1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS New player, new list

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by dinoSTARZ, Feb 20, 2018.

1. dinoSTARZ
    Cold One

dinoSTARZ Active Member

I'm actually trying to have fun more than win nonstop, but I do want a versatile and decent enough army that I can hang with some of the more experienced players and provide good matchups as I learn. Here's what I've currently GOT, I'm hoping that someone can help direct me up to 2,000 points.

Battleline:
    20 Skinks (with boltsplitter and buckler) 120 points
    40 Saurus Warrior (12 clubs, 24 spears, 2 banners, 2 drums) 360 points
    15 Saurus Knights (mostly javelins minus the alphas/drums/banner) 300 points
    Heroes:
    1 Old-blood on Carnosaur (general, so far) 280 points
    1 Skink Star Priest 80 points

Have the parts for, but haven't made, either: Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur (240), a second Old-blood on Carnosaur (280), or a Troglodon (180) which also allows for an Old-Blood on foot (120). I've been leaning Troglodon here for some ranged attack, but I'm also considering adding ranged somewhere else.

So total that's either: 1440 Trog+Old-blood on foot, 1420 with a second Old-blood on Carnosaur, or 1380 with a Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur which leaves 620-560 points to hit the 2K mark.

I like the idea and look of everything. Chameleon skinks, a billion regular skinks, Slann Starpreist, Bastilidon, Temple Guard....so I really don't know where to go from here. I guess I've been leaning Bastilidon but that's very uninformed other than it seeming cool on the warscroll. I've only played one real game thus far (and I luckily smashed the guy without much need for strategy) so I don't have a good understanding of HOW I like to play at this time, so let's just go for best. I don't have to use all the units I already have made, so if I need to pare those back to fit something important, that's okay.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  2. dinoSTARZ
    Cold One

dinoSTARZ Active Member

I should also mention that I bet that the most played race around me is the Stormcast Eternals, and the guy I beat threatened me with bringing the Lord Celestant on Drake model once I get to 2K points!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I would add a Slann and Basilidon, you could also use Terradons/Rippers and maybe a 2/3 Razardons/Sallys and maybe bulk up the skinks.

Loads of ways you could go :)

dinoSTARZ likes this.
  4. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Welcome!

As for your possible unit choices: A Troglodon isn't particularly effective against Stormcast. Its spit attack isn't really reliable or strong, and while he is able to do some good damage if properly buffed he only has a 4+ save.

Temple Guard are hit and miss, I'd say against a mortal wound heavy army (like SCE can be) they are not worth it. In an Eternal Starhost maybe (doesn't solve the mortal wounds problem but at least makes them basically immune against everything else so the enemy has to focus their mortal wounds on them).

I'd go for as many rending ranged attacks and/or wounds as possible I think.... Not quite sure as I don't play strong SCE lists (Drake or something) yet.

dinoSTARZ and Crowsfoot like this.
  5. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Or he could Ally and add a Prime, would that work?

dinoSTARZ likes this.
  6. Aginor
    Slann

Sure! I tend to avoid that because I don't like how cheesy the Celestant-Prime is, but SCE offer some nice units that we can use as allies, especially for ranged support.
    Judicators or Vanguard Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows are nice in that role, and the Celestant-Prime can really screw with enemy army synergies.

In that case I am not sure if he is worth it though, I tend to think that a Bastiladon (40 points cheaper IIRC, good range and rend, and pretty sturdy) can also be an option.

Arawn, dinoSTARZ and Crowsfoot like this.
  7. dinoSTARZ
    Cold One

dinoSTARZ Active Member

Oh, yes I heard about using allies but I don't quite get how it works. You can use 400 points of ANY Order faction or just Stormcasts (and if SCE only, why)? What do I give up, if anything, by doing so?

Sounds like a bastilidon could be great because at least as far as I saw with him against me, he didn't have a way to get behind my lines! Im just worried about that nasty Drake's toughness! Pretty much the only rend attacks I'd even have are from the Bastilidon so hopefully he can mess up the drake before he eats my entire infantry. He also said he will bring Retributors to kill my Carnosaur, but they're pretty slow so I ought to be able to stay away from them.

Should I hold units in reserve and try to summon them near his ranged after he brings his tough guys forward? How many units do you usually hold back?

8. Aginor
    Slann

I usually deploy everything since summoning can be unbound and isn't reliable because of the casting role.

As for the allies, it works this way:
    There is a list below the list of point values for each army in the GHB2017. That list mentions which armies are allied. If you play a Grand Alliance (such as Order) army then you can play everything, otherwise you can only play units of your allegiance (such as Seraphon) and up to 400 points (in a 2K game) of units from armies in your particular allies list.
    So far so good, but unfortunately in our list there are only Stormcast (every army in Order can ally with them and vice versa). So yeah, if you pick Seraphon allegiance (and you usually should because the abilities, traits, and artefacts are good for us) you can use up to 400 points of SCE in your army. They cannot be your general and do not count as battleline though.

9. dinoSTARZ
    Cold One

dinoSTARZ Active Member

What do you guys think about the DREAD SAURIAN? He seems pretty awesome even at 380 points compared to like an old-blood on carno at 280

Crowsfoot likes this.
  10. Aginor
    Slann

He is pretty strong!
    Of course he has a huge bullseye right on his forehead, everyone will try and kill him as quickly as possible. But if you fully buff him (Celestial Rites, Starlight, Serpent Staff, Mystic Shield, Curse of Years, Slann constellation) and then teleport him into the enemy there will be tears. :D

I don't like him style wise though, that Forgeworld model looks like a giant scaly rat. He has some great elements on him, but the pose if just bad and the head (while looking cool) IMO is too big for the body and the spikes are too long.

11. Crowsfoot
    Slann

He is tough as @Aginor has pointed out but a wise opponent will limit where he can be teleported, I would take some SCE probably ranged fire power, or 2 basilidons :)

12. Slam mage priest
    Skink

Slam mage priest New Member

Do not build a Troglodon. @Crowsfoot has a cool thread on how to make the most out of starter set and you can make a Troglodon from spare puts and some modelling putty relatively easily

13. dinoSTARZ
    Cold One

dinoSTARZ Active Member

I don't understand teleporting I guess. I didn't know you could even do that! I know you can SUMMON them in (but as Agnior said above, it could be unbound and therefore risky-ish). Teleport units hmmm! Sounds like a bonus seraphon trait! Glad I picked these guys for their looks, but I don't understand battalions and abilities really

14. Aginor
    Slann

Yeah it can be really useful. It has a chance for failing but you can help to prevent that, by using a spell.