1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Player looking for some tips

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Billie, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Billie
    Skink

Billie Member

Hey Guys,

I'm sort of new to AoS and miniatures in general. I got the start collecting box about half a year ago and played skirmish most of the time with some friends (Sylvaneth, Stormcast and Khorne bloodbound). I also got a starpriest because he looked cool

I did some conversions with my starterbox so I now have:
    1x Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur
    1x Scar-Vet on Cold One
    7x Saurus Knight
    1x Saurus Sunblood
    1x Astrolith Bearer
    10x Saurus Warriors
    1x Troglodon (swamp monster conversion I saw online, probably here somewere)
    1x Skink Starpriest

Now I'm looking to expand my army but I'm not sure where to start. I'm having a few dilemma's:
    1) I'm not sure if I should buy some more big dinosaurs first, because they are powerfull but I like skirmish a lot and would also fist have more skirmish-legal units because that's what I play most often for the moment.

2) I'm kind of confused with the books right now, because my friend told me there came a lot of new stuff out for Seraphon with the GHB, so do I now need both the GHB AND the battletome? (I have none at the moment)

3) If I would go for a big army instead of skirmish, what would be some good purchases?

Anyhow, thanks in advance and sorry for all the text :)

Billie

Warden likes this.
  2. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

I can't help you much with tactics, but welcome to the forum! Personally, my view is to buy the models you like the most and want to build/paint/play with

3. LeanderAT
    Skink

LeanderAT Member

Welcome!

4. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Welcome!

Yes, you should get the GHB2017 as it is awesome, and yes, there is some stuff in it for us.
    The Battletome is more of a fluff-book except the bataillons in it. Still worth it.

My advice is also to buy and play what you like. A lot of our army got much better with the rule changes, which is good.

So do you like Saurus or maybe want to try Skinks? If it is the latter: Working on units for a Shadowstrike might be worth it, because you can use those flyers and Skinks in Skirmish as well.

If you like Saurus then you might consider buying another Start Collecting box. You can then play a Firelance and you can build the other of the Carnosaur variants. 12 more Warrioirs don't hurt either if you are going for mass Saurus.

Billie likes this.
  5. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Welcome to the forums!

For tactics help check out the Seraphon Tactics sub-forum and the Seraphon Tactica Index!

6. Billie
    Skink

Billie Member

I looked up the shadowstrike and realy like the fact that the flyers can hide when setting up. This combined with chameleon skinks realy sound like some cool tactics because those can also hide, making them a deadly weapon that can't be attacked but that you can place wherever you want when the time is right to strike. So I guess I'll look to get those first I think

Crowsfoot likes this.
  7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Welcome aboard, with the GHB2017 we now have the ability to teleport units so our movement is exceptional and opens so many tactical options, I would start by getting the handbook and then build your force, Shadowstrike is brilliant and the models look cool as well.

Billie likes this.
  8. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

welcome to the mayan space lizards.