1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. New Lizardman army book and info

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Rikard, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Dreyer
    Cold One

Dreyer New Member

Skink Gecko riders!

2. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

That's the best idea I've seen for our new book yet, hands down.

3. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

it would be very nice, but i think it wouldn't be very useful: we already have skirmishers, and they are quite fast. We also have a heavy (and overprized) cavalry and a light (and overprized) monstrous cavalry

4. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

This seems to be the most accurate to me too, as for what I would like to see:
    le
    Weapon options on Saurus (together with Spawnings would make for very customizable infantry). As long as the base cost isn't too high, they're gonna be fine.
    Kroxigor S5 base. Easy 'fix', I don't know how their points costs compare to other monstrous infantry, but maybe do something about that.

Improve our cavalry, the cold one riders just don't cut it in this book. Especially since cavalry on the whole has taken a beating with 8th edition. A drastic point drop and the 'mandatory' 1+ armor save for cavalry.
    As for stats, they're ok.
    These guys are one of my favorite units, and unfortunately they lose out vs pretty much any other cavalry.

Salamander and Razordon balanced out. Nerf for the Sala, boost for the 'Don.

As for mini-carnosaurs...I'm not too interested in them, but they seem to be the trend in the new books. As well as a new semi-magical centerpiece. I'm curious to what they can come up with.
    I mean, Cryptors and Demigryphs are used as well as the Luminark/terrorgheist...

But, I'm fine if I have to live with the current book for a while :p.

The Hunted

5. skillfull_dan
    Chameleon Skink

skillfull_dan New Member

I agree with this, its an easy thing for GW to do and it would add a lot of variation ot lizardmen, I really hope for this
    If you compare kroxigor to ironguts, they have identical points and nearly identical stats ( I dont have the books in front of me but I think they trade a point of initiative for a point of leadership). They both have great weapons, the same armor save, attacks, and wounds, one has coldblooded the other has impact hits. The Krox lose out in this comparison only slightly, and no one calls ironguts underpowered. I hope that Krox get S5, but they will probably also go up a few points.

Yeah, point for point they lose to most other cavalry. Plus, every new army book has had some crazy mounstrous cavalry like mournfangs, skullcrushers, chicken knights. I expect this trend to continue with mini-carnosaurs.

6. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Mini-Carnosaurs sound a lot like Cold Ones to me. Not to echo too much, but we already have Monstrous Cavalry in the form of Terradons. Seems unlikely to me that we will be getting 2 Monstrous Cav options in the new book.

That said, they did downgrade Terradon Riders to Warbeasts in the SoM Scroll of Binding.

7. Mahtis
    Cold One

Mahtis New Member

I don't see why we would only have one monstrous cavalry, we are lizardmen so we should have the most monstrous cavalry or at least more than one 'cus of all the possible jungle beasts :p Although beasts come in different size and shape, monstrous cavalry is easier to think of :p Monsters and handlers would be another opinion.

8. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

in my opinion it would be nice to have some forms of long range ranged attacks. For example with the return of the bow skinks

9. vulcan7200
    Jungle Swarm

vulcan7200 New Member

As for brand new models, I would assume we will get a big monster kit. I doubt it'll be an Engine of the God kit, as we already have one. If I had to guess, it'll be that...big...flying...thing. I'm at work and can not remember the name of it now. But that, with a Skink Priest on top of it. Possibly with a variation of either another type of giant flying monster, or perhaps a ground monster variation out of the kit (Not sure how they would work though, assembly wise).

I think Monsterous Cavalry is something we could potentially get, although I think mini Carnosaur riders would be kind of lame. I'd prefer a brand new dinosaur type for that. Cold One Riders will almost have to get a point reduction, and I'm going to HOPE a new plastic kit. Better looking Cold Ones would be nice, with perhaps a variation for a new Cavalry type.

I really hope they finally add in lord level Skink options. They don't have to be amazing, and maybe even cap a lord Priest at level 3 to make sure the Slann is still our top dog wizard. But the options would be nice.

10. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

totally agree. Why dark elves have beautyful cold ones and we have awful ones? An higher level skink priest would be a wonderful option, but GW MUST let them choice between more lores of magic

11. vulcan7200
    Jungle Swarm

vulcan7200 New Member

I think Skinks should have access to ATLEAST Heavens and Beasts. You could try to make an arguement for Light, but I think those are the only ones that could really be justified with them. But that would go a long way to making them more viable. As much as I love Lore of Heavens, it's somewhat limited compared to the other lores of magic. I think even just letting them choose Beasts would make them pop up more.

I wonder if GW would even redesign our Cold One Riders. On one hand, Dark Elves got beautiful mounts when they were redesigned. But ours are already a plastic kit, so they might just leave it at that.

12. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

in my opinion skinks would be nice with almost every lore, but not metal, death and shadow. Seriously, I don't understand why they should know only the heavens lore...
    or gw could make a skink-lore :smug:
    and I really hope they'll change kroak. He was the best wizard in warhammer, and i hope he'll be it again

13. Naranek
    Skink

Naranek New Member

I don't mind (a lot) if Cupped or Becalming costs a bit more. But I would like to see that Slanns could take more than 1 arcane Item. And the would not be the first ones with that possibility [1]

I see some arcane items useful (grubs Diadem, Power Stone...), but in no way they can compare with Cube or Hands.

[1] Well, technically they get "daemonic gifts", not "arcane items" ;)

14. vict0988
    Cold One

vict0988 Member

Well the cold ones are stupid ;) ;)

15. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Our curren cold ones came out with the Lustria Campain book.. (5-1/2 edition?)

16. vict0988
    Cold One

vict0988 Member

Do you know why skink priests only have one lore? Its because they have 3 purposes:
    1 Aid the slaan in casting magic including through them.
    2 Decipher the ancient tablets left behind by the old ones, and using that knowledge in conjunction with their magic to, learn of future events and prevent disasters, or deviation from the plan of the old ones.

As for someone who has been completely forgotten as far as i could read.

Cheaper skink chiefs, i mean goblin bosses cost around 30 points and has a bit of use, it is no fair that we have to pay so much for a choice which has no role on the battlefield, exept in leading 300 point battles and taking the semi-bad stegadon war spear.

Higher leadership on scar-vets and oldbloods, more specifically ld 9 and 10 respectively. Different slaan spawnings with different stats wounds/toughness and also leadership 10 on the 2-3 spawning, im fine with ld 9 on the 4. spawning to reflect their bad temper (ld 9 coldblooded is as bad a temper a giant 2000 year old bloated frog can get :p )

17. rexti
    Skink

rexti New Member

I read the initial part and i was happy.

I read about the sacred spawnings and needed to change my pants. I would litterarily kiss the author if they gave them back to us, were always one of my favorite additions to the lizzies back when they first came out!

As for the rest, all sounds good. Plastic slann would be awesome, and let's hope they make kroxigors and jungle swarms viable again somehow. Now let us hope it all sticks.

18. skillfull_dan
    Chameleon Skink

skillfull_dan New Member

You made me snort while drinking my coffee with that.

19. GCPD
    Bastiladon

GCPD Active Member

Feel I should add that there are no power dice generation items or abilities in the new High Elf book, or any ability to mitigate or ignore miscasts. What does this mean for us? Focused Rumination and Cupped Hands are almost certainly gone.

I'm already revising my list to run a cheap Slann without any of the toys, and using the saved points to upgrade a Scar-Vet to Oldblood ^^

Additionally, the 'honours' system as partially been returned in the availability of new hero and lord types (Loremaster, Sea Helm, Anoited, Maiden Guard). Its possible that rather than having spawning upgrades for heroes, we might get characters long this lines - so a Chosen of Sotek, or whatever, as a new hero choice, rather than giving a Scar-Veteran the Blessing of Sotek.

20. newscales
    Kroxigor

newscales New Member

Warriors of Chaos lost their Infernal Puppet. Ogres gained the Hellheart though, so its up in the air still if we lose it. I think Rumination is going to bite it because of how strong it is.