1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Painting Challenge - April 2012

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by sevensevensare49, Feb 29, 2012.

1. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

Who's up for another painting comp? I'm thinking starting April 1 and going until the end of the month, so there's all March for discussion & preparation.

Open to suggestions of course, but I was thinking of a points goal, rather than a single mini or unit. Say, 300 points? Paint whatever you want in a single army to around the 300 point mark.

2. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Re: New Painting Comp - April 2012

Sounds good to me. I have plenty that can fit in the 300 pt range. 23 Cold One Riders have been sitting around for awhile plus a bunch of Skinks and Saurus that are in need of attention.

I'm planning on getting better at my basing skills this month, so April would be perfect.

3. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Thats an interesting idea, should get a pretty nice variety of models. Given that there were only a couple of entries for the monster one though, do you think its worth going back to a smaller single model to make it easier to finish? Theme could be unit champion, wizard, BSB, general, single model conversion as a few examples.

I don't mind either way, just a suggestion.

4. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

Monsters is a quite specific category though, and tends to be more expensive than the either singles or units so I thinking that may have contributed to the few Monster entries.

I'm hoping the points limit idea A) opens up the possibilities of painting whatever you feel like, B) inspires people to finish something they may have been delaying or put off for some reason, C) could be a great starting point for people either starting the hobby or starting a new army - I think there's at least 500 points in a battalion box and 400+ in the IoB set, and D) is still reasonably cheap for those who want to buy new models & enter. Depends on what you buy of course! but the option is yours.

Thought I'd get it out there early enough that a bit of anticipation builds as well, try and get as much interest and as many entrants as possible.

That's just my thoughts though, if more people are keen for a single mini, unit or whatever, then so be it. I'll be happy to paint anything other than Tyranids after this month is out!

5. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

how about just saying that the competition entry should be a unit at least 10 (and preferably more) models strong? that would get rid of any confusion whether monsters and characters count towards the 300 points :)

6. strewart
    OldBlood

What confusion is there? I thought it was clear enough it ws a 300 point limit, that covers anything and a character or monster would count.

7. AllSeeingSkink
    Temple Guard

AllSeeingSkink Member

I kinda like the idea, but I think you'll have very few people actually carrying through and completing something for the competition if they have to paint a lot of models. Painting the 10 Spider Riders was my limit for the unit competition last year, and that's only, what, 130pts or so.

I'd probably just end up finding some character that's worth 300pts on his lonesome, Bjorn the Fell Handed or Logan Grimnar maybe ;)

8. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

True, I didn't finish the spider riders but it was (for me anyway) an incidental unit in an army I'm probably never going to use. My son loves playing with the spiders though. :) I'm hoping if it's part of an army then people would get more into it, like they're making progress toward an end goal rather than just painting a random mini for the sake of it. As as example though 300 points isn't hard to get to - 5 COC w/ full command and a Sally. 300 points for 9 models total. Or if you're super keen you can go horde with 60 skinks.

But if you're up for painting a 300 point character, then that's all good too! Armies need leaders :)

9. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

My biggest subjestion would be to do what SeBM did. 2 months to complete it. Most of the better painters out there take their time. April-May type.

10. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

I'm trying not to have a long drawn out competition - my suggestion if you want to spend more time on the models is to paint less models. I'm planning on painting 27 Orks. Maybe, I can't make up my mind. Anyone else got any idea of what they'll paint yet?
    Competition is probably the wrong word anyway. Think of it more as a challenge.

11. AllSeeingSkink
    Temple Guard

AllSeeingSkink Member

I can see the logic in limiting it to a month, though to paint 300pts in a month, I think most people will be resorting to painting very expensive models (points wise) or painting at a very low quality (I could probably paint 300pts of my Tyranids in a month, but that's because they're painted simple and don't really look brilliant).

12. strewart
    OldBlood

Make sure you add equipment to your unit to get them to the 300 point mark easier, and avoid cheap core. I will probably look to enter 15 chaos warriors; the way I have equipped them in my army they will be 305 points. 15 models in a month isn't too bad. Otherwise put a hero choice in a unit to eat half the points. If you end up with up to 20 models it should be ok, or 1-2 characters if you want to go all out on them.

But as sevensevens said, its more a challenge than a competition. If you end up with less than 300 points, enter anyway.

Or if people think 300 is too much, it could be dropped to 200 or 250?

13. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

I'm currently working on a tetto'eko conversion. But I dont have too much time to work. So I may not be done in time.

14. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

Looks like dropping the bar to 200 points might gain a bit more interest. Who's up for 200?

15. Moniker
    Kroxigor

Moniker Member

I'm keen either way. At 300 I can submit my Slann.

16. strewart
    OldBlood

I'd give either a go even though my track record for finishing on time is not that great, I have been doing a lot more hobby work in the last month or two so could be much more likely to finish. :)

17. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

well since my last entry in a compition here didn't lead to anything I'm not so keen on entering another one. But I'll guess I could either paint a skrox unit or some of my new dwarfs.

18. Anton_S
    Temple Guard

Anton_S Member

I expect to have Ogres out of the way by April and really get going with the Lizards so 300 points should be easy.

19. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

I'm good with doing 200 points. It's not that many models if you do it right. A command group for Cold One Cavalry comes to 155, so If I throw in a magic standard I can hit 200 with only 3 models. :meh:

20. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

That's pretty much why I started this challenge - since the last comp died off quickly and quietly.

Keep in mind you don't have to paint Lizards, anything goes - as long as you can get at least 200 points done.

that's the spirit! :)