1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. New Player Army Ideas

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by Miyozaki, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Miyozaki
    Skink

Miyozaki New Member

Good morning!

I have been playing with some ideas for a 1500 Point Army and I have come up with the following. Any comments/feedback is appreciated as long as it's constructive.

Lord/General - Slann Mage-Priest
    - Focus of Mystery - Lore of Life
    - The Focused Rumination
    - Higher State of Conciousness

Hero - Chakax

Core:

18 x Saurus Warrior (6x3)
    - Spears
    - Musician
    - Standard Bearer

18 x Saurus Warrior (6x3)
    - Spears
    - Musician
    - Standard Bearer

10 x Skink Skirmishers

Special - 5 x Cold One Cavalry
    - Champion
    - Musician

Totals: 1453

Really sorry to be a pain.

Edits:

1. Removed 2 x Skink Skirmisher, 2 x Saurus Champions and 1 x Skirmisher Brave. Added Cupped Hands of the Ancients.
    2. Replaced Transcendant Healing with Focus of Mystery and replaced Soul of Stone with Higher State of Conciousness.
    3. Edited my Slann to make it fit into a 1500 point army.

2. lizardninja
    Temple Guard

lizardninja New Member

Your not being a pain at all new players are always welcome at this forum (I'm reasonably new to WHFB and i got a warm welcome) firstly cut off two skink skirmishers and brave and then the champs in the saurii. The give the slann Cupped Hands Of The Old Ones

3. Miyozaki
    Skink

Miyozaki New Member

Thank you. I made the suggested changes ^^

4. Xlcontiqu
    Ripperdactil

Xlcontiqu New Member

I would recommend dropping Soul of Stone, you could possibly roll a worse result after all. Which lore is your Slann taking? Transcendant Healing is near useless in 8th ed because you get an armour save or a ward save. Drop that and take Focus of Mystery. If you drop Soul of Stone, I would recommend taking Higher State of Conciousness. All in all the other choices look good. Maybe try to get in another Saurus Cavalry.

I really do not know about Chakax. He is not worth his points, but if you are dead set on using him, go for it.

5. Miyozaki
    Skink

Miyozaki New Member

Someone at GW also told me that he no longer automatically gets to strike first due to a rule change in 8th Ed... I will game test him and if he's bad, I'll replace/drop him.

6. Gyro00
    Jungle Swarm

Gyro00 New Member

Eh? can you put lords in army under 2000pts now? really got to get a copy of the new book

7. Miyozaki
    Skink

Miyozaki New Member

Yeah. The new rule was also in White Dwarf.

8. Miyozaki
    Skink

Miyozaki New Member

Just realised that my list is illegal. My Slann comes to more than 25% of my total points cost, so I need to lose a Discipline or Cupped Hands of the Old Ones. Any thoughts?

I want to take Lore of the Heavens (purely because I hadn't mentioned that previously).

Also, I'm left with 47-53 points which I would like to put into another Cavalry or more Warriors. Any thoughts?

9. Xlcontiqu
    Ripperdactil

Xlcontiqu New Member

I would say Cupped Hands, but then again I usually do not run it so it is more personal opinion. It is a good item, but the Slann can be fine without it.

10. JohnMavrick
    Troglodon

JohnMavrick New Member

If you take Lore of Life (which most people do because it works out well with our Slann) Throne of Vines virtually eliminates the miscast table. So I'd drop Cupped Hands so long as you run Lore of Life.

As to Chakax...he's a waste of points IMHO. His abilities are really only decent in a challenge and if he's in a TG unit. Your not taking TG so I'd drop him and put in two Scar-Vets or an OB.

11. Miyozaki
    Skink

Miyozaki New Member

Thanks for the tweaks so far. It makes sense with Lore of Life... Seems like Cupped hands are off then, but that does give me 47 points to play with.

Boring Info regarding why I'm fielding Chakax below. Feel free to stop reading here.

In regards to Chakax; My friend wanted to play a game called Talisman and told me I should get a special Character to use. I saw Chakax in the Catalogue and instantly liked him. From there, my friend started a Skaven force and talked me into playing Warhammer too... I have read that SC's are largely a waste of points, but I'd like to use him. He's the whole reason I'm playing Lizardmen in the first place.

12. Sao
    Cold One

Sao New Member

Just use the model but as a SV with great weapon and other bits. Otherwise Chakax, is a massive point sink for a meh model (stats wise).

Saurus at low point games will win you the match hands down.

Lloyd

13. Miyozaki
    Skink

Miyozaki New Member

If I make Chakax a Great Weapon SV, should I give him other options, or would this be sufficient?

14. Sao
    Cold One

Sao New Member

Depends. Is he budget or expensive SV. I find cheap SV's help massively in blocks of saurus. However giving him a talisman etc he can become much more dangerous. Really does depend what you want out of him.

Lloyd

15. Miyozaki
    Skink

Miyozaki New Member

My friend fields Skaven. The only things he doesn't have (yet) are the doomwheel and screaming bell.

16. Sao
    Cold One

Sao New Member

Be grateful he doesn't! My local ratman loves using 2 doomwheels. Just say good by to my flank! He is an Example build for using Chakax as a SV;

Scar Vet
    Great Weapon
    Light Armour
    Carnosaur Pendant

This is a cheap SV with 4 Str 7 attacks, 5 after he has inflicted a wound. however he only has a 4+ AS. If you want to make him more surviveable get rid of the light armour and give him Gamblers Armour. Now has a 3+ AS (with a g weapon thats pretty solid) and a 6+ ward. However there are some sweet one handed weapons that make SV pretty nails (eg sword of the hornet, burning blade of chotec). however if your playing skaven mostly this build would be better but deffinately not in WYSIWYG!

Scar Vet
    Light Armour
    Sword of Strife
    Enchanted Sheild

With 6 str 5 attack skaven will just melt against him. And a 2+ AS he is a tought cookie to crack. Just some little ideas.

Lloyd