1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS New Seraphon Player

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Barby007, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Bainbow Well-Known Member

Yeah this army of mine isn't exactly cheap, I only have it because I've been playing since late 7th ed, so I've had a looooooong time to put it together little bit by bit. But to start, I'd recommend you find a balance between heroes and infantry. The heroes definitely do more stuff and are more valuable in that regard, but without infantry to stand up to the enemy I'd say you're toast. Were I you, I'd keep it so that the basic infantry of TG make up about 1/3 of my army at all times based on whatever balancing system you're using, if any (40 TG being 1/3 of the 125 Wound limit I play to,) and then fill out the rest of your space with other units, starting with the heroes because heroes are very important to Seraphon. Just build your army gradually using that, starting with Kroak, then the Warden for the Eternal Starhost, then the Astriloth, then the Basi, then Chameleons, then whatever you want in any order.

Barby007 likes this.
  2. Barby007
    Skink

Barby007 New Member

I'll invest in 2 boxes of Temple Guard for now since all I have is the Seraphon $85 starter & a Slann Starmaster. I'm guessing the next buy after that should be Lord Kroak. Thanks for being so helpful! I really appreciate it!

Barby

3. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Last quick note, Kroak is a killer, not a support.This is what distinguishes him from the Starmaster, who is a supportive mage. Kroak can literally use all four of his spells unloading Mortal Wounds on the enemy in a huge AoE, and can snipe enemy heroes from across the map with his global Comet's Call, both of his unique spells don't need line of sight. And Celestial Deliverance with the Astriloth's bonus spell range becomes savage. This should be Kroak's job, unloading as many Mortal Wounds as he can. The Starseer and Starpriest are there to pick up the slack with magic support because Kroak shouldn't. That's why he's in a defensive army, not an aggressive one.

Barby007 likes this.
  4. Hero606v2
    Skink

Hero606v2 New Member

Have to agree, I so want the Temple Guard and Warden as well now!

5. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Be warned that they do have their own weaknesses. Line-Breakers such as Retributors, Warpfire Throwers, and Goblin Spider Riders will ruin your day without even trying, and ranged armies are a good natural counter for defensive armies in general so look out for Skinks, Empire, Dwarfs, and Wanderers.

6. Hero606v2
    Skink

Hero606v2 New Member

It's very much chaos based around me, a number of players have gone for mixed demon armies using Nurgle tanks and several Tzeentch wizards copying the Lord of Change Infernal Gateway spell, previously I was playing Bloodbound so was getting chewed up by them.

7. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Seraphon are the daemon-slayer army, so Chaos is going to have a bad time if they try to take you on, the more daemons they have the worse it'll be for them.

8. Barby007
    Skink

Barby007 New Member

That's awesome to know. Fighting is more my play style than support to be honest. I'm glad to hear Kroak is more my style of play.

I tend to play gains Skaven, Empire, Chaos Daemons, & Orcs. Mostly Skaven though. Will TG list work well against these or more StarMaster?

Thank you,
    Barby

9. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

You'll have an advantage against all of those (unless the Empire player uses a good gunline army because you'll have trouble against them if they do, especially if they use a Celestial Hurricanum,) Orcs are tough with big wounds, big monsters, and big fighters but their lack of armour and speed will play to your advantage as they just crash into your line and do no damage so long as you keep an eye on their monsters (ironically Orcs aren't hard for us but Goblins can wreck us easy,) and Daemons are easy because of our damage bonuses against them so a Solar Engine on a Basi or some Celestial Deliverances will end them quickly. The Skaven shouldn't be a problem as they focus on swarms of weak fighters, which leaves them without the means to break our Save as those swarms will try to win via Death By Thousand Cuts, which won't penetrate armour. However if they have Warpfire Throwers, kill them first because those Mortal Wounds will get right past our save and can wreck your defensive line. Thankfully the Warpfire Throwers only have 3 Wounds, so a well placed Comet's Call can take them out on turn 1. If that fails, some Chameleon Skinks or a shot from the Basi's beam should sort things out.

Hm... judging by that lineup of enemies, I think getting a unit of Chameleons early might actually be worth it. They get bonuses against Daemons and can take out Skaven Weapons Teams very easily.

Barby007 likes this.
  10. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

StealthKnightSteg Well-Known Member

Not sure how you are doing this... Chameleons have bonus against CHAOS DAEMONS... but skaven are only CHAOS

11. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

You're not sure how I'm doing what?

12. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

Well your sentence about the chameleons suggests (to me anyway) that they might do more damage to the Skaven Weapon teams due to the bonusses against Daemons. But Skaven aren't Daemons.

13. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Well then you've read incorrectly. As I said, they get bonuses against daemons and can take out weapons teams easily. Two separate things.

Barby007 likes this.
  14. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

Ok then :)
    carry on!