1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new base I am working on

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by shahryar, May 30, 2011.

1. dictator
    Cold One

dictator New Member

Instead of increasing the height of the base, use the bushes effects and create a bubbling from the ground look. Just a thought. I just like what is happening here and want to see it done.

2. shahryar
    Kroxigor

shahryar Member

quick throw together for a potential place for the water to come from, though they might need abit better of a placement...oh and trees using ghlade guard roots lol

PS one I photoshoped for a general idea

3. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

Looking pretty good so far. Can't wait for the finished product.

Ps: I love woodland scenics products. Absolutely awesome!

4. shahryar
    Kroxigor

shahryar Member

a waterfall and tree test.
    I will probably make the waterfall smaller

5. Tigerlord
    Skink

Tigerlord New Member

It's looking super awesome so far. Can't wait to see it finished!

I do have a question though....as cool and amazing as it all is, doesn't the human face sort of seem out of place for lizardmen? Or do they just happen to be invading into an are where there would be human faces on ruins? Other than that one curiousity, its looking absolutely amazing! I might try to implement some waterfalls into my display board or something, inspired by this!!

6. shahryar
    Kroxigor

shahryar Member

I'm running under the assumption that they could either be A) ruined statues of the old ones or B) ruined statues of the amazons.

7. Tigerlord
    Skink

Tigerlord New Member

They're really cool regardless. Did you make them yourself or get them from somewhere? If it was mentioned in an earlier post I missed it and apologize.

8. shahryar
    Kroxigor

shahryar Member

scibor minatures http://www.sciborminiatures.com/

they have dwarves goblins, "scifi marines"...shoulder pads are really nice

as far as heads they have temple heads, what I am using, egyptian heads, and elven temple heads, and a crap ton of base inserts

next step in the pic brigade a test of water for the bottom. I am not going to flock the water area of the base because I want it to look deep so what I will do is just paint it blue then paint a coat of realisitc water on it.
    here are some 40k bases to test

left is necron abyss right is mordian blue middle is necron abis with certain shalower parts mordian blue.

if I did it this way I was planning on painting the shallower areas as a sortof outline around the rocks and the head and maybe ad some water effects mixed with white for splashes.

9. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

Looking good man. Nice job on the waterfall, keep it up!

10. shahryar
    Kroxigor

shahryar Member

for the good painters out there how would you recommend I mimic this water what colors would be best?

thailand_poster_waterfall.jpg

11. HashBash
    Skink

HashBash New Member

I actually did paint a shroom recently, with a result pretty close to the color of your lake.
    I believe it was a blue basecoat (Marines, or maybe regal) a rather "wet" drybrush of Hawk and then a few light washes of blue and green.

12. shahryar
    Kroxigor

shahryar Member

new update and two questions

First question , see that blackish area between the head and the base edge, I am trying to decide what to do with that, if I should put hawk turquoise there as well because it's sort of a difficult part to put it and the water in hah

and second and slightly unrelated, about to flock my scar vet/oldbloods base and wondering if it needs a wash of badab black first or if it's good enough. basically I am just going to apply gale force 9 dirt flock to the base and have it partially cover the bottom of the head then add some realistic water.

13. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Hmm when you point it out, it does look like there should be water in that black area too... But as you say, hard to reach. You could maybe make it moss?

Second, looks fine without badab black to me.

14. shahryar
    Kroxigor

shahryar Member

thanks to me being off, and my new found hours of over night shift I have had time to work on things.....and prove that I might be insane

ignore ragman he's there because I had to paint something that wasn't green and gray for a few minutes XD

15. AllSeeingSkink
    Temple Guard

AllSeeingSkink Member

16. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

I agree with Strewart in putting some moss on that one black area. As far as the oldblood goes I think he looks fine the way he is.

17. Wolf
    Kroxigor

Wolf Member

Loving it! One suggestion though; maybe make the contract between the normal rock and the mask a little clearer? Because right now it doesn't really stand out, and frankly a piece like that ought to be screaming "Look at me!!"

18. shahryar
    Kroxigor

shahryar Member

not sure how this will work but been worried about how I'd keep the water in one area
    I plant to do a badab black over the rocks which on the test rocks made it look close to how I painted the concrete

one thing I wish I knew about ahead of time was the basing kit becuase it had ferns and vines that would have looked great on the head

newer update and hate bumping added water, didnt glue bushes down yet but placed for an idea.

19. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Its starting to look really cool, great work!

20. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

Coming along nicely