a flank. I had my Lord in reserve, 10 poxwalkers screening my other Characters and the Plague Marines running alongside. My drone was opposite the Jump marines and another 10 poxwalkers over the other side of the battlefield in a crater holding an objective.

I made a lot of positioning errors that cost me valuable cover bonuses (damn those AP-1 bolters!) and really struggled to hurt his units early on. My Lord teleported in behind a ruin then wound up on a crazy assault, killing 4 marines and wounding the Gravis captain. I also severely underestimated the Jump marines and my drone lost a lot of wounds early on. The game ended with him practically tabling me. All I had was the 10 poxwalkers in a crater.

My MVP was the bell guy. I kept forgetting his buff but he nuked a few guys with an overcharged plasma pistol and donked a Lieutenant to death with his bell in combat while fending off wounds from a lot of enemy models. Babyface psyker came a close second, taking down the Gravis captain with some awesome force weapon damage rolls.

I learned a lot. The main takeaway is that the game is very fluid, and movement is key. Poor positioning can rob you of cover bonuses, expose characters, or put you out of range of aura abilities (which happened a lot for both of us). I love the new "deepstrike" and overcharging plasma weapons. At the moment I feel like the starter box is balanced in favour of the Primaris marines (their shooting is BRUTAL) but I played pretty badly overall so I'll need a few more games to make a final judgement on that.

Captaniser, Aginor and Ritual like this.
  17. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

The Orcs wrecked so much face on Friday. I don't know the names of anything he was playing, so here we go...

He went first, and I lost 4 boyz from shooting, and he took some wounds off the Trukk. Then I opened up the pain.

Tankbusta dudes in the Trukk destroyed his two big shooty robot things and 4 hits went through, killing them both right off the bat. Nice. I edged up my Killa Kanz and threw in some shots, maybe killed one guy. Threw a unit of Boyz up the back, they did 60 shots, then charged and swung their axes 90 times. That's a lot of nice.

Wiped out a whole unit of his guys.

His turn - he killed 4 or so boyz, blew up my Trukk - the Tankbustas all survived but then got shot to absolute shit by the guys waiting for them - wiped out the unit. Didn't matter, had already done enough damage with them to make it worth the points. He had some stalkerish dudes which he had advanced the first turn which he brought back to try and kill some Boyz... He took out another couple, but then got hit back 48 times or something silly, killing most of them.

My next turn - charged in the Killa Kanz which swung and killed another mob, not many hits went through. Threw another unit of boyz up the field who got to shoot his snipers 60 times, then charge another unit for another 90 swings. One guy survived. Other unit of Boyz cleared up the other side of the board.

We called it at this point as time was getting on... He didn't have anything to counter that amount of bodies once they charged.

Captaniser, Fhanados and Aginor like this.
  18. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Agreed. The heresy is strong with this new armor pattern. :greyalien:

Captaniser, Jorgik and Ritual like this.
  19. Fhanados
    Terradon

How's everyone feeling about armies getting individual Codexes (Codices?) for 8th? I was actually really excited that Daemons and Chaos Marines were in the same book again along with the addition of the Renegade Knight, it's pretty disappointing to find out they'll be split up again.

I was hoping that 8th edition would retain the AoS "Grand Alliance" style books (the Indexes) and release individual Codexes expanding on the factions rather than replacing the existing datasheets entirely.

I know the Indexes were a stopgap, but I really was super excited about a "Chaos United" book and this has kinda dampened that excitement.

Wolfwerty33, Captaniser and Ritual like this.
  20. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

I'm actually ok with it, excited even. I want to see the new info they will put into the codices, including the new psychic abilities and command abilities. I'll probably get the CSM book when it drops, as well as the World Eaters. I'm also hoping for different Tyranid hive fleet books, but we'll see if that happens.

Captaniser and Ritual like this.