1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 40k

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Lord-Marcus, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

This man gets it

Bowser likes this.
  2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Same here, if they turn 40k into a space AOS what's the point.

It was very complicated and although I didn't really play it, but what I read was just point and shoot, army with the biggest gun wins sort of game.

Bowser likes this.
  3. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

People who know more than me...

Chaos dudes are in space? Teench and Nurlge and co? The GW website has them in the Start Collecting section for 40k, so I am presuming so.

That might be a smart look for me dipping my toe in, as I can always then use the models in AoS if it's not my thing.

Bowser likes this.
  4. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Yeah the chaos daemons span both.

Ritual likes this.
  5. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Cheeky bastards.

NIGHTBRINGER and Bowser like this.
  6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Exactly, they already have Seraphon for that! ;)

Crowsfoot likes this.
  7. The Red Devil
    Stegadon

The Red Devil Defender of Hexoatl Staff Member

I honestly cant say I am looking forward for this, considering the mess they made out of AoS.

The current 40k rules are not that complicated to start with, and if they do the same "you can bring any model you want to your game" BS with 40k as well, I might be rage quitting burning my armies like some other guys did at AoS :banghead:

Joke aside, I am not sure how they will be able to pull this off without screwing with the game the way it is played today.

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

YES... our fearless leader is telling it as it is! :)

I think their faq mentions that there will be 3 ways to play, just like current AoS.

The Red Devil and Bowser like this.
  9. The Red Devil
    Stegadon

The Red Devil Defender of Hexoatl Staff Member

Yes, I saw that.

Personally I do not like that approach, as it segment the players compared to only have one way to play the game. But I guess we will see, in the end this is only something they do to get coin in their purse, not necessarily to improve the game play.

10. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I haven't found that the 3 ways to play have segmented players. The free play is an easy way to teach new players, and let them get a feel for all of their potential units. The narrative works really well to get a storyline for the armies and changes it up from the hyper competitive matched play. The basic rules remain the same, so tactics can still be discussed no matter which way they are playing.

11. Soxii
    Saurus

Soxii Active Member

Feel quite excited about this myself- might see some armies actually be usable for once (looks at my poor brother who has been collecting 40k orks as his ONE AND ONLY army and having continually lost at his local club for the past 3/4 years in a row, despite me telling him to look into other options... seriously, he has only ever won 1 match and that was at a gw store instead of his local club!)

Zirilian of the Claw and Bowser like this.
  12. Dragonfire
    Cold One

Dragonfire Well-Known Member

I do agree that 7th Ed is really convuluted, but I'm not sure that going the AoS route and overly simplifying things will help. I honestly can't stand the whole "This unit always hits on a 4+, always wounds on a 3+" rule set. It allows for no variation and it really does make some units far superior to others with no reason to take others.

13. TaintedSpud
    Skink

TaintedSpud Active Member

Personally, this is the thing that has me most stoked.

I play Orks in 40k, because I like getting my ass kicked. I usually run a Green Tide, because WAAAAAAAAAUGH!!! of course. And there is nothing more disheartening than going against a list that makes the vast majority of my horde absolutely useless because there is no conceivable way for them to harm the enemy. Case in point, a recent tournament.

I usually go to these things for fun. And the best painted prize. In the first round I went against a list consisting solely of Blood Angles Dreadnoughts and Drop Pods. I only had 3 units (Warboss, Nobz, and Lootaz) consisting of roughly 1/10th of my list, capable of even a chance at hurting his weakest unit. Once they were dead, which was easy because Orks, I had no choice but to forfeit. 6 units of boyz made completely useless. It actually made me quit 40k for a time because I just wasn't enjoying my army anymore.

14. Soxii
    Saurus

Soxii Active Member

@TaintedSpud exactly the same problem with my bro- and he's up against tau and eldar players typically, who pretty much shoot him off the board (which, whilst expected with tau being a shooty army, they're simply too good in some regards) and the orks are just so underwhelming by comparison. (Not to mention the dreaded D-Weapons here and there.) I remember him saying that they had a slightly higher Strength stat in older editions which would have helped a lot previously (I'm not a ork player myself so I'm not entirely sure about it) That and I get a distinct feeling that they might be 'that guy' types of players at his club or the Dice Gods have a particular dislike of him (and me if my rolling in previous games is anything to go by!) At least, by the stories he tells me, he has the best painted army out of all of them, so that's something!

Edit: Note that this is coming from someone who has mainly space marines, but would one day like to collect a fluffy army of Mechanicus, and Craftworld Iyanden/Saim-Hann Eldar and Tau l: (I'm not a power-gamer! I like their fluff! Honest! :p )

15. Dragonfire
    Cold One

Dragonfire Well-Known Member

I've heard it's rough for Orks. But I've struggled against them at times. :/ Maybe because the players I go up against use a lot of terrain to their advantage.

Soxii and Bowser like this.
  16. Ribbit
    Skink

Ribbit Active Member

I'm looking forward to the edition and I hope they make it more like AoS with all of the rules for each model in the same place. I was thinking about getting a maulerfiend for my chaos marines. I thought I'd write some notes out for when I use it in game so I didn't forget to use any of its rules:
    IMG_20170427_214942.jpg
    I think it's a case of special rules bloat and needs a bit of freshening up!

17. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

I've gotta say I'm SUPER excited for 8th edition. I've been playing 40k on and off for almost 17 years now and I've come to thoroughly dislike the current edition of the rules and 8th seems to eliminate most of the things I take issue with. Nested special rules, the obvious durability gap between vehicles using AV and high end monstrous and gargantuan creatures, entirely different unit types with their own suites of different rules for marginally different unit types (jump pack, jet pack, bikes, cavalry and beasts. Get rid of the lot and have the statline reflect the differences!).

The thing I'm probably most excited for though is a "Grand alliance" style book on release (apparently there's 5 of them). I play Chaos and currently to run my army I need my codex, 2 digital-only dataslates (3 if I run Bel'Akor), a supplement, and a campaign book. That's not even going in to Forgeworld units or if I want to summon Daemons or utilise Khorne Daemonkin.

I am somewhat disappointed that recent campaign and supplement rules will be totally invalidated but I can live with that.

Bowser and Jorgik like this.
  18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That's the spirit. I must say that it is simply a brilliant and beautiful game.

Oh wait.... you're referring to 40k. Never mind. :p

;)

Bowser, Jorgik and Fhanados like this.
  19. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

Bowser and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Thank you good sir! :cool:

Bowser likes this.