1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS New Seraphon units?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by IWAT_The_Spidiladon, Nov 1, 2018.

1. IWAT_The_Spidiladon
    Jungle Swarm

IWAT_The_Spidiladon New Member

When/if Seraphon gets an update what kind of new units would you like to see? What might help balance out their army, what might just be awesome? What might help them contend with current meta? Just an open thread, looking forward to seeing your ideas and thoughts!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  2. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

We are pretty strong in the current Meta. Unfortunately we are only strong at 2k Matched Play Points when we run a Slann as our general. I would like another viable option that doesn't require a Slann to be our general.

We could also use a beefier save. Gone are the days of Thickly Scaled wards. Perhaps even just making the Saurus Shields ignore the first level or rend instead of rend less than -2.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  3. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

I agree about the Slann as General issues. It's so stupidly stronger then our other options that there is no competition.

But i find that we are a top army also at 1000, where the combo astrolith + Slann brings some real summoning pain. There are very few armies that at 1000 can make a stand against our summoning potential.

On the topic of the debate, i'd like to see an implement of some of our existing units ( guards) BUT I would love a flying BIG dino... quetzalcoatl FTW.

4. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

especially with the model from Fallen(lost?) kingdoms looking as sick as it does.

5. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

- Reworks of some existing stuff E.g. Guards actually being sturdy, make skink heroes capable commanders, prayers for our priests, a spelllore, more synergy for our saurus heroes that isn't linked to their command abilities and synergy between skinks, big dino's and saurus units instead of the sharp division we currently have.
    - Some skinks that are capable in melee so I can have a proper skink based army. Preferably both an elite and "normal" variant.
    - Some melee oriented skink heroes to lead em, a skink chieftan, a champion that sorta thing. Preferably 3 variants of each of em, on foot, on a "small" mount like a terradon and on a massive (new?) dinosaur.
    - Some medium sized dino's, similar in scope to SCE dracoths, so we can field more of our "big" stuff without worrying about the behemoth slots.
    - Various endless spells
    - A big flying dinosaur
    - Some more elite mounted saurus units.

Also, some named heroes, we only have Kroak and he's like legendary in our lore. It's weird. It's like having Nagash but none of his luitenants as undeath. We need some more "minor" named characters so it isn't just legendary god-like character or a no-named nobody.

That's about it I'd say.

6. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

How about some jungle-themed versions? of some of the existing endless spells.

Instead of a wall of crystals....a wall of bamboo spikes.

Instead of a wave of disgusting ghost/skullz....a wave of snakes and venomous things.

Etc.

7. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Meh, if they're merely themed variants it's too much of a rip-off to feel very satisfying. They need to have quite different effects.

I'd like if they'd play around our whole "slann remember things into existing"-thing.

A neat one could be

- Summon memories of battle: summon a unit the slann remembered. Basicly acts like a normal unit, so it can move and fight and whatnot. Also unlike other endless spells you will never lose control over it. It can't take objectives though. But aside from being dispelled like normal endless spells it can also be "killed" by shooting and/or stabbing it. Has a healing ability similar to nurglings, so if you wanne kill it it has to be done in a single combat phase. Also, unlike other spells it isn't subjected to the rule of 1, feels like it should not be limited by that given what it represents. Though there should be a hard limit on how many of em you can field at a time. Say 1 per seraphon caster in your army and 1 extra for each slann in your army. Seems like a neat lil hybrid between endless spell and unit and it fits with our fluff. We could have several variations of it with each filling a different niche (e.g. infantry, a big monster, cavalry, or a unit with some nasty special rule).

Besides that some other options would be
    - Temporary summons of our units. E.g. dump a bastiladon in front of his army in a nice lil choke-point for 1 turn to eat the entire charge, after that turn it just dissapates regardless of it being killed or not. This should not have the usual restrcitions on summoning, as temporary summons wouldn't be able to deal with the distances, but should come with other drawbacks. For example, worse stats than the normal permanent variations.

- Reinforcing of existing units. This spell would not heal. Thus distinguishing itself from the usual ressing and healing stuff. It'd help us deal with the mortal wound spam & it'd lead to some interesting tactis, like turning a minimum size warriors unit from a bloodclaw starhost into a surprise horde.

Though neither of those are really endless spells anymore I guess.

As for more jungle/seraphon themed stuff:

- Summon nests of snakes and other venomous stuff: summon 3 nests, all non-seraphon suffer minor damage when they move through a small zone around it or start their move inside of it. The size of the zone doubles each turn as the snakes go out of their lil nest and start seeking out those who would oppose the great plan.

- Meteor rain: summons meteors on a certain spot. Everything with a large radius gets bombarded every turn. Roll a dice for each unit affected on a 4+ it gets hit and suffers significant damage.

- Summon the wilds: summon a stampede of various big jungle creatures. They go on a rampage and trample stuff dealing damage. Units affected get swapped up in the stampede and are pushed aside a certain distance, move em up to X". This may not be in the direction the stampede originated from, but may be to the side.

- Do something with our spaceships. We cannonically have spaceships. In what is essentially a high-fantasy setting (AoS does not feel anywhere near as grimdark as other warhammer stuff). Why aren't we using em for anything?

- Create spawningpool: heals/reinforces seraphon. Can be corrupted by an enemy to instead damage us if they get a hero near it and pass a diceroll.

Frankly the memories of battle thing is the best one I can think of. It's unique, it fits with our fluff, it's interesting & it allows for a number of variations thus opening up a bunch of options. The rest is just variations of what already exists and not all that interesting...

8. Killer Angel
    Slann

if we're going to get new units, it won't be this xmas…

9. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

I have heard rumors that the next AoS army will be Dark Aelf'ish. Similar to Tenebrael Shard from the Silvertower box game. No idea how valid they are though.

10. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

seriously more aelfs? We already had fish aelfs and witch aelfs in the past year. And we also already have tree aelfs. Don't we have enough of em yet?

11. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

I think it is part of the continuing narrative of the Soul Wars. The Aelf gods in concert with Morathi who was draining Slannesh. I am pretty sure these will be the shadow Aelfs from Ulgu. If they are indeed real.

12. Killer Angel
    Slann

Yeah, it could make sense.
    Still it doesn't invalid what has been said by @Canas... the aelves' birth rate is vastly surpassing the skavens' :meh:

Nart and LizardWizard like this.
  13. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

The story is fine. But it does result in rather many similar armies at once (aelves, undeath). Fortunatly there's some beastmen and apparently some moonclan thrown in there as well. But it's still rather a lot of aelves and corpses/ghosts.

LizardWizard likes this.
  14. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

That is true. I would love a Grots Battletome and a Darkoath/S2S+Everchosen battletome.

This thread got off topic quickly. LOL

15. Jatipower
    Saurus

Jatipower Member

First moonclan, slanesh and the darkoath (the barbarians i cant remember the name xD) and then maybe aelf but that 3 go first

16. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

also, why the hell do we not yet have a battletome for the freeguilds & their minor aelven and duardin friends? They're mentioned in nearly every bit of lore so they're clearly of some importance...

LizardWizard likes this.
  17. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Because their models suck.

LizardWizard and Dr Kaos like this.
  18. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

There's 75 models on the GW site for the various human duardin and aelven subfactions that just sit around in the cities of order. You can't tell me all of those are terrible. There should be something salvageable in there to turn into a a nice rag-tag army of survivors & builders trying to scrape by in a world dominated by nonsense like the SCE and chaos. Especially seeing how they're constantly refered to in bits of fluff as the actual population of the cities of order, they should make up the bulk of civilization yet have no tome.

19. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Ok, ok, you got me there.
    I was a bit cranky because of work and it showed in my post. It shouldn't have, I am sorry.

What I intended to say:

IMO most of the human models don't fit the AoS aesthetic at all, and they are old. I am pretty sure GW wants to phase them out.

As for the other ones: some of the Aelves and Duardin definitely still look nice enough, and yes I think GW should do something with them. Maybe a kind of "soup faction" that basically puts some Duardin, Aelves and humans together as an army of free peoples.

Canas likes this.
  20. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

To be honest, them not fitting in is in itself ironically fitting. They are essentially a bunch of outcasts in the mortal realms trying to eke out an existance. So a mismatch of aesthetics isn't too bad here I guess.

But yeah, I suppose they'd want to phase them out. It just surprises me they can simultaniously get so much attention in the fluff while getting no attention whatsoever in respect to models. At least the other forgotten factions like the various grots & trolls don't seem to do all that much in the fluff currently.