1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help New spawnling- how to paint?

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by WGXH, Nov 8, 2015.

1. WGXH
    Jungle Swarm

WGXH New Member

Hi guys,

Just starting up Lizardmen for the first time, and I have to confess, I'm starting a little daunted.

Been doing the hobby for near enough 3 years, but have never quite hit the ground running with an army. Always have they had elements of sprue grey, and the paint schemes I have done have ended... well, abysmally.

What drew my eyes to Lizards is the vibrant and bright potential colours for them, and I was hoping the following would result in, if nothing else, passable scalies.

Would it be straightforward enough to prime the models white and then proceed to heavily ink them to give a bright, yet coloured effect?

For instance, for green lizards, primed white and then inked Athonian Camoshade, blue skinks same with Drakenhof Nightshade, so on so forth.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated- treat this as you would any other newbie post.

Thanks guys!
    WGXH

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Welcome aboard,

Washing a white primer works but you have to be patient and careful not to over wash, it's a pretty fast method for painting as your wash is acting as shade and highlight.

You can take it much further if you wish, over wash certain areas for a contrast, highlight after with drybrushing, etc

Best advice is limit your colours to start with and use contrasting colours to make your models pop.

Do one coat and don't let the wash puddle, if the deeper recess need more shade you can spot wash the area, if the raised edges need a highlight mix white with a spot of your wash colour it will help it blend in and stop it appearing too white.

If I was doing this method I would paint all the armour, weapons first then touch up the primer then apply the wash, last thing you want is the white not being crisp and clean.

Post some pics of your progress and hopefully you will enjoy painting your Seraphon.

4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

better if you do a light base layer of your color before you do a similar colored wash.

5. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

Hi

You can paint you models in a number of different ways all depending on how much time and effort you want to use.

With that said then yes you can prime a model with and use the thinner paints on top, however be prepared to try out different combinations to see what fits you. Unless my memory fails me I belive my first saurus warriors went like this: white prime -> bloodletter glaze -> Carroburg Crimsom for the skin. Both colors are thin. My scales were some sort of base brown and carroburh crimsom.

It allowed me to create some very nicely painted saurus warriors considering my actual painting skills, however there were some issues:
    1. Using the above method is actually not necessarily easy. If you're not careful the thin paint might dry up in places and leave an edge. The edge will be easily visible because the layer beneath is white. To my experience this was mostly an issue on the chest/leg area. Generally speaking it's a matter of learning how the paint works - the brush in this case can act as a sponge and suck up excess paint.
    2. If you get too comfortable with the above method you don't actually learn to paint bigger models and will eventually run into troubles on our monsters.
    If you want an easy method for the skin I'd say:
    1. Prime white/black depending on the following colors.
    2. add base coat.
    3. add shade.
    4. get a good large drybrush such as this http://www.games-workshop.com/en-DK/L-Drybrush and use either the previous base coat or add a more lighter color.
    For the scales you just paint them up and give them a shade on top of it. This is actually what I'm doing with my current models and so far it have worked wonderfully. When I paint characters I put more time and effort into them, with highlights etc.

You'll get great results with the above. Once you get better you can experiment on some more sophisticated highlights.