1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New GW Fantasy Naval War Game

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Lord Cedric, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

It does look pretty well-put together from the many pics I have seen on here and other forums. I think I'm going to "hold out" for a possible WHBF ship combat game/models if they ever re-do a Generals Compendium again... even if it's in Warmaster scale (ive heard of Man-O-War, but dont' know much about it, let alone it's scale). I kind of prefer an army-wide fleet as opposed to a single model representative of one. I do like the gaming mat that Dreadfleet comes wth though.

- Lord Cedric

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Sexy. I have heard Dreadfleet is not selling very well, opening weekends in stores (especially Aus) were pretty poor. However, a lot of people would have already preordered so who knows..

Either way, I put in my order with GW UK yesterday, they have already marked it as shipped, should have it in the next few weeks I guess.

3. brokbrok
    Cold One

brokbrok New Member

Arriving tomorrow! Pretty mildly excited! A friend at work who is getting the game is gonna split painting duty with me so we can get it on the board sooner, i'm taking evil.

4. lizardninja
    Temple Guard

lizardninja New Member

I have it, the ten ships are pretty nice and the mat is great. The whole thing is done by cards so if you take damage you would take a damage card and so on, I like it and i think anyone who is still not sure should get it if they like it then keep it, if not then sell it nearer Christmas.

5. Syltaryn
    Saurus

Syltaryn New Member

Just got mine today. I'm pretty impressed with the ships. They've got some fairly intricate detail. I've assembled the two flagships and the terrain so far. You need to be very careful cutting the bits from the sprue as it wouldn't take much to break some of the pieces. I'm not sure how it'll go as a game but I'm going to enjoy assembling the rest and painting everything if nothing else. I'm still not sure how I'm going to store everything though. The terrain and smaller bits will go back in the box without to many problems but the ships are a bit more fragile with all the sails and masts sticking out.

6. strewart
    OldBlood

I got mine today as well. I have to admit, the ships are a bit smaller than I thought they would be. Very well detailed though, quite fiddly. I agree it would be easy to accidentally break pieces... Most of it fits together very tightly with pegs and needs no superglue, which means if you are planning to paint before assembling then DON'T dry fit because you won't be able to get the pieces apart again! :p The October WD is actually very worth it, every ship has a page for a painting guide and a suggestion of which parts to paint before assembly.

I had an idea though... For those who bought it, who would be interested in doing a 'Tale of Dreadfleet' painters thread on the board? We can all set monthly goals and watch each others progress as it builds.
    As a fair guide, I am thinking I would aim to do a ship, auxillery and terrain piece every month for a total of about 10 months to complete. Though I am thinking maybe 1 month could go towards all terrain pieces since they will be painted essentially the same. Anyone interested?

7. Syltaryn
    Saurus

Syltaryn New Member

I agree about the painting guides in White Dwarf. They look pretty awesome. The ghost ship is actually pretty easy to paint the way they describe but in my head I was thinking it'd be pretty hard to do.

As for a 'Tale of Dreadfleet' painters thread, I'd be up for that! I need something to break up the endless swarm of lizards in my painting backlog.

8. lizardninja
    Temple Guard

lizardninja New Member

As for the painting challenge thing I'm not sure I will be able to do it at all because I have my standard grades this year.

9. strewart
    OldBlood

Fair enough, depends on how hard you want to work at that I guess. If we are aiming for about a ship per month, that should really only take a few hours of your time per week. Maybe 20 minutes every couple of days, depending on how you wanted to manage your time. Still, your call.